Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMylz

Loc: Ontario (Canada)
Newly found...
    #2628817 - 05/02/04 08:40 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

I found a little group of shrooms growin right outside my back door that I think are psychedelic... I picked a couple to see if they'd go blue at all, thus confirming psychoactive ingredients... A couple questions first, though... Are there any toxic shrooms that also contain the bluing (psilocilin?) chemical in them? Here's the pic..

--------------------
I'm an antidisestablishmentarianist, are you? :wink:

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleTHEBOSS
THE BOSS

Re: Newly found... [Re: Mylz]
    #2628856 - 05/02/04 08:51 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

Quote:

Mylz said:
I found a little group of shrooms growin right outside my back door that I think are psychedelic... I picked a couple to see if they'd go blue at all, thus confirming psychoactive ingredients... A couple questions first, though... Are there any toxic shrooms that also contain the bluing (psilocilin?) chemical in them? Here's the pic..

Dont eat it.

THE BOSS

--------------------
Mushbox Forum

Invisibleangryshroom
Stranger
 User Gallery

#2628951 - 05/02/04 09:20 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

This should be moved to the Hunting forum, but, whatever...

You need to give a hell of a lot more information than that to get an accurate ID.

However, right now, I can tell you that mushroom is probably a member of the Coprinus genus, and this species is NOT edible, or active. There is a few edible species in this genus, but, this one is not one of them. Many Coprinus species will cause poisionings.

Just wondering, but, what lead you to the conculsion that this was a hallucinogenic mushroom?!

Lastly, I would like all to know, that, just because it bruises BLUE, does NOT mean its a hallucinogenic mushroom. There are several mushrooms that will bruise blue, and can also be toxic. (Boletus satanas). But, yes, in general, all PSILOCYBE mushrooms that bruise blue WILL be hallucinogenic, but, for the novice, it is not a good way to determine weather or not it will be.

OfflineMylz

Re: Newly found... [Re: angryshroom]
    #2628969 - 05/02/04 09:25 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

I posted in this and the hunting forum (was hoping for quickest response possible... I'm new to describing and have learned my lesson for description for IDing next time... And the caps looked golden enough when cleaned to make them look a bit like some PC's... I wasn't using the blue bruising as my only indicator, though it might have been as the shrooms have gills and not tubes, meaning they couldn't be boletus...

--------------------

Anonymous

#2628997 - 05/02/04 09:35 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineSatori1
Stranger

Loc: everywhere
    #2629300 - 05/02/04 10:34 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

It is important that you know what your doing when mushroom hunting.
This information from Psilocybin Mushrooms of the World by Paul Stamets will help.

"Early on October Morning, a friend and I set out hunting mushrooms on the rich, grassy fields around Stonehenge. Soon, we find and interesting and unfamiliar group of mushrooms growing in the tall clump grass. We pull out our list of key features and start the process of narrowing down the field of candidates. We observe that they grow separately, but close together. We carefully pick the mushrooms with their stems intact, especially attentive to the fuzzy balls of mycelia at their bases.In general, the mushrooms have a small conic cap, a long stem, and are brown in color, with dark brown to purple gills. We collect about twenty specimens, including representatives of the youngest and the oldest. We wrap the find in twisted wax paper, label it Mushroom Collection X, and include a small sample of the habitat.

Hours later, we unwrap the collection and are startled at how much the mushrooms have changed. While drying out, the dark, rich, brown color is being replaced by yellow, drier tones. (The cap is hygrophanous) At the top of most caps are sharply nipples. (the caps are acutely umbonate or papillate) The white mycelium at the base of the stem is struck through with blue tones. As the specimen dries further, more bluing is observed. (The mycelium bruises blue) After separating the cap from the stem, we place the cap on a piece of white paper and cover it with a cup. (the resulting spore print is clearly dark purple-brown to black) From a fresh, dark specimen, we slowly break the cap and notice a thin, translucent skin tearing off the surface as pieces are separated. (the Caps have a separable gelatinous pellicle)
After a close look at the gills, we see that there is a fine, whitish band on the gill edges. (there is cheilocystidia)
Because of the presence of these classic features, we conclude that the mushrooms belong to the genus Psilocybe "
I hope this proves helpful. I recommend picking up this book if your serious about mushroom hunting. You simply cannot rely primarily on the bluing reaction alone. Galerinas, which grow in the same habitat as Psilocybes, are poisonous and have reportedly also showed bluing. I'm not sure what this mushroom is but I advise against consuming it.

be safe
satori

Edited by Satori1 (05/02/04 10:38 PM)

OfflineMylz

Re: Newly found... [Re: Satori1]
    #2629323 - 05/02/04 10:39 PM (13 years, 24 days ago)

Tanks :smirk:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop:   Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon Paul Stamets

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification