Home | Community | Message Board

Myco Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePiedTaster
The Underlying

Loc: BC, Canada
Toss it all?
    #2623963 - 05/01/04 01:33 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

So I started 8 jars - few days later I check and 5 are contamed, fuck, but at least I have 3.

Few days later, one of them has shot forward and is doing exceptionally, the other two are coming along, but slower.

Finally they get to a point where I can case 'em. So I did.

Had it sitting, the mycelium was growing, looked awesome... so I was gonna go put the top layer of casing soil on and I notice 2 slightly green patches off to one side.

Cut 'em out with a sterile knife and there's more green... clear it out, more 'n more, 'til there's only 1 corner left that's uninfected (I even cleared a bit of clean area around it out so as to make sure)....

Filled the rest of the casing with my Case Mix, it was enough to make an even layer...

This is my first try and, mostly, I'd just like to get a spore print so that I don't need to buy another syringe - Is it worth it, or am I fucked and should just toss the whole thing?

Ugh.

--------------------
We can't stop here! This is Bat Country!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleHallucinogen
Raoul Duke

Loc: Amsterdam
Re: Toss it all? [Re: PiedTaster]
    #2623997 - 05/01/04 01:38 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I suggest you toss it all and start over.

--------------------
Substrate + jars = $20
Magic Mushroom spores = $12
Growing your own Magic Mushrooms = Priceless

OfflinemrTtheH
Micro Bio

Loc: C A N A D A
    #2624072 - 05/01/04 01:59 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Green Mold - Trichoderma harzianum, T. viride, T. koningii

Green mold caused by Trichoderma harzianum is characterized by an aggressive, white mycelium that grows over the casing and onto mushrooms, causing a soft decay. Masses of spores that eventually form are emerald green. Heavily infested patches of compost are barren. This is currently the most important disease in the U.S. Agaricus industry. Many farms spread salt on the compost in affected areas when green mold is first recognized. Strict sanitation is essential. Shelving, trays, walls, floors, etc. may be surface disinfested as a matter of routine, but it is done with a sense of urgency following an outbreak of a disease. Many commercial products are available for cleaning surfaces. The base ingredients in these materials include chlorine, iodine, phenol, or quaternary ammonium, among others. Surface disinfectants are used farm-wide, from equipment sanitation to room washdowns to foot-dip solutions to picking basket prewash. Other Green Molds may be better defined as indicators sin ce they don?t seem to be as aggressive as T. harzianum. These species of Trichoderma also sporulate on the casing surface and may sporulate on infected mushrooms. These fungi indicate that carbohydrates are available, possibly due to inadequate nitrogen supplementation during Phase I or undercomposting. T. viride reportedly produce toxins that dissolve mushroom cells walls. A wet compost low in ammonia prior to pasteurization, flies, poor sanitation, anaerobiosis, and other factors influence green mold. These fungi are common in sawdust and commonly occur in the production of specialty mushrooms.
Trichoderma is often mistaken for Penicillium or Aspergillus molds(and vice versa), being that all three look very similar and are not easy to tell appart without the use of a microsope.
Sime pictures underneath possibly show any of the three genuses out of the aforementioned reason.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle (384 BC - 322 BC)

"Human beings, the potentially highest form of life expression on this planet have built the vast pharmaceutical industry for the central purpose of poisoning the lowest form of life on the planet--germs!"--Dr. Richard Murray

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Toss it all? [Re: mrTtheH]
    #2624356 - 05/01/04 03:31 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

Wow, awesome post...what was your source?

--Aeolus

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Toss it all? [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #2624377 - 05/01/04 03:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
    #2624598 - 05/01/04 06:37 AM (13 years, 1 month ago)

why didn't you put the top casing layer on when you made the casing?

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

OfflinePiedTaster
The Underlying

Loc: BC, Canada
Re: Toss it all? [Re: Hanky]
    #2625377 - 05/01/04 12:01 PM (13 years, 1 month ago)

I did, and then the mycelium came through again...

So I put on another layer, as per The Tron Tek

--------------------
We can't stop here! This is Bat Country!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation