Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinezafra
Stranger
 User Gallery
How to avoid "over-pinning" in grow bag (oysters)
    #26298324 - 11/04/19 02:31 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Hi all. I'm doing oysters (Phoenix, golden and pink) in grow bags. I've done sterilized substrate but recently switched to pasteurization so I followed common protocol and poked holes in the bag at the outset. On my first pink bag (I've been all Phoenix till now) I've got pinning EVERYWHERE. Obviously they can't all be mushrooms and it looks like a lot of wasted energy to me. I've had the same problem with the Phoenix when I didn't poke the holes until pinning started, and now expect the same with a golden bag that's just finishing up colonization. What can be done to avoid this???
On a related note, I had a contam in one bag I poked the holes in right at the hole site. This seems pretty likely to happen so I'm wondering, how is it supposed to work with pasteurization if you poke the holes right away before the mycelium gets the upper hand? Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the bag sealed with a filter patch and poke the holes after colonization? Am I missing something?
Thanks in advance for your input!

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSHROOMSISAY01
Mr. Shrooms
Male User Gallery

Loc: Virginia, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: How to avoid "over-pinning" in grow bag (oysters) [Re: zafra]
    #26299625 - 11/05/19 12:20 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

What are you using for sub? I bet you are using straw. Where the sub gets FAE it will pin. Straw allows FAE to go everywhere. Thus all the pinning. Pack the straw as much as you can and then cut the bag where it is tightest against the bag usually the bottom of the bag. But I use soy hulls and fuel pellets it is much easier.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms