Home | Community | Message Board

Kraken Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
Loc: The will to power
What if physical appearance didn't matter
    #2628420 - 05/02/04 05:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Imagine that if by some strange twist of fate the world would have evolved differently. A world where physical appearance carried little to no weight.

Lets say that some major historical events didn't play out as they did long time ago. For example when humans first started farming. What if women would have kept the social status pre agricultural civilization and we would have grown up as equals trough all the ages. This would have had an impact on how we perceive gender and we wouldn't have had this social-gender construct that we now have.
Would be interesting to see how to world would be like if we where to judge one and other on a totally different criteria. Like Intelligence, genes social competence etc. A world where physical beauty didn't exist.

What would our art look like? our poetry?

I dont feel like making a really long post explaining exactly what would have had to change with all the whys and if and buts so bear with me. Just pretend it all played out differently.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineViaggio
ChemicalConsumer

Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: Scarfmeister]
    #2628458 - 05/02/04 05:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If sight wasn't the primary sense for judging attraction, then...my guess is that scent would dominate.
:inlove:
:ass: *sniff*

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2628460 - 05/02/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If this world existed, competent people would be on top. You couldn't sleep your way up to fame, nor would fame even be remotely the same as it is now, rather than dancers and singers we'd have more philosophers and rhetoricians. It would require going back to study the beginning of human civilization and changing it all to what you said to even remotely guess on this question, but the world would not be the same, and if humans looked for intelligence rather than physical beauty and the ability to :goatse: our species may have died out long ago  :smirk:

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinecosmicchic
    #2628461 - 05/02/04 05:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Hmmmmmmmmmm ??????????

Lots of people do live by other criteria of judgment. Some judge others by the size of their heart or the integrity of their character. Not everyone judges by personal appearance-though studies show it is an "initial" influencing factor.

(I am not going to go dig up those studies :lol: )

Really, what you are implying I think would have a radical effect on procreation.

Wait................ i just caught where you said, "a world where beauty didn't exist" Oh God I couldn't begin to enetrtain imagining that. I don't think it's even possible. And I think everything is possible. If the Divine is in everything as I beleive it is,  then the beauty of it within can not be ignored or repressed from being expressed through creative works.

Can you imagine what a cold creepy F'd up sci fi flick that would make? A world with no beauty. I can't wait to see what people come up with here. Good question!

Love,
Cindy

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: cosmicchic]
    #2628491 - 05/02/04 06:01 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Lots of people do live by other criteria of judgment. Some judge others by the size of their heart or the integrity of their character. Not everyone judges by personal appearance-though studies show it is an "initial" influencing factor.

It's easy to say that people don't judge based on looks, but that's mainly just wishful thinking for a great majority of the human population. Personality does make an influence, but while I hate hot chicks with horrible personalities, I'd rather date one than a 400 pound girl with an awesome personality. It's just nature, though it does apply more to men than women, but it is a main factor of both

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and if we didn't have beauty we'd have to have another influencing force to urge us to create and perfect. I can't imagine what that'd be, as survival is more just the basic elements we need to survive while beauty is what perfects them. To paint a painting with just function in mind rather than beauty is all I could imagine, as all other things will relate to either function or beauty

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Offlinecosmicchic
Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: Ravus]
    #2628510 - 05/02/04 06:07 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Ravus,

I here ya cuz it was a stretch to go there over all. Look at how many physically ugly and I mean ugly ugly people get laid and married and hired for jobs and invited to bar Bar B Q's. I did comment that people are intitialy influenced by looks, but I think over time, people also have the ability to appreacite other types of beauty, like humor, intelligence and caring and stuff. I didn't say it cuz it was easy to, i said it cuz I see really physically ugly nasty ugly people being loved and accepted by others.

Love,
Cindy

Offlinebedetached
supercalifragolisticexpialidocious

Loc: your mind
    #2628596 - 05/02/04 06:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

even if you dont think you are, everyone is constantly judging there surroundings. its a survival technique. obviously, it was an evolutionary advantag to be healthy. so, healthy looking people look good to us, usually.

there have been some societies where being heavy was classy, but fuck that. in the end, it comes down to sex, propogating the future with your seed, doesnt everything?..no hehe, i guess not, well, really i hope not cause i never get laid. oh well, so is life.

--------------------
through our senses the world appears. through our reactions we create delusions. without reactions the world becomes clear.

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
    #2628606 - 05/02/04 06:45 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If having a good education and being a productive member of society would have been the norm instead of this superstar ideal most people have i think its safe to assume we would have been a totally different society today.

In-fact i dont think i can even conceive of it. What would constitute an action hero for example? Being a good fighter or having big muscles would probably not be something people would strive for since physical might and good looks wouldn't be considered something masculine, as that term wouldn't even exist in a universe like that.

Beauty would of-course still exist since people would still posses an aesthetic sense but the way we would express art would probably be very different.
What i meant was that we wouldn't put physical beauty on a pedestal. Ofcourse being fit would still be looked upon favorably from a procreation standpoint.

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Offlinecosmicchic
Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: bedetached]
    #2628608 - 05/02/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Just thought of this!

This forum and the internet can give us an idea of this. We have no idea what most of each other look like right? So how is it that we form our opinions and judgments of eachother? Food for thought that can add to this.

Love,
cindy

OfflineScarfmeister
Thrill Seeker
    #2628613 - 05/02/04 06:48 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I'm no better than the average guy when it comes to vanity. I just wonder what life would be like if i didn't have to worry all the time about how i look. It would be sweet not feeling the need to buy 200$ shoes and 100$ haircuts. I swear sometimes i feel like Patrick Bateman in American Psycho

--------------------
--------------------
We're the lowest of the low, the scum of the fucking earth!

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
    #2628641 - 05/02/04 07:04 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i've always felt that a persons's appearence is the most obvious way to see whats going on in thier mind.

you are your appearance as far as i can tell.

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

InvisibleLazerouth
Drunkard

Loc: England
    #2628676 - 05/02/04 07:31 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The number of ugly children would rise by roughly 12%.

(Yes it does hurt to be this good.) ?

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2628718 - 05/02/04 07:51 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

you are your appearance? i thought "you are what you eat."-->brillit sullivan

really though, i dont think i fully understand what you mean, could you please carify a bit?

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Invisibletruekimbo2
Cya later, friends.
Male User Gallery

Loc: ny Flag
Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: CleverName]
    #2629395 - 05/02/04 10:56 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i'm a bit differnt :smile:    i usually see poeple from 2-3 differnt perspectives at once on a good day. 
everyone is ugly, everyone is beautiful, everyone looks abstract and rediculous.

anyhow.  on the basic level the mind's daily habits are reflected in the body's daily habits, which in turn reflect in body shape, posture, movement, etc.
poeple's facial gestures show a whole lot about themselves, and the creases and textures of the face show alot about what facial gestures they make the most.

on the clothing and personal grooming level its just tons of information about how they view themselves and who they would like to be.

genetically speaking things can get fuzzy, so i usually try not to focus on things genetically inherited.

to sum it up, your mind controls your body, i can see your body as it moves about, i can see your mind

--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: truekimbo2]
    #2629406 - 05/02/04 10:59 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

cool, yeah, i agree, to a point

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineTheShroomHermit
Divine Hermit of the Everything
 User Gallery

Loc: border of Canada and Mexi...
    #2629473 - 05/02/04 11:19 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

If physical appearance didn't matter, I'm sure something just as superficial would take it's place.

OfflineLux
    #2629525 - 05/02/04 11:32 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

It doesn't have to matter, in fact that world does indeed exist. In fact, true art and poetry is evidence of this. These things may also be beautiful in the physical form, but true beauty is when you see how beautifully perfect everything is for that moment just as it is, regardless of physical appearance.

Invisiblekaiowas
mndfrayze'speppet urme
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
    #2629553 - 05/02/04 11:40 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

well..i mean it has to matter somewhat so that we clean ourselves at the very least! 

but if you are talking about how we go about judging poeple, then that would be a major iprovement.  sure we wouldn't be here today without it, but I think we can now survive without this vanity!

it would be great IMHO if we lived in a world where physical appearences don't mater the MOST!  that the action taken and the personality is what is truley valuable about a person.  to be able to sit with a black man, and asian, a mexican, as I ahve done, and to communicate with them in a frinedly and understand way.  we are getting to this point though very slowly. 

i think our art and petry would be the same as it is now, might as well not try to think about changing the past, and look towards changing the present!

if it did play out all differently, well..I don't know  :dancing:

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.---senior doobie

Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: kaiowas]
    #2629665 - 05/03/04 12:02 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Right - appearance means something - it's just a shame that it's taken to mean everything.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

OfflineBuddah1
Peace is in usall

Re: What if physical appearance didn't matter [Re: valour]
    #2630704 - 05/03/04 04:38 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Looks don't matter...I mean unless you want to become a model, even then you could be a hand model or something. I mean looks only matter if you let them, there isn't anything that can stop you from being happy, as grusome as you think you might look...even if you feel that looks will give you happiness,its not a lasting wholesome happiness...that type of happiness is found in yourself. good looking people have just as many problems as ugly people. Movies are fake, society is fake, don't let it convice you otherwise. I've seen ugly guys get beautiful women becasue they love themself for who they are and can transend their looks....I know a short chunky girl who if she wanted to cry about her looks people would understand...but has such a great personality and knack for telling stories...has plenty of good looking men under her spell...don't let words and images trap your mind....if your a bum, make a joke about it, women love it when you make a joke about your imperfections

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology