Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

Chuck Palahnuik
    #2622466 - 04/30/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

If you hadn't heard yet, Chuck Palahniuk has a new short story in the March Playboy Magazine called "Guts."

A couple months ago, I heard about one of his short stories that had caused people to faint, vomit, and/or run out of the room while he had read it aloud at various colleges. And this story, "Guts," happens to be just that one! I have done quite a bit of searching on the net but haven't been able to find this story in full-text. However, I have found an mp3 of him reading it aloud (recently) on K-Lite.

So, if you're not the squeamish type, or if you're a fan of Palahniuk's work (ecspecially the humor in Choke and Invisible Monsters) you should definitely check out March?s Playboy or download the mp3 off a P2P! I'm a huge fan of Palahniuk's work, and have read most of his novels, and as disgusting as this short-story is, I still found it rather funny, and typical of Palahniuk!

Lullaby's actually pretty good, even though I'm convinced it's really urban fantasy instead of an attempt at horror -- this is mainly because it has a pretty standard variation on the "quest" plot, where characters are looking for something but have it with them the whole time. Gets points with me for furthering my theories that both children's book authors and Wiccans are horrible, horrible people.

Invisible Monsters is a little hard to get into, but it gets better as more and more layers are peeled away.

Choke gets points for Denny and its kick-ass rape scene, but just ends a lot like Shirley Jackson's The Lottery. Also, the main character doesn't exactly do anything.

Same gripe with Survivor. You have a main character, twisted and compelling as he is, who's led around by various people until he dies.

Fight Club is cool mainly because it gets misinterpreted so often.

Oh and check out this interview where simultaneously promotes Nadar and Bush.. lol

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Chuck Palahnuik [Re: DigitalDuality]
    #2622506 - 04/30/04 06:20 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

A Palahniuk fan, how cool. I've only read "Choke" and "Lullaby" and enjoyed them immensely. I gave "Lullaby" to my 13-year old daughter and she liked it. It was her introduction to the "absolute power corrupts absolutely" thesis which we discussed on vacation.

Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada Flag
    #2622551 - 04/30/04 06:29 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Sweet, I'm gonna see if I can find that MP3...I love Palahniuk's style.. I read Fight Club a couple years after seeing the movie and although some might disagree, I was surprized how much better I thought the book was compared to the movie!!  I just rescently started reading Survivor and so far I'm hooked..just as I was while reading Fight Club.  Very brilliant author he is.  :thumbup:

#2623359 - 04/30/04 10:41 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

His latest book "Diary" is pretty much in the same essence as Choke. I reccommend that as probably his best work though.

Leaving YourWasteland

Loc: Passing Cloud
    #2624250 - 05/01/04 03:02 AM (12 years, 5 months ago)

Lol, yeah... it fucked with my head when i read it. I have the playboy... very nice edition :wink: ... which is kind of funny because of where it is and all. But all of his books that i have read have this weird twisted sex type theme. This just makes the top of all the twistidness... imo.

euaha! *Quivers* I... reccomend it though  :projectile:

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media