Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineShrumpy
Stranger
I'm a teapot
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: ScotTony] * 1
    #25809065 - 02/13/19 12:07 AM (5 years, 1 month ago)

My favourite is plain and simple!

Mushrooms (usually Oyster and Shiitake) fried on a pan with a little spring onion and garlic on sourdough toast.
YUM!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineHabadashery
Male

Loc: Washington State Flag
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Shrumpy] * 1
    #26290872 - 10/31/19 10:36 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I recently read a book called "the wisdon of the shire", a short guide to a long and happy life.  Awesome book, fun short read for anyone who just loves the lord of the rings, or hobbits in general!  I am myself a hobbit at heart.

In this book he shared a recipe, and I have done it several times now with some modifications of my own, and I must say it is excellent!  Never have I made a soup with beer, but now I cook with beer constantly.  To think I've been just drinking it all these years!

Hobbit Stout and Mushroom Soup

Serves 3-4 humans.  Or 2 hungry hobbits.

Ingredients:

1 Large yellow onion Diced

5 large cloves garlic

Lots of butter.  I used over half a stick by the end of this.

3 stalks celery Diced

3 big carrots Cut in rounds, large end rounds halved

Rosemary, 3 small 2-3inch sections of branch, stripped and minced (probably a heaping tbsp)

Thyme, 5 small branches stripped and minced (probably another heaping tbsp)

Salt and pepper to taste

3 tbsp flour (I omitted this, sort of.  I powdered dried chanterelles and poured it in with the heavy cream step, I know it ain't thickening anything like a Rue, but whatevs)

0.75-1lb rib eye(this is just what I used, use whatever)

1 pound mushrooms, I've used buttons with shiitakes, chanterelles, chanterelles with lobsters, all good.  Store bought will do, but home grown/foraged are the best of course, just don't get caught trespassing in Farmer Maggots fields!  (Do more mushrooms if you don't want the beef, hell with it, double up if you want, life is short!)

3 cups stock or bone broth, use whatever.  Got any bones on hand, toss them in!

3/4-1 cup BEER!  Recipe called for elysian dragontooth stout to keep in theme with the hobbit, but any strong malty dark beer will do.

1 cup heavy whipping cream, no halfassing it with half and half.  The heavy stuff.

Trust me, take the time to really cook the onions and do the steps like I wrote them, don't just throw all the veggies in and simmer, you won't regret this.  Similar to what a wise hobbit once said, "short cuts make long delays".  I don't like super mushy vegetables, if you do, feel free to do whatever.

Directions:

Step 1. saute onions and garlic in butter in your pot until at least partially caramelized.  20 minutes probably. If you want to caramelize them, plan on like 40-45 minutes.

Step 2. as onions/garlic are cooking, cut up some beef into 1inch cubes and pan fry it in butter, fairly hot.  Brown it up, not to much.

Step 3. when beef is browned and onions done, toss beef in the pot with stock, salt/pepper, rosemary and thyme.  Simmer on low-medium(4 on my dial) for 45 minutes.  If it starts to spit cause the water level is low, toss in some more broth.

Step 4.  Cut up carrots and celery, pan fry until a little browned,  7-8 minutes?.  When the beef is done simmering, toss the veggies in and simmer for 10 more minutes.

Step. 5  Cut up mushrooms.  Fry em in, you guessed it, butter.  My chanterelles took over 15 minutes, trying to evaporate all the water. Shiitakes done in 6-7.

Step 6.  Mushrooms are cooked, toss em in the soup, you probably got some tasty looking stuff stuck to your pan by now, deglaze it with a little dark beer, then add that and the rest to the soup.  Simmer for 5-6 minutes.

Step 7.  Toss in a cup of heavy cream, be sure to scrape all the fat that has stuck to the sides of the carton!  Simmer until it is as thick as you want it, for me 15-20 minutes is all I can stand at that point.  It should smell amazing.

Step 8.  Eat with some fancy bread and lots of butter.  Best shared among agreeable company, with tasty beer, around a warm hearth.

If you want to double the recipe, omit a cup of broth.

--------------------

Offlinehot_squirrel
Stranger
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RogerRabbit] * 1
    #26291105 - 11/01/19 03:58 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

I love mushrooms even more than meat, so sometimes I mix it up!)
Here is my best and tasty recipe of Stuffed Mushrooms
All you need is: 12 fresh mushrooms; 1/2 pound ground beef; 1 tablespoon minced onion; 1 clove garlic, minced; 1 tablespoon butter; 1/4 cup bread crumbs salt and pepper to taste; 1/4 cup heavy cream; 1/4 cup butter, melted1 teaspoon chili powder
Step by step instruction:
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C). Remove and chop mushroom stems.
2) In a saucepan over medium heat, combine ground beef, onion, and garlic. Cook until beef is no longer pink; drain. Mix in chopped mushroom stems, 1 tablespoon butter, bread crumbs, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and stir in cream.
3) Dip mushroom caps in 1/4 cup melted butter, and stuff generously with meat mixture. Arrange stuffed mushrooms in a baking dish. Sprinkle with chili powder.
4) Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven.
Bon appetit!!!!

Offlinecarnalrekt
Stranger
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: hot_squirrel] * 1
    #26308529 - 11/09/19 03:58 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

:thumbup:

InvisibleZenZone
Male User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: carnalrekt] * 1
    #26370039 - 12/09/19 12:21 AM (4 years, 3 months ago)

I thought this was simple and neat: (english subtitles)

OfflineShu
Vote for Humanity
Male User Gallery

Loc: PA, USA
    #26490573 - 02/17/20 05:52 PM (4 years, 1 month ago)

Made some crazy good shiitake risotto from fresh vegi/shroom stock, creamed leeks,

roasted shiitake, onions, and button shrooms (in place of truffle)

served with chicken francese...

OfflineBiGF0007
MoldFarmer
 User Gallery
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RogerRabbit] * 2
    #26817156 - 07/11/20 11:53 AM (3 years, 8 months ago)

Time to give something back to the community. After I've harvested my first flush of oysters and got good tips from people in here, I made something called

干煸平菇
干 spokem as gun = dry,
煸 spoken bee-n = fry,
平菇 spoken similar to peeng-goo = oyster mushroom

It is a Chinese dish where the oysters are stir fried without addition of water or liquids and it was delicious.

Roast sichuan pepper in a pan without oil on low heat until it is crisp and darkened a bit. Then grind it into powder using mortal and pestle.

Roast sesame seeds the same way but leave them as whole seeds. Put aside for later use.

Rip the oysters into small slices, then heat the pan, pour some oil into it and fry the oysters on high heat for a minute or so. Then water will come out. Continue to fry until all water has evaporated and until they are a bit brown on the outside.

Then add Cumin, dry chicken broth, ground roasted sichuan pepper, roasted sesame seeds and salt to it. Stir fry until everything is evenly distributed. Serve and enjoy.

Ingredients:
  • 200g oysters
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground roasted sichuan pepper (first used a mortar to grind it and then used a sieve to only get the fine particles out so it is hard to tell how much went inside)
  • 1,5 teaspoons roasted sesame seeds
  • 1/2 teaspoon chicken stock powder (you can try how much you need depending on the saltiness of your broth powder)
  • salt

Edited by BiGF0007 (07/21/20 03:56 AM)

OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RogerRabbit] * 5
    #27139908 - 01/10/21 02:02 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Pasta with Mushrooms and Prosciutto

I made this today with a pound of mixed mushrooms (Chestnut, Branched, and Wild Enoki). It was easy to make and did not take too long. The original recipe is from Bon Appetit. I made followed it quite close but have some good ideas for future bakes. I used fettucine for the pasta. It was rich and creamy and very flavorful.

Most recipes call for 1 pound of mushrooms for four servings. I think that is a little low. I suggest 1.5 or 2 pounds for this recipe if you have them. If not, you will still get a lot of mushroom flavor, just not as many mushroom pieces.

The prosciutto ends up crispy and crumbled like bacon bits. You could substitute bacon for the prosciutto without missing much. The shallots were good, but with the cream sauce red onions could be substituted for the shallots. I added some garlic to the mushrooms when they were cooking before the shallots were added because I like garlic. I topped with grated parmesan cheese.

I served with a white Rhone wine. A dry crisp wine that cut through the sauce nicely.

Ingredients
4 SERVINGS
¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto (about 6 slices)
1 pound mixed mushrooms (such as chanterelles, maitake, oyster, crimini, and/or shiitake), torn into bite-size pieces
2 medium shallots, finely chopped
1 teaspoon thyme leaves, plus more for serving
Kosher salt, freshly ground pepper
1 cup chicken stock or low-sodium chicken broth
12 ounces pappardelle or fettuccine
⅓ cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Preparation
Step 1
Heat ¼ cup oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium. Arrange prosciutto in a single layer in pot and cook, turning once or twice, until crisp, about 5 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain.
Step 2
Heat remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in same pot over high. Cook mushrooms, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, 5–8 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add shallots and 1 tsp. thyme, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until shallots are translucent and softened, about 2 minutes. Add stock and reduce heat to low. Bring to a simmer and cook until only a thin layer of stock coats bottom of pot, 5−7 minutes.
Step 3
Meanwhile, cook pasta in a large pot of boiling salted water, stirring occasionally, until very al dente, about 3 minutes less than package directions.
Step 4
Using tongs, transfer pasta to pot with mushrooms and add 1 cup pasta cooking liquid. Crumble half of prosciutto into pot. Increase heat to medium, bring to a simmer, and cook, tossing constantly, until pasta is al dente and liquid is slightly thickened, about 2 minutes. Add cream, return to a simmer, and cook, tossing, until pasta is coated, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, add butter, and toss to combine. Taste and season with salt if needed.
Step 5
Divide pasta among bowls. Top with more thyme and crumble remaining prosciutto over; season with pepper.

--------------------
Engineer | Pilot | Cordwainer | Brewer | Distiller | Wine Enthusiast |

Prints

OfflineGrenik
Wow!
 User Gallery

Re: Recipe Thread [Re: Grenik] * 5
    #27148143 - 01/14/21 04:51 PM (3 years, 2 months ago)

Mushroom Carbonara

Here is another mushroom and pasta recipe that turned out really well. The sauce is egg and cheese based instead of cream like the post above. It is also from Bon Appetit and I have modified it some. Both are good, but I liked this one better than the cream based sauce above.

Commentary
This recipe is probably a little more difficult than the other pasta recipe, but it is still quite easy to make. You have to separate some egg yolks and add them without making scrambled eggs. But the recipe helps you out.

As before, you can substitute red onion for the shallots, but I would try and use shallots in this one if possible. It is adding more of an aroma than a taste and this one has a lot of garlic and I think the shallots help out a lot.

I added some ham at the end to give some protein. It was OK, but it would have been better had I fried it until browned a in the pan with some spices before adding it.

I used 2 pounds of mushrooms. I used a combination of Branched Oyster, Chestnut, and Black Pearl Oyster

The pictures are the Black Pearl mushrooms. I guess they are a hybrid that start out growing like a king but then get a larger cap at the end and look like a pearl mushroom. The stems were not too tough. This was my first grow and I was very happy with them.

You may be able to tell, but I am the type that cooks with wine (and sometimes I put it in the dish!)

Ok, here is the recipe:

4 SERVINGS
Kosher salt
1½ lb. mushrooms (I used 2#)
6 garlic cloves
2 medium shallots
1 cup parsley leaves with tender stems (about ½ bunch) (I used more)
5 large egg yolks
1 large egg
4 oz. store-bought pre-grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper, plus more
¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 lb. orecchiette (I used fettuccini)

Steps
Fill a large pot with water and season well with a few big pinches of salt. Bring to a boil.

Meanwhile, do some veg prep! Tear off and discard stems of 1½ lb. crimini or button mushrooms, then tear them into quarters (or in halves if small). Transfer to a medium bowl. Lightly smash and peel 6 garlic cloves, then thinly slice. Peel and finely chop 2 medium shallots. (A small red onion will work fine in a pinch.) Coarsely chop 1 cup parsley leaves with tender stems.

Whisk 5 large egg yolks, 1 large whole egg, 4 oz. store-bought pre-grated Parmesan (about 1¼ cups), and 1½ tsp. freshly ground black pepper in another medium bowl; set aside.

Heat a large Dutch oven (I used a large, deep frying pan) over medium-high for a good 3 minutes. You want to get the pan very hot since adding the mushrooms is going to lower the temperature of the surface of the pan. Toss mushrooms and ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil once in pan to coat in oil. Cook, tossing once every 4–5 minutes (but mostly undisturbed), until mushrooms are mostly golden brown, 13–16 minutes. This will take some time and they will let out a lot of moisture before they start to brown, so stick with it!

Once mushrooms have been cooking for about 10 minutes, drop 1 lb. orecchiette into boiling salted water and set a timer 2 minutes shy of al dente according to package directions.

Back to those mushrooms! Once you’ve finished the browning process, reduce heat to medium-low and add garlic, shallots, and 1½ tsp. salt. Cook, stirring often, until aromatics are softened but not browned, 30–60 seconds.

When pasta is 2 minutes shy of al dente, scoop out 2 cups pasta cooking liquid, then drain pasta.

Add pasta along with 1 cup pasta cooking liquid to mushroom mixture. Cook over medium-low heat, stirring often to finish cooking the pasta and absorb liquid, about 2 minutes (this is why you’re cooking the pasta 2 minutes shy of al dente; it allows for the flavors to meld as the pasta finishes cooking in the sauce). Remove from heat and let cool 1 minute. (Don't skip this step—if the pasta is too hot when you add the egg mixture, it will turn into scrambled eggs instead of a luxurious sauce.)

Add ½ cup pasta cooking liquid to reserved egg mixture and whisk to combine and loosen eggs. Gradually add egg mixture to pot, stirring vigorously with a wooden spoon and adding more pasta cooking liquid as needed to loosen things up, until a very creamy, luscious sauce coats all noodles.

Add parsley and stir again to combine. Taste and adjust seasoning for salt.

Divide pasta among bowls. Top with Parmesan and a few cranks of pepper.

--------------------
Engineer | Pilot | Cordwainer | Brewer | Distiller | Wine Enthusiast |

Prints

InvisibleTheRedneckHippie
Raise Hell! Praise Dale!
Male

Loc: Death Valley
    #27593629 - 12/24/21 11:40 PM (2 years, 3 months ago)

I love making oysters in a hibachi type stir fry! Steak strips, large strips of oysters, broccoli, cauliflower, onion, and cook it in some soy sauce!! Finish off with some yum yum!  🤤🍄🍄

--------------------

Offlinefather_fungi
Mold Farmer
 User Gallery

Lemon Pepper Tek [Re: RogerRabbit] * 2
    #27721367 - 04/04/22 08:03 PM (1 year, 11 months ago)

1 medium onion sliced in 6ths longitudinally or some other highly composite division
1 medium zucchini, cut in 3rds, then sliced in 7th longitudinally or some other prime division.
200g Fresh Lions Mane ripped along the grain to taste.
1/2 Tbsp Butter
Salt, Pepper and Fresh Lemon Tek Juice to taste!!

Melt butter in large pan or wok and saute / stir fry to desired tenderness.  Reserve half of desired lemon until end of cooking.

--------------------
Agar and Liquid Culture Formulas

Equipment, Teks, Etc
FF Lid Tek

Edited by father_fungi (04/04/22 08:04 PM)

Offlineseagu

Re: Lemon Pepper Tek [Re: father_fungi]
    #27911214 - 08/20/22 12:12 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Saute Blue or Elm Oyster a lb or 2 with fresh cucumber and okra from the garden. Even without the okra just the Oyster mushrooms and fresh cucumber from the garden. But the okra cooked like this is really yummy even if you don't normally like okra... YUMMM. seasonings can vary, salt and pepper, rosmary, oregano, cilantro, parsley, thyme.

--------------------
Plan to win or you are planning for failure. Don't let anyone tell you you can't do it. Just figure out the solution. Even if that means banging your head on a wall until the solution oozes out of you.

Offlineshelaker
shelaker
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #28092497 - 12/10/22 08:36 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

nice, nice

Offlineshelaker
shelaker
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: shelaker]
    #28092498 - 12/10/22 08:36 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

Sorry

Offlineshelaker
shelaker
    #28092502 - 12/10/22 08:37 PM (1 year, 3 months ago)

last one

OfflineStromriderM
This must be the place
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dept of know what I'm say... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #28092962 - 12/11/22 06:56 AM (1 year, 3 months ago)

You can edit your post. There's no reason to make 3 post. Especially 3 post that add nothing of value to the thread. If you're trying to get your post count up go chat with the dorks in the pub

Offlinegroovyentrances
Stranger
 User Gallery

Mushroom Oil [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #28210845 - 03/02/23 10:39 AM (1 year, 27 days ago)

Mushroom Oil

45g dried mushroom
480g grapeseed oil

Spin in high-speed blender (I recommend vitamix or thermomix) until smoking then continue for 1 more minute.
Let steep overnight.
Strain through linen.

Offlinejespucci
Stranger
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RogerRabbit] * 3
    #28221861 - 03/09/23 07:11 AM (1 year, 20 days ago)

I'm a fan of takikomi gohan. It's usually on sushi rice in the states, but I thought it was pretty good on basmati and jasmine as well. Had to adjust liquid levels a bit. I will write assuming sushi rice and that if you don't have a rice cooker you know how to cook rice on a stove and for how long.

Growing up I would have shiitake, maitake, gobo, ginger, garlic, and carrots as constants with potatoes, canned tuna, little chunks of beef, enoki, onions, and tofu as occasional participants. It is cooked in dashi, I like konbu dashi the most.

The dish by nature is a whatever you have hodge podge. Some fresh leeks on top was always appreciated as well.

1.1) soak rice for 10 - 15 minutes. rinse rice. After water is clear, re-polish by mixing the rice gently.
1.2) while rice is soaking prepare ingredients. You're looking at roughly 1/4 to 1/3 the amount of ingredients as rice. You want to slice your chosen ingredients. I believe they call it a julienne cut. Diced works as well. The dried ingredients, shiitake and maitake for example, can be added to the dashi for extra umami.

2) place ingredients on top of cleaned rice. Recommended order is hardest ingredients on top of rice and adding softer materials to the top. Meats should end up on the top. Ingredients should not be mixed at this point.

3) prepare dashi and add dashi in equal parts to rice. 1 cup rice, 1 cup dashi.
1 tbsp each of soy sauce, sake, and mirin goes a long ways here. Or some salt. Not necessary but it is extra flavor

4) cook rice like usual. Let sit for 20-30 minutes after it hits warming state to allow moisture to equalize.

5) mix, serve, and enjoy.

InvisibleCrayolaHalls
Male

Loc: The Lot
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: RogerRabbit] * 2
    #28415688 - 07/31/23 11:16 PM (7 months, 24 days ago)

Not so much a recipe, as a long standing practice...

The first time I cook any new variety I cut into larger pieces, heat quickly on high heat with a little water in frying pan, add a tab of butter before the water is all gone, then just as they brown a bit I finish up with a light splash of soy sauce.

For me this is the right amount of doneness, fat, and salt to eat a dish of straight mushrooms and get a good idea of texture and what their flavor will bring to other dishes.

And honestly, I'd eat mushrooms like this any day anyways.

--------------------

OfflineRoscoeReturnsS
Crotchety chode man
Male

Loc: State of Confusion
Re: Recipe Thread [Re: CrayolaHalls] * 4
    #28568632 - 12/04/23 05:56 PM (3 months, 22 days ago)

Mushroom Lentil Pie

Mushroom 1lb diced
Lentil 1 cup (cooked and cooled)
Medium onion diced
Two celery ribs diced
Three garlic cloves diced
Two red potatoes diced
Chopped walnuts 1 cup
Butter 2 Tbsp
Soy sauce 2 Tbsp
Worcestershire sauce 1 Tbsp
Dried thyme 1 tsp
Salt and pepper 1/2 tsp each
Veg stock 1 1/2 cup
Puff pastry
Eggs 2 beaten

Get or better yet grow some mush, I like shiitake for this. You’ll need about a pound.

Save the stipes! They add so much umami to stock. I always keep a bag of dehydrated stipes to throw in the stock pot. You’ll need some of that stock.

Cook and cool your lentils. Chop your walnuts. Gather your ingredients.

Dice all the mushrooms, onion, celery, potato, and garlic. Beat your eggs. 

Heat a skillet over medium heat and melt your butter. I like the biggest cast iron skillet I can find. Sauté the mushrooms, onion, celery, garlic, and potato until the mushrooms give up all their water and the onion becomes translucent.

Add the stock, sauces, thyme, salt, and pepper and simmer until all the liquid has been absorbed or reduced. Remove from heat and stir in walnuts and lentils. Allow to cool and mix in the egg. Spoon mixture into  a greased 9” x 11” glass baking dish. Cover with puff pastry and bake 375 F for 30 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5 minutes.

Plate and eat!

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck