Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
I think my inoculation holes were rusted, is this bad?
    #2626807 - 05/01/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I just inoculated my PF jars about 10 minutes ago. As I was removing the tape from the holes I noticed quite a few of the holes looked rusted around the edges. I sterilized the jars the night before so it isn't a contam. If it was rust, will my cakes still be alright?

Other than that I think everything went okay. Taking the tape off and replacing it became such a hassle. The tape kept getting stuck to my vinyl gloves and I had to cut each individual piece of tape with scissors because it wouldn't tare. How do you guys apply tape to your jars?

Thanks,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: I think my inoculation holes were rusted, is this bad? [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #2626841 - 05/01/04 06:38 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

The rust isnt a problem at all. It is very common to see it around the holes as well as the dry verm just beneath the holes. As far as the tape goes a friend of mine doesnt put any on after innoculation. He just keeps aluminum foil over the jars untill they are around 50% colonozed and then he just takes it off and flipps the jars over. The dry verm layer does an excellent jog of keeping contamination out if care was take in the preperation of the jars. It might be a good idea to cover the lid with a couple of coffee filters held on with a rubber band for a little added protection. ( Tyvek is better!)

Hope this helps you out.
MYKEY

--------------------

InvisibleMoNk
pupil

Re: I think my inoculation holes were rusted, is this bad? [Re: ShroomNoob03]
    #2626850 - 05/01/04 06:42 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

I don't use any cover for the holes at all and have never had a contamination. Though that is just me  :grin:

OfflineShroomNoob03
Seeker of Knowledge
Male
Loc: The Depths of My Psyche
Re: I think my inoculation holes were rusted, is this bad? [Re: Mykey]
    #2626878 - 05/01/04 06:50 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Oh my god, you have no idea how much of a relief that is!! I really thought I was going to have to chuck those jars. :sad:

Thank you so much :heart:,
ShroomNoob03

--------------------
In science it often happens that scientists say, 'You know that's a really good argument; my position is mistaken,' and then they would actually change their minds and you never hear that old view from them again. They really do it. It doesn't happen as often as it should, because scientists are human and change is sometimes painful. But it happens every day. I cannot recall the last time something like that happened in politics or religion.

-Carl Sagan

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation