Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineHadrin
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Possible LC Contam, however...
    #26225338 - 10/02/19 04:13 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Okay, this is my first time doing an LC. I inoculated about 3 weeks ago, first 2 weeks had no signs of growth. The liquid culture was crystal clear, but is a malt base so naturally it’s got that amber color to it. Over the couple week period, the spores swelled up, and naturally I stirred the jar. They haven’t clumped together the same since then. The spores were broke up so fine, it was hard to tell them apart in the LC. However, the LC became “murky.” Not crystal clear anymore. There’s some sort of sediment at the bottom of the LC that look like stacks of small snowballs, however, the color is hard to observe in the LC. It was at my buddies house, so I didn’t really get to watch the transition of the LC into its murky state. He was keeping the temps rather low, so I took them home and put them in my closet and bumped the temp to about 82 degrees. Now, all the spores or what was the spores, have been coated in a small, cloudy layer of fuzz, but none of it is growing. I believe this is bacteria blooming. Looking at the LC closely I could see small white particles, slowly rising to the top of the jar. I left the LC alone to do its thing for like 2-3 days, and all the fuzzy particles settled along the bottom of the jar. It doesn’t look like mycelium, it looks like yeast in the bottom of an apple juice container that has fermented. However, I do have mycelium growing now. It’s slow, but one of my LCs has a definite mycelium growth. Jar is still cloudy tho.

So, here’s my question. If I have mycelium growing in the same jar as a bacterium, with the mycelium showing a promising growth, is it possible that the mycelium could eventually kill all the bacteria in the jar and be a viable LC? Or am I wasting my time waiting to see if mycelium kills the bacteria? Bottom line, are the LC’s toast, or is a recovery for the LC possible?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Loc: Netherlands Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Possible LC Contam, however... [Re: Hadrin]
    #26225369 - 10/02/19 04:27 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Making lc by inoculation with spores is risky as spores or spore solutions are never 100 percent clean.

That being said, you'd have to test your lc on agar first to know for sure if there are problems with it. But if the contam is visible in the lc I'd say it's toast.

Why not germinate spores on agar, transfer till clean and then Josex poke or wedge to lc? I'm by no means an expert but feels safer.

OfflineHadrin
Stranger

Loc: Nevada
Re: Possible LC Contam, however... [Re: Tweeq]
    #26225494 - 10/02/19 05:04 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Here I just took these pics. Well, in natural light the LCs are much more clear than I realized. You can see the sediment I spoke of in the first photo. Could this be caramelization? Second photo it’s hard to see the actual threads of the mycelium itself, but you can see it’s there.

So thoughts? Maybe caramelization? Contamination? Bacteria? What exactly is this?

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Trusted Cultivator
    #26226355 - 10/02/19 11:56 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah when I first started making lc they would kinda look like that. But that's a whole lot of sediment in there that could be anything, really. I wouldn't use it..

Nowadays I just boil a potato and use the potato water after letting it sit for a while (to have any sediment go to the bottom). Then pour some of the clear liquid in another container and dilute witg tap water to about 1:1 potato water and tap water. You'll have crystal clear lc, like this:

This is just how I do it. I would recommend you use the search engine and check out 'josex poke'. Helped me and others a ton

OfflineTweeq
Tweeq of Nature
Male

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Possible LC Contam, however... [Re: Tweeq]
    #26226430 - 10/03/19 01:20 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Invisiblewildernessjunkie
Reshitivest
I'm a teapot

Loc: HTTP 404 Not Found
Trusted Cultivator
    #26268894 - 10/22/19 04:21 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Hadrin said:
Here I just took these pics. Well, in natural light the LCs are much more clear than I realized. You can see the sediment I spoke of in the first photo. Could this be caramelization? Second photo it’s hard to see the actual threads of the mycelium itself, but you can see it’s there.

So thoughts? Maybe caramelization? Contamination? Bacteria? What exactly is this?

There is sediment in there, and the liquid is turbid. That LC is for sure, funky.

Spores to LC is always a bad idea. There is no way to guarantee a clean culture.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale