Home | Community | Message Board

HighDesertSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineParabolaChair
Re: human centric belief systems. [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2632519 - 05/03/04 05:11 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Right, that is my point...I think you are agreeing with me here.

On one level they are "silly abstractions" while at our human level they seem absolute and important.

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: human centric belief systems. [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2632697 - 05/03/04 05:45 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

Care to explain what you mean?

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineParabolaChair
Re: human centric belief systems. [Re: valour]
    #2633915 - 05/03/04 09:31 PM (17 years, 7 months ago)

As human beings we tend to define laws and morals as absolute...we assert assumptions and meanings and definitions that we have created through our experience and psychological condition as being correct and meaningful beyond our context, that being our own mind. I.E, people say, "killing is bad" or "the universe had to have a start." These statements are the product of inbuilt psycho-biological factors and environmental infleunces... As we can understand through looking at people who are extreme deviations from the "standard" mind model, such as somone who is schiztofrenic...the things that we believe exist, don't neccesarily, while other things that we experience do, as they can be measured and experienced by more than one individual...two schitzos will not see the same hallucination, while two people perceiving a chair will both see the chair, the same chair.

There is a striking difference between the 'things' that we perceive and understand, and the universal assumptions that we draw from this statistical matrix that we perceive through our experience of living.

Cognitive functions incline us to recognize patterns, and our social behavoirs impel us to create meaning between eachother...so socially, we recognize and define patterns, which causes us to say things like..."Since the universe is here, now, it must have begun at a certain definitive point in time." All of our understandings point to this statistical assumption - everything we experience in our universe proves this equation - everything we experience has a begining and a conceivable end, from a plant to an atom of oxygen. This very fact makes it clear that in fact, the universe doesn't neccesarily have to have a begining or an end...it is just our human-centric view of the world, and our state of mind which relies on our implicit understanding to define the world around us, that makes us see the world in these ways....

Thus, the "silly abstractions" are relevant to our lives, but when we try to define much greater conditions of life and the universe through these abstractions, we fundamentally forget that our own understandings are only a product of our context and ourselves, and thus cannot be applied to universal conditions, or made into anything absolute.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]