Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Agar

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDaVici
Dr.
I'm a teapot

Loc: Merica Flag
FIRST PINS BABAYYY!!! (w/ pic)
    #26253559 - 10/15/19 12:33 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

SUP dudes.

It’s been a wonderful few months jumping into mycology, and although i can’t say that it has all “payed off” per se, but this is definitely the sign i have been waiting for.

I started 07-07-19, and it is 10-15-30 today. 92 days not including today, and all of it has been very pleasant. There were som ups and downs, and to be frank a lot of head scratching at times, but let this be said to any noobs who haven’t seen a pin yet, KEEP THAT MOFO’ ROLLIN.

I don’t want to get ahead of myself, as i know there’s still a few days left until it’s anything remarkable, but it definitely feels special enough to share and motivate others with.

I’ve switched up my tactics a little as well in how abouts i go about cleaning up the genetics.

I initially had a plan set to go from MS syringe to agar, transfer 2-3 times, transfer a piece to a new plate and start using previous clean plates to grain and repeat. The goal with this tactic was to one day reach an isolate on agar to go to a slant all the while continuing multiplying the mycelial mass w/ G2G and getting fruits along the way. I did this for this first grow.
The NEW tactic goes as so:
Instead of going right for the isolate on from the MS syringe on agar, I’m going to take a clone of my chosen genetics from a fruit from one of the monotubs. This way will help in at least 2 ways.
One being: I know that the strains will produce fruits. If i go right from MS and try to sector until it’s a monoculture, there’s a fair chance that the strains don’t even have the genetics to produce mushrooms. And what a shame that’d be. A year of that down the drain.
Two being: Now i could be wrong about this, but from what i gathered, It would skip a lottttt of transfers. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, but when you clone a mushroom, you are a lot closer to isolation that if you started from a syringe made from spores.

With this new plan in mind, it makes me very excited to see these little babies finally pop out of the dirt. Thank you to all who have helped me along the way, and thank you mods for running such an amazing website for such a cool group of nerds such as myself 😎🤓.

Love you all
DaVici

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineFleeceManeLion
Friend
Male User Gallery

Re: FIRST PINS BABAYYY!!! (w/ pic) [Re: DaVici]
    #26254835 - 10/15/19 10:14 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Congrats on the pins! As far as getting an isolate goes, the jury is out. I can't find the thread right now (if I do I'll link it) but there seems to be some contention between TCs here on what exactly an isolate is. Perhaps I've read the thread wrong but there's definitely some kind of debate when it comes to isolates.

I've heard it takes 100s of transfers to get an isolate, and I've heard it just takes a couple. I don't know. From what I understand, taking a clone doesn't exactly get you closer to an isolate. I think it helps, but really, I have no idea.

Found it: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26235822/page/1

Edited by FleeceManeLion (10/15/19 10:19 PM)

OfflineTornarsuk
Grand Demon

Re: FIRST PINS BABAYYY!!! (w/ pic) [Re: DaVici]
    #26255523 - 10/16/19 10:11 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

:brainscream:

--------------------

InvisibleShroomyToons
Be Calm and Grow On
 User Gallery

Loc: Rebel Flag Flag
Re: FIRST PINS BABAYYY!!! (w/ pic) [Re: Tornarsuk]
    #26257590 - 10/17/19 07:41 AM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Picking a clone just helps to get a more uniform type of fruit. After a number of transfers, your myc will begin to look more uniform, and that's when you go to grain with the agar. Then you will see how your selection process plays out.

To completely isolate is next to impossible. single strand mycelium there and that's quite a feat.

Picking a clone, you generally go for center of the substrate, good size, early performer. :shrug: It tends to work out pretty well. But your surface conditions and environment in general have a lot of effect on your fruits.

Congrats to you! I remember seeing my first pins....Really a nice feeling!

--------------------

"Never miss a good chance to shut up"
                Best advice ever...in this hobby

OfflineDaVici
Dr.
I'm a teapot

Re: FIRST PINS BABAYYY!!! (w/ pic) [Re: FleeceManeLion]
    #26258319 - 10/17/19 01:25 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

I agree with you, it is confusing 😂
However all i know is the further you sector, the more expectable of outcomes you have when you start putting it to grains, to substrate, and getting fruits. It’s almost like gene picking, except we’re amateurs and not scientists (for the most part).
Either way, these pins got me fucking geeked, I’m so stoked.

OfflineDaVici
Dr.
I'm a teapot

Re: FIRST PINS BABAYYY!!! (w/ pic) [Re: ShroomyToons]
    #26258327 - 10/17/19 01:28 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Agreed, however just working towards isolating has the same purpose of isolating i feel like. Picking stronger more resilient sectors, eventually you get similar genes across the whole plate. You keep transferring and eventually put to grain and you should have more uniform results, less variables. Doesn’t always mean it’ll be better, just more measurable.

And yeah dude, these pins are so Rad to watch grow.

OfflineDaVici
Dr.
I'm a teapot

Re: FIRST PINS BABAYYY!!! (w/ pic) [Re: Tornarsuk]
    #26258328 - 10/17/19 01:28 PM (1 year, 6 months ago)

Thanks dude yeah i agree

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon Agar

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Getting Started