Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 402 | 403 | 404 | 405 | 406 | 407 | 408 | 409 | 410 | 411 | 412 | 413 | 414 | 415 | 416 | 417 | 418 | 419 | 420 | 421 | 422 | Next > | Last >
OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Loc: united states Flag
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: koods]
    #27377241 - 07/07/21 08:23 AM (4 months, 24 days ago)

Quote:

koods said:
Quote:

Kryptos said:
100 shootings in Chicago, population 2.71m. 3.6 per 100,000.

16 shootings in St. Louis, population 300k. 5.3 per 100,000.

IDK, man. Chicago seems pretty safe by comparison to the deadliest city in the country. On the other hand, St. Louis has the least restrictive gun laws, so, ya know, probably more than a few "good guys with guns" blowing away other "good guys with guns".

Either way, a record year for shootings over 4th of July weekend. I can't think of anything more uniquely American. U-S-A! U-S-A!

Nobody ever talks about how how gun crime has exploded in Chicago since the NRA systematically decimated Chicago’s gun laws

Thats literally not what happened tho

Extras: Filter Print Post Remind Me! Notify Moderator Top
OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #27377398 - 07/07/21 11:31 AM (4 months, 23 days ago)

Chicago (and all of Illinois) used to ban concealed carry, before that got ruled unconstitutional in 2012. Chicago used to ban gun sales within the city, until a federal judge ruled that was unconstitutional and Chicago was required to allow the sale of guns. Chicago used to ban handguns outright, until DC v Heller made that illegal. In 2013, Chicago's requirement to register guns and get a permit was also repealed.

Over the last 10 years, Chicago's gun laws have been relaxed quite a bit. From literally banning the private ownership of handguns to no longer needing to register your guns or get a permit.

Correspondingly, gun violence in Chicago has exploded. As tends to happen when gun laws are relaxed.

InvisibleballsalsaMDiscord
Universally Loathed and Reviled
Male User Gallery

Loc: Foreign Lands
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: Kryptos]
    #27377452 - 07/07/21 12:25 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

Chicago had 433 homicides in 2011 and 490 in 2019.

That's about 16/100,000 vs 18/100,000. Hardly what I would call an explosion. Meanwhile, San Bernadino is sitting at over 21/100,000 in 2019 per This article
Seems pretty clear that firearms restrictions don't tell the whole story here.

--------------------

Like cannabis topics? Read my cannabis blog here

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: ballsalsa] * 1
    #27377466 - 07/07/21 12:41 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

If anything its the full blown retarded lax regulations of other niegboring Republican states with is stupidity in the other direction. We know over baring restrictions either way don't fucking work which is why the snarky tit for tat politics takes years before it balances out with a real result. I mean to think any those laws mentioned make sense or are constitutional is just insane. Its a multifaceted issue and nobody is willing to put in the work to establish a comprehensive solution. All these people have been doing is telling you what you want to hear they're going to fix gun violence by taking your guns away or doing all this criminal justice reform and all this other happy rainbow shit but then year after year this shit continues to go essentally unchecked by any these programs.i mean we all remember how bad shit was in Chicago in the 70 and then in the late 80s early 90s. No go zones Capri green neighborhood snipers but still. It's like how these places always claim there gonna fix homelessness but then we just end up paying a ton money for some major shitshow because these people will never admit they were wrong on something they just dig it deeper until we end up bulldozing the projects down after snipers kill little kuds or with major hepatitis and aids outbreaks from tent cities and skid row shooting galleries. All while the gangs get more money and guns and power. Just end the drug war or atleast legalize ketamine and stuff u dickheads. These people don't need menthol bans they need you to stop letting drug dealing criminals make shitloads of money selling the drugs u made illegal.

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: The Ecstatic] * 1
    #27377484 - 07/07/21 01:04 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
Given the magnitude of the crises we currently face, I don’t see a crisis precipitating a change of heart.
t
Quote:

why are democrats so unable to go for the throat when republicans have been doing it for decades.

It’s not that they’re unable it’s that they don’t want to, because their donors don’t want them to. We’re at a political moment where progressive legislation is more popular than it’s been in decades. Think the banks and industries that bankroll the Democratic Party want to have to raise wages, pay more taxes, abide by stricter regulations? Fuck no. The easy way to prevent all that, without giving the game away to some of the smoother brained Americans, is to ensure the filibuster stays intact, and minority Republican rule is all but guaranteed. Even when the Dems get whipped into a fervor by their voter base in the midst of a crisis, they’ll invent new ways to block progress even if the filibuster isn’t in question (like the senate parliamentarian saying “sorry, no, you can’t pass laws this way”).
ep
Quote:

And what is the deal with Sinema running as a progressive and now turning into Manchin. Her hardest core constituents are super pissed, but that's not likely to do us any good.

Sinema’s fall from grace happened at what seemed like terminal velocity, devolving from firebrand progressive to middling centrist way faster than her peers, hence the backlash. But this is standard operating procedure for elected democrats across the board, you say you’re for the good things that people want in order to get elected and to give the population hope for some progress, and then once you’re in you backslide towards “well the good things just aren’t feasible in our current political climate.” Sinema just accelerated the playbook.

I keep thinking about this post-epidemic labor shortage. Maybe people will come back to work when the unemployment pay is gone, or when they no longer fear infection, but what it they don't? For service workers and many other blue collars, there will be some replacement by automation, but mainly it's going to come down to either raising wages or or bringing in a bunch of illegal aliens.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

OfflineBrian Jones
Club 27
Male User Gallery

Loc: attending Snake Church
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: Brian Jones]
    #27377487 - 07/07/21 01:07 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

And then of course, Republican voters will blame Biden for more illegals but it will be rich Republican business owners who are really doing it.

--------------------
"The Rolling Stones will break up over Brian Jones' dead body"    John Lennon

I don't want no commies in my car. No Christians either.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: Brian Jones]
    #27377499 - 07/07/21 01:21 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

They've always poured in and the border detention facilities have never been humane

There's illegals all the way up in Wisconsin. And plenty of businesses don't give a fuck. And as expected are usually very publicly republican cause supporting.

--------------------
Everything you need in one spot.

My Q&A thread. Ask me questions here rather than in Private Message
Bod's chat thread

BTC: 1G7roCpYmNp4VqnKySQeBkaFTc7JMzKLpL
ETH: 0x2091cE981af8129986C50AC0818e1aCA76076768
DOGE: DQNyGtUNHwYUrGECag1VRmMcf6QVeTY4V1

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27377506 - 07/07/21 01:24 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

Wisconsin is home to penzeys spices which is the most turbo-liberal company in the country I would wager. They send near daily call to arms against the Republicans.

Most politics boils down to "daddy plz hlp"
I certainly wouldn't ever buy anything from penzeys because they're juvenile cunts :shrug:

--------------------

Bod's chat thread

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: bodhisatta]
    #27377549 - 07/07/21 02:04 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

Pretty good spices. It's like not going to chicken fillet because they hate gay people. You can't taste homophobia baby

OfflineCHeifM4sterDiezL
Chief Globerts

Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: CHeifM4sterDiezL]
    #27377553 - 07/07/21 02:06 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

Plus I don't think they hate gay people persay but I think they just are religious or something where as penzy are just kinda hippy douchebags for no legitimate reason so :shrug:

OfflineKryptos
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: Brian Jones] * 1
    #27377917 - 07/07/21 06:38 PM (4 months, 23 days ago)

Quote:

ballsalsa said:
Chicago had 433 homicides in 2011 and 490 in 2019.

That's about 16/100,000 vs 18/100,000. Hardly what I would call an explosion. Meanwhile, San Bernadino is sitting at over 21/100,000 in 2019 per This article
Seems pretty clear that firearms restrictions don't tell the whole story here.

No, they really don't. Honestly, Chicago isn't a great example when it comes to gun violence in either direction. It's pretty middle-of-the-pack. NYC is better (maybe best?). St Louis is worst. The only reason Chicago is the focus is because of a certain, uh, "urban" president.

Quote:

CHeifM4sterDiezL said:
If anything its the full blown retarded lax regulations of other niegboring Republican states with is stupidity in the other direction. We know over baring restrictions either way don't fucking work which is why the snarky tit for tat politics takes years before it balances out with a real result. I mean to think any those laws mentioned make sense or are constitutional is just insane. Its a multifaceted issue and nobody is willing to put in the work to establish a comprehensive solution. All these people have been doing is telling you what you want to hear they're going to fix gun violence by taking your guns away or doing all this criminal justice reform and all this other happy rainbow shit but then year after year this shit continues to go essentally unchecked by any these programs.i mean we all remember how bad shit was in Chicago in the 70 and then in the late 80s early 90s. No go zones Capri green neighborhood snipers but still. It's like how these places always claim there gonna fix homelessness but then we just end up paying a ton money for some major shitshow because these people will never admit they were wrong on something they just dig it deeper until we end up bulldozing the projects down after snipers kill little kuds or with major hepatitis and aids outbreaks from tent cities and skid row shooting galleries. All while the gangs get more money and guns and power. Just end the drug war or atleast legalize ketamine and stuff u dickheads. These people don't need menthol bans they need you to stop letting drug dealing criminals make shitloads of money selling the drugs u made illegal.

I like to think I have a decent idea that would work for everyone. The problem isn't so much people digging in their heels, the problem is the reality of the political cycle. If a solution isn't going to work within 2-4 years, it's an unworkable solution. Climate change is a great example. It's an existential threat to humanity, but it's not an existential threat to the midterms. So nobody in office actually gives a fuck. 20 years from now is 18 years from now's problem. Our political system actively punishes long term planning.

Quote:

Brian Jones said:
I keep thinking about this post-epidemic labor shortage. Maybe people will come back to work when the unemployment pay is gone, or when they no longer fear infection, but what it they don't? For service workers and many other blue collars, there will be some replacement by automation, but mainly it's going to come down to either raising wages or or bringing in a bunch of illegal aliens.

It's gonna come down to raising wages. The people collecting unemployment right now are not the same as the people that work in restaurants (~ish). Unemployment is, essentially, minimum wage when you factor in the covid boost. It's not such great money that people are foregoing decent jobs. If someone earns more on unemployment that they do working your job, that means they earn less than minimum wage at your job. The red states that are cutting their unemployment early are just gonna have a bunch of CPAs start flipping burgers instead of holding out for an accounting job.

Ultimately, though, corporations are making that decision. Target, Walmart, and Amazon are paying above minimum wage. There were ads for $15/hr in my area at a Target not that long ago. Domino's down the street from me is advertising 17$ an hour plus a $1k signing bonus to be a delivery driver. At this point, if you're paying less than that, you're gonna go out of business in the next couple years anyway. This is a no-brainer for any large corporation. By paying higher wages, they can squeeze out the competition right now, since most everybody (except them) is hurting from Covid. They just need to turn the heat up a little bit to make those pesky mom-and-pop headaches go away.

Now, if places like Target and Amazon are careful enough, they'll be able to thread the needle of squeezing out the competition without meaningfully raising minimum wages, which will allow them to cut pay as soon as they corner the market.

OnlineSporeJunkie
Pöåšt Šhïttēr
Male User Gallery

Loc: TheOnlyTenISee
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: Kryptos]
    #27378924 - 07/08/21 12:02 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

You want the mom and pop businesses gone so large corporations can completely take over?

--------------------
Royale with cheese

Offlinekoods
Ribbit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Maryland/DC Burbs
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: SporeJunkie]
    #27378939 - 07/08/21 12:11 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

If you can’t pay your employees the going rate you’re not going to succeed.

What’s happening right now has the potential to really change the labor/business dynamic. Business realize they can’t take their workers for granted. Things will settle out in the fall in places where covid is under control

--------------------
I am a violent pusher of the neo-marxist SJW agenda to destroy society.

OnlineSporeJunkie
Pöåšt Šhïttēr
Male User Gallery

Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: koods]
    #27379015 - 07/08/21 01:10 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

You have a lot of shit to take into account. Around here $15 an hour is more than a living wage. If you get 11 or 12 anywhere then you could be doing worse. These large corporations are pushing for this minimum wage because they can pay it and smaller business can’t. They shouldn’t have to though. Maybe people should try harder and work to get a better job instead of wanting 15 an hour from McDonald’s. You may act like these small businesses are just careless fucks who don’t give a damn about their employees but that’s just not true.

Have you ever been up in the hills of Virginia or Tennessee? I have…a lot. Here now. I don’t see an Amazon or shit else like that around here. There’s a lot of mom and pop shops though that employees are happy to work for and make plenty money for their needs. What happens when those places close due to a minimum wage they can’t pay? What are you going to do for the people that lose those jobs and can’t feed their families anymore? Are you going to open an Apple store for them down in the holler?

--------------------
Royale with cheese

OfflineThe Ecstatic
Chilldog Extraordinaire

Loc: 'Merica Flag
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: SporeJunkie] * 3
    #27379018 - 07/08/21 01:12 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

$15/hr is $31,000 a year before taxes.

Yeah I guess if you live in a county with one of the lowest COLs in the country then that’s livable. Most places where people actually live and work? No.

--------------------

OfflineFalcon91Wolvrn03
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California, US Flag
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: SporeJunkie] * 4
    #27379112 - 07/08/21 02:22 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Quote:

SporeJunkie said:
These large corporations are pushing for this minimum wage because they can pay it and smaller business can’t.

What happens when those places close due to a minimum wage they can’t pay?

If everyone makes more, then everyone has more to spend.  Places can increase prices to cover costs.  It's been shown that a 10% US minimum wage increase raises food prices by no more than 4% and overall prices by no more than 0.4%.  That's a very good deal for working people.

--------------------
I am in a minority on the shroomery, as I frequently defend the opposing side when they have a point about something or when my side make believes something about them.  I also attack my side if I think they're wrong.  People here get very confused by that and think it means I prefer the other side.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: The Ecstatic] * 1
    #27379430 - 07/08/21 06:32 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Quote:

The Ecstatic said:
$15/hr is $31,000 a year before taxes.

Yeah I guess if you live in a county with one of the lowest COLs in the country then that’s livable. Most places where people actually live and work? No.

There's people starting familes just fine here in Milwaukee with both parents making 10-12.
People just like to buy dumb shit.

--------------------

Bod's chat thread

OfflinemndfreezeMDiscordReddit
Shroomery Secret Service
Other User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: PuppetMasterFlash
Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: bodhisatta] * 2
    #27379572 - 07/08/21 08:03 PM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Guess we need a metric for what the acceptable amount of dumb shit is between poverty and doing just fine.  I could barely survive on that and I live in a cheap apartment, one car,  in a fairly affordable state.

--------------------
Nothing says love like grannies prolapsed anus!

quote]Urb said:
I know... Its fucked up... Ill fix it minyana..

OnlineSporeJunkie
Pöåšt Šhïttēr
Male User Gallery

Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: mndfreeze]
    #27380095 - 07/09/21 06:55 AM (4 months, 22 days ago)

Another thing that screws people is high rent. Around here you can live off pretty low wages as long as you can find the right place. The problem is that people are starting to flock here from every place imaginable and landlords know they can charge out the ass for a little two bedroom house so it causes a lot of people to not be able to get a place. What sucks is that it’s all of us that have lived here our whole lives that are getting screwed. We’re used to living off of 11 or 12 an hour but since rent has shot up because of these rich fucks we can’t find a place to rent.

--------------------
Royale with cheese

Onlinechristopera
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Joe Biden? Really? [Re: SporeJunkie] * 1
    #27380170 - 07/09/21 09:28 AM (4 months, 21 days ago)

That's called gentrification, and while it's bad for poor people, it's actually a good things in some cases. For example, it can improve housing stock quality for everybody.

--------------------
A Dorito is pizza, change my mind.

Bank and Union with The Shroomery at the Zuul on The internet - now with %'s and things

I’m sorry it had to be me.

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 402 | 403 | 404 | 405 | 406 | 407 | 408 | 409 | 410 | 411 | 412 | 413 | 414 | 415 | 416 | 417 | 418 | 419 | 420 | 421 | 422 | Next > | Last >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order