Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineDreamer987
The VerbalHerman Munster
Female

Loc: Texas
cops offer tasty treats to curb violence
    #2624394 - 05/01/04 01:41 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: Dreamer987]
    #2624946 - 05/01/04 08:38 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

From http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1280542

"When you are posting a news, copy and paste the text of the news AND the source or a link for any information that you provide."

OfflinejamboUK
A Fun Guy
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: Anno]
    #2625927 - 05/01/04 12:35 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Police use sweet tactics to curb drunken brawls

Fri Apr 30, 9:53 PM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Drunken brawlers beware -- the weapon of choice for police in the seaside town of Bournemouth is chocolate rather than truncheons and handcuffs.

In an effort to reduce alcohol-related violence, police in the southern county of Dorset are handing out chocolate bars to late-night revellers as they leave the town's bars and clubs during the current three-day holiday weekend.

The government has launched a crackdown on heavy drinking in towns and cities across the country, aimed particularly at the young.

"The reason for most alcohol-related violence in Bournemouth is that people get frustrated, then aggressive, waiting for either food or a taxi home," said police constable Ian Curtis.

"By giving them something to eat as they leave bars and clubs, we hope to distract people from causing trouble by fulfilling one of their main needs -- food -- and giving them something else to do."

OfflinejamboUK
A Fun Guy
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: jamboUK]
    #2625956 - 05/01/04 12:43 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Their idea seems to be that people will be too busy munching on chocolate to start drunken fights. My opinion of this is that

a) No one wants to eat chocolate when they stumble out of bars and clubs, they want savoury stuff like pizza, burgers and kebabs.

b) The police will lose any shred of authority if their job is walking around handing out sweets, so more fights will start.

c) If people are out for a fight, they will get into a fight. Chocolate or no chocolate. I can't picture a pissed guy shouting at another pissed guy "I'd fucking have you if it wasn't for this Dairy Milk", can you?

Take my advice and stay away from Bournemouth this weekend :smile:

OfflineDailyPot
Trip'n Time

Loc: Florida
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: Dreamer987]
    #2627459 - 05/02/04 09:24 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hmmm, I dont know if it'll work or not but we'll find out, either way I find this it be a very interesting idea. It might work to some extent, still very unique idea.

InvisibleJoshua
Holoman
Male

Loc: The Matrix
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: Anno]
    #2628135 - 05/02/04 01:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

He thinks that is your job, he's a slacker.

Joshua

--------------------
The Shroomery Bookstore

Great books for inquiring minds!

"Life After Death is Saprophytic!"

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
    #2628544 - 05/02/04 04:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I doubt this will work (and milk chocolate + an empty stomach filled with alcohol doesn't go good) but at least the police are trying. It's a good approach they're taking, just not a very good idea

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleDrinkAbsinthe
enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: Ravus]
    #2628764 - 05/02/04 06:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I bet this will cause more fights... I can see drunken idiots fighting over candy bars...

--------------------
$10 Absinthe Kits at www.drinkabsinthe.com

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: DrinkAbsinthe]
    #2628861 - 05/02/04 06:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflinejamboUK
A Fun Guy
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: motaman]
    #2629399 - 05/02/04 08:56 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

With all due respect, drinking culture here is a *lot* different to America. On Fridays and Saturdays, the majority of the population goes out with the intention of being very drunk by the end of the evening. That's not just the young people or the wealthy people, that's everyone.

People tend to stick together in groups of males or females, and by the time the bar or club closes, a lot of the males are all too happy to start fights with other males for any reason they can think of. It's not fun.

It doesn't help that places tend to all shut at once (all pubs have to shut at 11, for instance), so the streets are suddenly flooded with drunken people, often angered by something over the course of the evening, and wanting some entertainment in the shape of violence. Most are also very hungry and head off to one of a million "kebab shops", very cheap take-out restaurants that stay open til 1 or 2 serving exclusively drunk people.

There might exist some good ways of tackling the problem, but so far I haven't heard any that would actually help. I fail to see free chocolate falling into that category.

Offlinebaraka
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: hyperspace Flag
    #2633176 - 05/03/04 05:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

they serve here till 2.

--------------------
This is the only time I really feel alive.

InvisibleDrinkAbsinthe
enthusiast
 User Gallery
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: baraka]
    #2633352 - 05/03/04 05:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

>> jamboUK

sounds exactly like america

--------------------

OfflinejamboUK
A Fun Guy
    #2637055 - 05/04/04 01:57 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Well, I could be wrong, but all the students from the US that I've spoken to say it's very different. For a start, the whole thing about legally having to shut at 11 means that everyone comes out at once and starts fights. The places that are open late then have an increased concentration of very drunk and rowdy people, because the moderate drinkers are filtered out and go home at 11.

Kebab shops are another thing... people don't just come out of wherever they were drinking and go home. They go and get food, and start fights while they're at it. From the people I've spoken to, you don't get late-night takeaways aimed specifically at drunk people, selling cheap shit food and giving them a place to sit and eat it at 1am. There are probably 20 kebab shops just around the central area where people drink, and this is a fairly small town compared to American ones.

InvisibleDrinkAbsinthe
enthusiast
 User Gallery
    #2637319 - 05/04/04 03:02 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

well, we have party districts here, two of them in this town... channelside and ybor city (an entire city devoted to night clubs and partying)... then in orlando you have the strip... definately vendors targeting drunken people who have money to burn.  i suppose in college towns where the students are it's different, but not here.  we have people who take your picture on a poloroid for 5 bucks, street vendors all over the place who sell everytthing from glowsticks/blinky lights to food, tattoos, cigars, etc.  I suppose it depends on where you are.  Here rich upper class people and poor college students go out and get wasted, start fights and eat expensive shitty food :grin:

--------------------

OfflinemotamanM
old hand
 User Gallery
    #2638665 - 05/04/04 08:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

get wasted, start fights and eat expensive shitty food

lol

--------------------
http://heffter.org

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2639535 - 05/04/04 11:53 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I sit around and dream of getting my hands on another Kebab. I fell in love with them Germany and they are non existant in Podunked, Georgia.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

OfflinejamboUK
A Fun Guy
Re: cops offer tasty treats to curb violence [Re: Ekstaza]
    #2647075 - 05/06/04 06:45 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I seriously doubt the kebabs round here will meet the high standards of German kebabs. Here, they're sliced from a huge cylindrical slab of meat, which must be loads of lamb mince pounded together, I guess. It goes in a pitta bread, with loads of horrible salad, chili sauce (optional), mayonnaise and ketchup. I stick to burgers and pizza.

OfflineEkstaza
stranger than most
 User Gallery

Loc: Around the corner
    #2648116 - 05/06/04 09:58 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

jamboUK said:
I seriously doubt the kebabs round here will meet the high standards of German kebabs. Here, they're sliced from a huge cylindrical slab of meat, which must be loads of lamb mince pounded together, I guess. It goes in a pitta bread, with loads of horrible salad, chili sauce (optional), mayonnaise and ketchup. I stick to burgers and pizza.

That's exactly the culinary delight that I miss so very very much, except the lettuce and other veggies were fresh, minus the chili sauce, mayonnaise and ketchup, of course. They also had some kind of sauce that went on it and some kind of goat cheese if I remember correctly. Donner Kebabs are wonderful.

--------------------
YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GIVEN DRUG ISN'T THE DEFINITIVE MEASURE OF THE DRUGS EFFECTS.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds