Home | Community | Message Board

Shroom Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinedavid18
Stranger
Are my friends jars too wet?
    #2629839 - 05/03/04 12:38 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

My friend i using the cracked corn method for his jars. He boiled the cracked corn, stained it till water stopped dripping, put it into pint jars(3/4 full), Then pressure cooked all the jars for 1.5 hours but when i took them out of the pc all the cracked corn was stuck together. I shook the jars but the cake did not break up. Are the jars too wet or would it be ok to innoculate?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

Re: Are my friends jars too wet? [Re: david18]
    #2630710 - 05/03/04 04:44 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

jars are too wet...

let the corn drain for 30 mins to an hour...  I notice the PC doesn't lose much water in the jars...

I will let my rye berries dry for 30 mins to an hour and they break apart great once I get done pressure cooking.  it took my awhile to figure it all out. enjoy

:laugh:

Offlinedoc34
Fungitarian
Male User Gallery

Loc: Myceliaville !!!
Re: Are my friends jars too wet? [Re: david18]
    #2630796 - 05/03/04 06:46 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Did you rinse it very well after you boiled it?
Doesnt corn ,when boiled,create a goey film on the outside of the kernels?
From my understanding you have to rinse it well after soaking and after boiling to remove this gel like substance(starch?)from the kernels.If you dont you get kernels that are stuck together after pc'ing.Or cooked together,I should say.

Just my 2 c's
:thumbup: :cool:

--------------------

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Are my friends jars too wet? [Re: ]
    #2630801 - 05/03/04 06:54 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Damn, I always gotta do shit backwards. Well I have something you may wanna try but it's a pain in the ass. When I take out my rye from simmering I pour it into a strainer or challender or whatever it's called. I let it drain for about 5 seconds before I'm pouring water threw em. I rinse them off with 6 gallons of water (for every 10 quarts. Don't even ask, I have no idea where I got that 6 gallon number from. I was smoking Hawaiian and it just came to me.)

Right when I'm done rinsing them off I start putting them in the jar and PCing. I found that the water removed a lot of the starch  (you can really see it in the rinse) and that was the main factor in the grains sticking together.

Well it works for me but it would be nice to have someone give it a try and get back so I'm not just blowing smoke out my ass here.  :grin: :mushroom2: :wexican: :cheers:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation