Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Loc: shambhala
I need to eat food when I'm camping
    #2628091 - 05/02/04 01:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Right, I know I've posted this sorta thing here before a while ago, but the response was frankly dissapointing, lads. The thread deteriorated into a fishing-enthusiasts boasting session, which did little to help me develop my wild culinary behaviour. (j/k btw).

Anyways, any good, honest, wholesome, tasty, nourishing, reviving, cheap recipes would be very much appreciated as I'm gonna be stuck out in the middle of Mull (small Scottish island) with very little in the way of knowledge.

Bear in mind I'll have to carry what I'm cooking, possibly for several days.

Another question, which might seem silly, is that if water is boiled, will it be steralised? If I get water from a random stream, can I boil it then safely drink it? Out of interest, could you do this with sea water?

Many thanks etc

--------------------
let yourself be silently drawn by the stronger pull of what you really love

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: I need to eat food when I'm camping [Re: mr_kite]
    #2628122 - 05/02/04 01:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well, i always try to carry dried foods, stuff that just
needs water and heat. This keep sweight down, and makes
the one pot cook quite easy, one pot cook =  best, easyest
way to cook when camping light. Think what will go into one pot.

Pasta, once ready,drain add tuna/ an egg/ anything you can
eat :grin: reheat, serve.

rice, same deal.

Noodles same deal.

Potaote are heavyer, but oftern found along the way, and
make great one pot meals, boil mash, add anything, reheat and eat.

I might be a lazy camper, but thats how I do it.

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

Re: I need to eat food when I'm camping [Re: Loki]
    #2628126 - 05/02/04 01:48 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

P.s good sauce. All these meals are bland, but a
jar of chilli, curry, or your fav condensted cooking sauce = very usefull.
Def after the 7th pasta peas and egg hot pot :grin:

Sugar, again makes even the worse coffee taste ok.
Salt and pepper, small easy to carry, and can change a meal.

InvisibleLoki
Ferret Farmer
Trans-male User Gallery

#2628140 - 05/02/04 01:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

In the highlands and isle, most water is good to drink from the stream, the key is to walk up stream for a good 500 yards, just to make sure there isnt a dead sheep or something there, then walk back to the starting point and collect water. Boiling it might be a good idea as well.

You cant do that with sea water, you need something to take the salt out. You can buy a small unit that can do it, but its not worth it, scotland is not short of water :wink: A small water purifyer is easy to carry, but I never ended up using mine, and it has just collected dust, and never gets packed due to space requirements.

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Re: I need to eat food when I'm camping [Re: Loki]
    #2628227 - 05/02/04 02:26 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Cheers, yeah I reckon sauces sound good. Tinned foods is all I've eaten on previous trips, and they're fine but jazzin them up a bit would be good.

I'm familiar with the "walking upstream to check for dead sheep" theory; I was just wondering that even if there was dead sheep nonsense in my water, would boiling it make it safe? Obviously better to avoid dead sheep altogether, but just in case it wasn't noticed... :shocked:!

--------------------

Invisiblezeta
Stranger

#2630643 - 05/03/04 01:42 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Water can be sterilised by boiling vigorously for 5 minutes, but I find it much easier to buy water purification tablets

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
    #2634986 - 05/03/04 11:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Looks like loki's given you a nice rundown.  All I can suggest more is that if you're backpacking, you really will want to pack light.. and things like eggs and what not, while tasty, will add extra weight and fragility to your cargo. 

I would recommend going to your local store and finding any and all of their dehydrated foods.  This includes meals that come in those rectangular cardboard boxes like "beef stroganoff (beef included)."  You can even buy an assortment and mix to your own taste.  Throw a bit of the beef stroganoff in with a bit of dehydrated Minestrone soup mix and you never know what you'll get.. but it can be delicious :grin:

If you do go this route, I would also recommend emptying out these foods into ziplock backs to optimize for space. 

If it is a short trip and you're willing to lug a fair amount, bring some crackers and sardines or perhaps a dried sausage like italian salami or the like.  Cheeses are always good of course.  Salt & Pepper is a must on any camping trip as it can boost the most dull foods to proper flavorliciousness. 

Canned stews and chilis are of course an excellent hearty meal for camping if you can afford to lug it... and if you're really feeling aristocratic, bring along an onion with your cheese to top off the chili :cool:

Have fun :sun:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: I need to eat food when I'm camping [Re: geokills]
    #2635333 - 05/04/04 12:35 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

one drop of iodine solution when boiling help too.

eat dihyrated food pills. its on ren and stympy that im watching right now. weird.haah

pasta is key and canned meat sauce if you can.

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
    #2635357 - 05/04/04 12:41 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Ramen noodle soup boiled in beer!
you dont have to worry about the water being safe-beer is safe right?
and Ramen chicken flavored soup rocks!

you do take beer when you go camping dont you?

:cool:

--------------------

Offlinethe man
still masked
Other User Gallery

Loc: C A N A D A
Re: I need to eat food when I'm camping [Re: doc34]
    #2637687 - 05/04/04 04:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

haha how do you carry enough beer. if you bring booze you bring hard booze.

--------------------
And Moses Said "Let my mushrooms grow!"

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: I need to eat food when I'm camping [Re: the man]
    #2638019 - 05/04/04 05:51 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well,of course,but you only bring the beer to cook with-it brings out the flavor of the food!

Get thirsty=drink liqour
get hungry=use beer
afterwards= :projectile:

--------------------

Offlinemr_kite
The Watcher
Male

Re: I need to eat food when I'm camping [Re: doc34]
    #2640643 - 05/05/04 06:13 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Some of that shit sounds tastier than the stuff I eat at home!

Thanks for the input guys, its gonna be a good trip.

--------------------

OfflineFlusH
Random person on Internet

Loc: Bizzaro World
    #2649701 - 05/07/04 11:07 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Bring a nice big steak for yourself. One that you will not be able to finish in one sitting. For breakfeast ( or lunch, depending when you wake up..) make some fajita's by frying up some large white onion's, throwing in the left over steak, and frank's redhot. Then wrap it up in a warm tortilla shell with lot's of cheeze and there you go. Add egg's for filler.

--------------------

OfflineHypnoToad
Stranger

#2654131 - 05/08/04 05:10 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'd personally bring gallons of purified water.(Although I can carry very heavy packs long distances.)But if you must use water from nature,find a good clear stream preferable mountain streams and use water purification tablets.They are safer than boiling alone.

In regards to sea water it MUST be distilled before it is safe to drink.Sea water contains insane amounts of sodium and its not healthy and a few days of salt water especially about a week or so and it can and will likely kill you.Sooner if you have heart or blood pressure problems.

To reduce the weight of your pack,instead of bringing water use stream water and purification tablets.Avoid anything heavy like canned food items and pack mostly dried foods like pasta,rice,dried egg powder,dry milk,dried fruits and nuts,etc.A great idea if you have a food dehydrator is to dehydrate a whole bunch of various veggies(any veggies will work so will mushrooms) and store them in ziplock bags and then pack beef or chicken boullion cubes then to make soup all you need to do boil water and make boullion according to instructions then drop in your veggies and in a few minutes you have a large amount of soup.You can also toss in rice or noodles if you desire to.Its far lighter to pack that stuff than to carry the equivalent to a pot of soup in cans.There are also tasty wild foods in that can be collected in totally wild areas.A book on the sbject can be very useful.

--------------------
"There is no fire like lust, no grip like hate, no net like delusions, no river like craving."

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2654316 - 05/08/04 05:58 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Take iodine tablets or an expensive water filter.

After hiking, anything w/ a ton of calories will taste great. Butter lasts pretty well, as long as it isn't summer. Same w/ cheese. Dried potato flakes, powdered eggs, while less than delicious normally, can seem like ambrosia after a hard days hike.

The best meal is to cook up a bunch of pasta or rehydrated potato flakes, add plenty of cheese, oil, butter - any kind of fat - and eat until you can eat no more. Top it off with a few heavy slugs from a bottle of bourbon (or your favorite whiskey) and you're good to go.

I love boards of canada, by the way. Listening to them now.

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: I need to eat food when I'm camping [Re: HypnoToad]
    #2738158 - 05/27/04 06:41 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup: i like the dried vegetable soup idea, thats a good one (too bad i don't have a dehydrator, but hey).

i'd say:

breakfast: dried oatmeal (plain w/ cinnamon and raisons or flavored) or cereal w/ dried milk

lunch: crackers w/ cheese and salami or peanut butter and jelly

dinner: Pasta, ramen noodles, rice, cous cous, dried potatoes (surprisingly better than one would think) and add what people have mentioned.  your favorite condiment = k3y

mmm, im getting hungry again, thats the problem with this forum :wink:

OfflineMixomatosis
great ape

Loc: cipherland
    #2747237 - 05/30/04 03:18 PM (19 years, 9 months ago)

Step aside, fools

I am the OG camp-cook maestro P.I.M.P. You need one pot capable of holding 6 cups, that's 1.5 litres of water. The best camping ones have the handle that can flip down and lock the lid on, so it's like metal tupperware and you can throw it in your pack and carry it around.

Essential:

flavour:
Onions and garlic
Jalapeno or something spicy, tabasco, whatever
Sea salt

staples:
Quinoa
red lentils
oats, quick or rolled

Additional variety:
yams (not sweet potatoes or normal potatoes)
beets
plantains (nice n ripe)
more onions
Fruit.. dried is good.. banana, apple

and some NUTS! Anything but peanuts.

Drop the following into the hot coals and wait:

yams, beets, onions, plantains, bananas. The outside will burn and be like charcoal, test with bamboo skewer how soft the inside is, then scrape off the charcoal and it's ready to eat.

Use the pot for the following:

Quinoa, lentils, oats. Add salt to them as they cook. You can cook open top without the lid. When cooking this or rice (only brown rice pls, but it takes too long so I use quinoa, king of the grains) or whatever, always use too much water. When the water is boiled off it's cooked, if it isn't, then just add more water until it is. Oats cooked with fruit and salt is great. I like taking braggs or soya sauce but isn't essential. Pot position in fire: On coals, on rock near coals if you need less heat. Stir often.

You can mix it all together.. cooked yams thrown in with quinoa and onions and beets, whatever, just throw it together and add heat. Be brave.

Additional tips:

cook fish by wrapping fish in leaves (check they aren't too pungent) and then cover in moist clay that you dig up. Throw in fire for a while and then crack open primitive oven and voila.

Also, make a dough, stick it on a stick, and boom! Food! How to make baic dough: some kinda flour + water.

Throw all your grains and lentils in a pot together. Cook. Eat.

If people learned how fun and easy it is to be creative with cooking on a campfire the marshmallow and hot dog companies would go under. Way under.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag