Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Loc: SoCal
All American 75x tips & tricks compilation * 3
    #26224455 - 10/02/19 09:59 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

I recently bought an All American 75x, read the manual, but found several mush-specific tips scattered all over. I want to make a compilation of all the tips & tricks in one place.  This is what I’ve found so far. Please post any other nuggets of wisdom you may know, and I’ll edit my list.

1. Plug it into an electrical timer. The onboard timer does not auto shut off the unit. The 120v pulls 13.75 amps, make sure the timer is rated for that. I use this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MVDTEXS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. But beware of using this if you live with lots of dust and pets.  Someone told me theirs got gummed up with debris, so they have to use a digital model.

2. With room temp water, it takes about 90 minutes to heat and push enough steam to close the valve. Close it only after 10 minutes of steam steadily escaping. Do not do second vent as described in the manual. You can speed up the process by pre-boiling water on the stove. Once you close the valve, set the timer for 4 hours. Takes about an hour to get up to pressure, then about 3 hours run time. Once you find the number on the heat settings that keeps pressure in the sweet spot, there’s no need to ever move it. Just leave it on that number during warm up and everything. Cranking the heat to 10 will not make it heat up any faster. https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25813046#25813046

3. If you run it without the inner basket, you may remove the flex tube...or not. It's not a critical point, but it can only help. Bod completely removed his tube from the toggle valve so it vents like a normal pressure cooker. LotKid just lays his tube across whatever is in his 75x. Stareatclouds (Star Eat Clouds? :grin:) has two, one with tube, one without, and both work.  However, if you don't remove it, you MUST position the tube so the opening is at the top of the unit. I decided to remove mine based on Bod's input. At 4:05 in this video, they also say they removed their tube without any side effects:

3. Loading without the insert. See pics from LotKid below. He loads 9 bags directly on the support stand, no rack, no spacers. Note this is contrary to RR’s advice to use spacers between all substrate and walls (https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/14843955). But LotKid runs two 75s several days a week and grows massive bulk, so if he’s doing it, I can do it.

4. Need an extension cord? Get a #12 guage: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/13548358

5. How to adjust thermostat: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24273886

6. This is a good general operation video (ignore 2nd vent part):

Edit: Changed the list.

Edited by badsponge (10/08/19 12:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTeaforTwo
Flight Attendant
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Psychonaut City, Mile Hi! Flag
Re: All American 75x tips & tricks compilation [Re: badsponge]
    #26224512 - 10/02/19 10:21 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

great thread! tagging in early and marking as fave lol :rockon:

want to start with my concern, what about the vacuum tho? with no flowhood, how to reduce risk of contam when breaking vacuum- or does the vacuum pulled gradually release over say 24hrs? versus my worry it will hold forever (or days and days)...

to mitigate this I was looking at the AA75x vacuum breaker tek:
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/18556648

don't want to modify though if it degrades sterilizer performance at all so hoping for good responses on this.

--------------------
See a mush cult pic you love? add it here: January 2020 PoM nominations thread! (up vote your faves to ensure they are included in final vote!). Community selected winner receives a 6mo Supporter account upgrade and/or other prizes from our awesome admin team!

Looking for something? Try Psilosopherr's Tek Compendium and pixelpopper's essentialzzz ForTheWin!

Be well, friend. Stay Strong and Beautiful, Always, and in All Ways~
Look Forward, Seek Truth, Find Real, Go Further~

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Re: All American 75x tips & tricks compilation [Re: TeaforTwo]
    #26224536 - 10/02/19 10:29 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Vacuum doesn't hold for days. I usually start mine late afternoon, finishes around bedtime, I open it next afternoon, no vacuum. I've never tried opening it sooner, so I wouldn't know about breaking the vacuum.

InvisibleStipe-n CapMDiscord
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All American 75x tips & tricks compilation [Re: TeaforTwo] * 1
    #26224563 - 10/02/19 10:46 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

There's no problem with opening the stop cock once the gauge reaches zero psi to unload. Why are you worried about vacuum?

InvisibleTeaforTwo
Flight Attendant
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Psychonaut City, Mile Hi!
Re: All American 75x tips & tricks compilation [Re: Stipe-n Cap]
    #26224698 - 10/02/19 11:47 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

hey badsponge, we had interacted this topic recently (I pinged you in new tools thread, iirc, you told me the same then;). I may be mixing up early reading up on on the 75, thinking now the vacuum for days may have been from those converting their regular AA PCs to be (non-electric) sterilizers using the control valve and blowout plug 75x replacement parts. idk, time for me to stop stressin about it tho lol

p9hu7, my plan is to open valve at 0 psi and continue to cool in place. concerns over that babysit part, and that I miss the 0psi moment- then vacuum pulls, then to break vacuum it has to re-pressurize pulling in 'dirty' air. I may be thinking about it wrong though... yah, i'm all mixed up about this dang beautiful thing lol! more experience than my hasty test run is needed and for sure gonna happen in the coming weeks... just trying to avoid stoopid mistakes as i've been getting hung up on some cult things not so clear yet to me.

When you run the 75x do you open valve when cook time is complete or wait/watch it until it has naturally cooled and dropped to 0psi?

if cooling in place and no vacuum remains, say 12-24 hours after 75 is flipped off as badsponge is assuring, then that is what I'll do. seems best bet until I'm ready willing or able to do more than one load a day.

--------------------
See a mush cult pic you love? add it here: January 2020 PoM nominations thread! (up vote your faves to ensure they are included in final vote!). Community selected winner receives a 6mo Supporter account upgrade and/or other prizes from our awesome admin team!

Looking for something? Try Psilosopherr's Tek Compendium and pixelpopper's essentialzzz ForTheWin!

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26224730 - 10/02/19 12:03 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

TeaforTwo said:
When you run the 75x do you open valve when cook time is complete or wait/watch it until it has naturally cooled and dropped to 0psi?

Leave it closed

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26224736 - 10/02/19 12:06 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Cool post. I love it when someone takes a step toward making the info on the site more accessible for noobs and a little less confusing. thanks

InvisibleStipe-n CapMDiscord
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #26224740 - 10/02/19 12:08 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Wait until the unit naturally falls to zero before opening the sterilizer. You can let your jars/bags/whatever sit in there for a while but why bother.

Your jars/bags/whatever are protected from the external environment via filters, so don't worry about contamination via removal from PC. Many of us run cycles back to back and let our jars/bags cool either in front of a hood or on any old shelf, depends on the situation and how soon you'd like to use them.

Keep the foil on the lids until use
(it doesn't really matter though)

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Re: All American 75x tips & tricks compilation [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26224764 - 10/02/19 12:17 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
Cool post. I love it when someone takes a step toward making the info on the site more accessible for noobs and a little less confusing. thanks

Thanks! I owe all my success to Shroomery. But info on some topics scattered all over, so I hope to contribute back to the community that has helped me so much.

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26224770 - 10/02/19 12:18 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

That's the spirit

InvisibleTeaforTwo
Flight Attendant
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
Re: All American 75x tips & tricks compilation [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26224853 - 10/02/19 12:53 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

thanks for clarifying that p9, and again badsponge. it is what I will do. now to find some more aa75x threads to add here, good lookin out badsponge, this is helpful!

--------------------

InvisibleTeaforTwo
Flight Attendant
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
    #26227495 - 10/03/19 01:48 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

badsponge said:
7. Remove the air tube? At 4:05 in this video, they say they completely removed the air tube. But they give no explanation why. Is this really a good idea?

what I think I know about the "air exhaust tube" on the AA75x and 25x. it is separate from the control valve and can be completely removed or bundle it up and secure at top/nearest lid. One or the other needs to be done if you run your sterilizer without the insert (aluminum inner container) since its purpose is to help remove air from the bottom of the insert where it may be trapped.

Couple notes from the manual. I do plan to use the inner container with the rack on the inner container's bottom, as designed. the aluminum "rack" is the one with holes, not the "support stand" which is wire grate that goes underneath the insert/inner container to keep it at/above the water line.

Feed the air exhaust tube into the channel for it on the inner container, the channel should be positioned towards the right handle (of the sterilizer), this also puts the inner container right handle at the lid index alignment arrow ensuring good position to guide tube into channel as you place lid on and turn to align on the index arrow before tightening down the wing nuts.

again, if never using the inner container I think it better to just remove the exhaust tube.

The manual also states to remove the air exhaust tube once a month and test for unrestricted flow by blowing air through it and cleaning it out with long wire pushed through.

searched for posts mentioning remove (or coil up) the vent tube/air exhaust tube and got some good hits from TCs and regulars posted below:

Quote:

RogerRabbit Re: getting an all american pc!!!!!!!!!!!!! 20/04/2009 18:44 (10 years, 5 months ago)

Make sure you route the tube from the toggle valve down the slot in the insert, and let it vent for five to ten minutes before using.  If you're using it without the sleeve, be sure to unscrew the tubing from the vent.  If it's hanging down low and you don't use the insert, you'll have an air pocket on top and sterilization won't be complete.

Quote:

RogerRabbit Re: PC/Sterilizer Question. Can I Guarantee Spore Death? 26/05/2011 20:17 (8 years, 4 months ago)

Zangarmarsh said:
    My setup is this, inside the AA921 I have an aluminum cooking pot slightly smaller then the PC, I use this to keep my bags out of the water.  I take a damp towel and place it over the mouth of the PC, I place the (2) 5 quart bags down inside the towel,  I tuck the loose towel between the bag and cooking pot to sinch the bags in nice and tight, so they don't expand during the cook.  I don't use spacers.
----

This is your problem.  Get rid of the cooking pot and you'll have complete sterilization.  The steam isn't penetrating down into the pot.

An AA sterilizer comes with an insert, but it also has a steel tube from the exhaust vent on the lid(toggle valve), down to the bottom of the insert.  This causes steam to rise up along the outside edge of the insert, then to flow over the top and all the way to the bottom of the insert, where it enters the tube and escapes.  This ensures all the air gets out.  In your setup at 15 psi, you're essentially using the PC as an oven at 250F, and we all know that won't work.

In addition, use spacers between each and every substrate.  It greatly reduces the amount of distance the heat must travel by conduction through the substrate material.
RR

Quote:

RogerRabbit  Re: Loading an AA 75x ? 29/07/2011 13:28 (8 years, 2 months ago)

If you remove the insert, be sure to coil up the flex tube from the toggle valve so it vents from the top of the unit rather than down low. RR

Quote:

Pastywhyte  Re: How to Safely Upgrade your All American pc 26/08/2015 11:46 (4 years, 1 month ago)

Well said juiceh. I would only add that if you decide to run the sterilizer without the basket you simply need to tie the tube up to the top. Just coil it up and zip tie or wire it up. The reason its removed or tied up is because its design is to exhaust the air in the bottom of the basket or liner which allows the liner to fill with steam as the air is displaced. When you run It without the liner the steam collects in the bottom and if left down the exhaust tube will vent your steam instead of the air.

Quote:

bodhisatta Re: Cultivation General Discussion [Re: Crispykoot] 18/05/2019 07:42 (4 months, 14 days ago)

Crispykoot said: Bod what are your thoughts on the vent tube attached to the stopcock on the 75X? I still have mine on but I make sure it sits at the top of the sterilizer when venting.It seems too restrictive. Have you removed yours?
----

I removed mine. it is restrictive. I think it's probably helpful if you use the insert basket since air collects at the bottom and the steam would have a hard time displacing it from an basket insert. but without the basket despite air collecting at the bottom I think in 10m with the boil there's enough turbulence and steam produced to displace all the air. and the maximum registration thermometer I have seems to validate that fact.

I'll edit to add more significant quotes on it, however, TC consensus over this past decade of samples appears to be remove the air exhaust tube or coil and tie near top/lid, if not using the inner container.

--------------------

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26229853 - 10/04/19 03:33 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Damn TeaforTwo, you do some good homework! I searched for posts about the 75x and didn't see these. I made some edits to the list based on these posts.

InvisiblebodhisattaMDiscordReddit
Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Milky way
Trusted Cultivator
Re: All American 75x tips & tricks compilation [Re: badsponge] * 1
    #26229869 - 10/04/19 03:38 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

#2.

Air tends to be trapped at the bottom hence the tube to evacuate the air. The last thing you want is it coiled up top. Remove it entirely so it vents like a normal pressure cooker. The coiled up hose at the top will only make it even harder to properly vent and get the air out. If you're leaving it on it should hang as intended into the bottom of the insert basket. Most of us don't use the basket so i would strongly recommend that you just remove the hose entirely

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Re: All American 75x tips & tricks compilation [Re: bodhisatta]
    #26229889 - 10/04/19 03:44 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
#2.

Air tends to be trapped at the bottom hence the tube to evacuate the air. The last thing you want is it coiled up top. Remove it entirely so it vents like a normal pressure cooker. The coiled up hose at the top will only make it even harder to properly vent and get the air out. If you're leaving it on it should hang as intended into the bottom of the insert basket. Most of us don't use the basket so i would strongly recommend that you just remove the hose entirely

Edited! When you run yours do you put bags directly on the wire support stand? Or the round rack on the stand?

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #26229891 - 10/04/19 03:46 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Ive only used jars. And i have a 25x not a 75x

I would probably not put bags on the rack directly

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26229906 - 10/04/19 03:49 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

bodhisatta said:
I would probably not put bags on the rack directly

Yeah, I didn't think that was a good idea. I remember reading one of your old posts you were running a 100 jars/week and it was killing you. Why haven't you switched to bags? I was running maybe 20 jars/week and hating it :laugh:. I love bags so much more.

Smurf real estate agent
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Trusted Cultivator
    #26229921 - 10/04/19 03:54 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

I did that many jars for a few months. Then i moved. My friend got out of jail again and wanted to make it a two person operation. He dicked up a bunch of grows and I moved to a different house and did a little growing then took a hiatus. And im still on growing hiatus for now. If i pick back up its going to be small time again. I don't need pounds. When you have that much there is really only one thing you're doing with them which is getting rid of them and im at a point in my life where the only ones i need to grow are for me.

If my buddy had actually succeeded id probably be working with him and bags would be getting done. He was very old school and his ideas fucked him in the ass hard.
Best part he told me when he grew in the late 90s early 00s that he lost 50% or more of everything he did at every step. Lost 50% of spawn jars and then with the "good ones" lost 50% of his tubs. So idk why he wasn't really open to keeping a good thing going. When he went off to jail i took over his apartment and his rent for almost a whole year so it would be there when he got back. And that whole time it was more than easy enough to not have to spend anything out of pocket to keep both places.

InvisibleTeaforTwo
Flight Attendant
I'm a teapot

Folding@home Statistics
    #26229979 - 10/04/19 04:18 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

yah, removing air exhaust tube if not using the liner really does make more sense to me after thinking about it (and a lesson I learned on a test run last night!

Posted about my sterile fail test in True confessions and What have you learned today threads and is largely unrelated to this thread, however thought I'd share about what I learned. and that is...

Trapped air sucks! lol

ran a dozen empty qt jars in the 75 for 1 hour at 21PSI/259F, original two piece lids, no holes drilled, and forgot to flip the inner lid, which led to the jars sucking lid down to a vacuum seal. I had placed autoclave tape on the outside of 3 jars (all good) and inside 3 jars- which all 3 failed to change to black stripes. The air trapped inside the jars obviously failed to hit 250F which is the temp required to change tape color.

so ya, not really if, but when I outgrow wanting the to use the inner container (insert/liner thing) I will be removing that damn vent tube- no way I want to learn after many fails to grow all boil down to trapped air in PC and that coiled up tube would not be efficient at all in helping remove air from sterilizer without inner container!

--------------------

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26229981 - 10/04/19 04:19 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Damn Bod...interesting times. 50% loss at every step?! Shiiiit :eek:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder