Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
In the Name of God?
    #2618817 - 04/29/04 09:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

A thread of the same name as this seems to have been moved to another forum - for whatever reason. Well, I thought the subject is worthy of discussion right here as the original poster intended.

PBS's Frontline aired a program Thursday night that examined the great evangelical influence over the decision making processes of George W Bush. The special as well other related material as can be viewed here: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jesus/

A recent book was published on the subject of Bush and his Chrisitian faith; it is called The Faith of George W. Bush by Stephen Mansfield. Here is an excellent review of it: http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1076026,00.html

Check out this wacky page that basically concludes that Bush has a messianic complex: http://www.informationclearinghouse.info/article5648.htm

And there is plenty more material. See for yourself: google "God" and "Bush."

And finally, straight from the mumbling mouth of the apocalyptic Boy Wonder himself:

Quote:

I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it.

Any thoughts?

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: In the Name of God? [Re: Xochitl]
    #2618865 - 04/29/04 09:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Pat Robertson: God Says Bush Will Win in 2004: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,107258,00.html

Quote:

Friday, January 02, 2004

NORFOLK, Va. ? Religious broadcaster Pat Robertson (search) said Friday he believes God has told him President Bush will be re-elected in a "blowout" in November.

"I think George Bush is going to win in a walk," Robertson said on his "700 Club" program on the Virginia Beach-based Christian Broadcasting Network (search), which he founded. "I really believe I'm hearing from the Lord it's going to be like a blowout election in 2004. It's shaping up that way."

Robertson told viewers he spent several days in prayer at the end of 2003.

"The Lord has just blessed him," Robertson said of Bush. "I mean, he could make terrible mistakes and comes out of it. It doesn't make any difference what he does, good or bad, God picks him up because he's a man of prayer and God's blessing him."

The Rev. Barry W. Lynn, a frequent Robertson critic and executive director of Americans United for Separation of Church and State (search), said he had a prediction of his own: "Pat Robertson in 2004 will continue to use his multimillion broadcasting empire to promote George Bush and other Republican candidates."

In a reference to Bush's political adviser, Lynn said, "Maybe Pat got a message from Karl Rove (search) and thought it was from God."

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #2619859 - 04/30/04 03:11 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Any thoughts?

As an atheist, I don't care who does or does not believe in God.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlineihavefingers
Stranger

Re: In the Name of God? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2620246 - 04/30/04 06:43 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

i don't believe in god either but if you get a chance to listen to or look up the lyrics to With God on Our Side by bob dylan

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: In the Name of God? [Re: ihavefingers]
    #2621423 - 04/30/04 12:44 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Its not God its the Devil.

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
    #2621470 - 04/30/04 12:54 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

but do you care whether or not (he believes) god
is communicating his will for the US directly to the
commander and chief who then, presumably, acts
accordingly?

as an athiest, I figure that would shake you to the
bone.

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: In the Name of God? [Re: afoaf]
    #2621889 - 04/30/04 02:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Nope. Don't care. While I'm firm in my beliefs there is no God, I bear no ill will towaqrds those who believe there is.

It'll be funny (in a bad way) if when we die, we find out he's right. I don't know about you, but if that's the case..... I'm fucked.  :eek:

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2621913 - 04/30/04 02:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I personally can't imagine a god who would hold it against me that I didn't believe in some supernatural super being for whom there is no evidence of existence. If he made me he surely didn't make me that stupid. He should be proud of us.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: In the Name of God? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2621938 - 04/30/04 02:22 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

The  :eek: was to imply humor. Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Next time I'll use  :lol:

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#2621963 - 04/30/04 02:27 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That's alright, that little missive wasn't for you so much as it was for the believers. Responding to you was just a way to get it in. One of my favorite digs for the deluded.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2622453 - 04/30/04 04:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

It is interesting to note that if he was not genuinely sincere about his claim that he believed God wanted him to run for president then what he did was "taking the lord's name in vain" which according to the Bible is an unforgivable sin.

So even if he repents, he's still doomed to burn in hell forever and ever.

(according to the Bible)

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
    #2623114 - 04/30/04 07:14 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"I feel like God wants me to run for President. I can't explain it, but I sense my country is going to need me. Something is going to happen... I know it won't be easy on me or my family, but God wants me to do it."

Can you say schizophrenic? Society has places for such people.

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: In the Name of God? [Re: grib]
    #2623147 - 04/30/04 07:23 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Anybody who believes in god is by definition psychotic (can you say imaginary friend?). Only atheists are truly qualified for positions of responsibility.

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

Re: In the Name of God? [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2623202 - 04/30/04 07:41 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Bastard Atheists always hating on us Agnostics!
edit.Where's Larchmont?

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Edited by Ancalagon (04/30/04 07:42 PM)

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: In the Name of God? [Re: Ancalagon]
    #2623233 - 04/30/04 07:50 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

half hour North of NYC on Long Island Sound

--------------------

OfflineAncalagon
AgnosticLibertarian

#2623320 - 04/30/04 08:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Long Beach..southern LI here.

To get back on topic, my problem with religious people in power begins when they enforce the bible(or insert your holy book of choice) instead of the constitution. So long as we lean in no way toward theocracy, I care not what my presidents personal convictions are.

--------------------
?When Alexander the Great visted the philosopher Diogenes and asked whether he could do anything for him, Diogenes is said to have replied: 'Yes, stand a little less between me and the sun.' It is what every citizen is entitled to ask of his government.?
-Henry Hazlitt in 'Economics in One Lesson'

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom