Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Deteriorating geneteics?
    #2626958 - 05/01/04 05:25 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

If you cultivate mushrooms indoors and then use the spores from the grow to cultivate more and then repeat this process, do the genetics of the strain weaken? I read something about cell degeneration caused by the cells doubling and I think that it was from g2g transfers or something, but do the spores from subsequent grows produce weakened strains from indoor grows?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinefrock
Re: Deteriorating geneteics? [Re: relativexistance]
    #2626972 - 05/01/04 05:34 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thats how its done in the wild.

But I beleive they do degrade when making clones or after several g2g transfers.

Spores are A ok though.

Offlinerelativexistance
"beads, bees!?!?beads ....BEADS!!!"
 User Gallery

Re: Deteriorating geneteics? [Re: frock]
    #2626985 - 05/01/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

cool thanks alot

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Deteriorating geneteics? [Re: frock]
    #2627044 - 05/01/04 06:29 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Anyone know why this is? Do mutations just accumulate faster than the shrooms can repair them or what?

Ooh wait, I think I figured it out. You need a spore generating phase in the lifecycle to ensure genetic recombination which would probably complement any random mutations incurred throughout the mycelium's life. Am I right?

--Aeolus

Invisiblemuse_sick
ĤŌĿŶĞЋ0$Ŧ

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Giu La Testa
    #2627052 - 05/01/04 06:32 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

everytime you use multispore you are starting from scratch.
g2g and clones are really the only time you need to worry about genetics.
for instance if you cloned a clone of a clone, you might be shooting yrself in the foot
to combat this most folks only do 3 generations of clones.
you should read Stamet's "Mushroom Cultivator" for some good discussion on this topic

--------------------
:beakedwhale:

OfflineSatori1
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: everywhere
Re: Deteriorating geneteics? [Re: muse_sick]
    #2627140 - 05/01/04 07:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

yeah... also stamets "growing gourmet and medicinal mushrooms" is great. especially in this area

OfflineNoG
journeyman

Re: Deteriorating geneteics? [Re: Satori1]
    #2627413 - 05/02/04 08:50 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

from what i understand its the lack of new genetics that cause the deterioration.

its like a woman and man from the same mother and father having a child that child might be ok but if that child was to do something similar the lack of new genetics will slowly start to show.  A good example is the film  "Wrong Turn".

Its also similar to a persons immune system.  Alot of people have weak immune systems because they dont get exposed to the environment enough.  We try and boost our immune systems by getting innoculated with watered down versions of the bug your immune system beats it and knows how to do its thing if it ever encounters that virus again.

so if mycleium has no other mycleium to compete or bond / learn different trates from it will eventually turn stupid and die.

thats just how i see things i could be wrong  :eyemouth:

Later NoG

Anonymous

#2631426 - 05/03/04 10:35 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

VEGETATIVE GROWTH
Growth occurs from individual cells. If a sigle cell mutates, all cells originating from that cell will be mutated.

To many transfers allows for the accumulation of errors(mutations). If many cells mutate, then lots of growth will be mutated growth.

SPORES
Many generations of multispore fruiting in a fixed environment is selection. Within that environmnet you will have improvement over time, but trying to grow these outside that fixed environmnet will be problematic.

In nature the environment changes over the growing season, so artificial selection doesn't occur. A larger group of variable individuals can grow and sporulate within the population. Indoors you are selecting for a smaller group of less variable individulas.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds