Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1

D12 World ( My Review)
    #2622280 - 04/30/04 05:28 PM (12 years, 5 months ago)

The cd opens with "Git Up" which is ok. It'll grab ahold of the Eminem fans, his flow and rhyme that starts it out is improved, but kinda monotonous, yet impressive. But the song is mediocre past his verse

The second track Loyalty ft. Obie is pretty tight, but again, not terribly impressive. As the cd progresses you notice two things, any serious Eminem fan has heard about 50% of these songs so far, and Dre's production only pops up on one track (American Psycho 2 ft B-Real).

The American Psycho track i was also dissappointed on as well. Expecting B-real to spit a verse, possibly production by Dj Muggs, but no. Dre produces a recycled beat underneath an old school James Bond sample enhanced by a tiny distored guitar riff and B-real is merely there for the chorus.

"Just like you" is a track purely by Bizarre, which is amusing. And suprisingly produced by Hi-Tek. It goes on about Bizarre giving fucked up advise to his kid, and is pretty offensive, but Bizarre is the circus Eminem is, without the skill.

Kon Artist has actually equaled Em in the production contributed to this album. I'd say they split the majority 50/50, and the beats are good, but nothing "hot". But of course up comes the Purple Pills sequel "My Band" which sucks, but is amusing as all hell, but by now that song has been so played now you really don't want to listen to it.

By this point though, you get the feeling.. something MORE is missing compared to the last D12 album... less jokes, less offensiveness, and.. less Eminem. Then up comes 6 In tha Mornin'. Yay. This song has been out for over a year and a half,released on mixtapes that were aimed at dissing Benzino. Not only this song, But the bonus track "Keep Talking" is about a year old as well.

"How Come" is pretty ok song dealin with serious issues concerning broken friendships, and lost relationships. Again, nothing incredible.

Get My Gun is high paced like crazy and i truly enjoyed this song, Em's quick verse on this album is funny as shit, talking about gettin' ready to shoot some one and his gun jams. It kind of reminded me of his playfullness he displayed on "As the World Turns" on the Slim Shady Lp.

The track "Bitch" is the one point in which the group displays the first album's playfulness. So between this and Get my Gun, would be the highlights I feel. I laughed my ass off while fat ass Bizarre gets off point dreaming of food to eat, rather than the point of the song debating the use of the word "Bitch"

The title track, D12 World, has some crappy beat supplied by Kayne West, and it just doesn't match up with their style at all. While College Dropout was a great album, his production isn't meant for this album. The rhymes are on point, the chorus is fucken obnoxious..I guess this track is supposed to be what they're all about, which isn't much of anything...

40oz, sounds like D12 meets Lil'John. I dunno, but i just don't think they were cut out for club hits. Its a good song, but it gets old farily quickly.

What is cool about this cd, is that they included a freestyle by Bugz on the track Bugz 97. Bugz was a member of d12 before Eminem was. Em ended up taking his place, This song is followed up by "The Good Die Young".. which i truly enjoyed. No its not incredible lyricism but its truly moving in their ode to their fallen friend. Bizzare is actually serious for once and Proof's verse over top of this Three Dog Night "Old fashion love song" sample is pretty heartfelt.

Overall i'm dissapointed. I'm happy they are showing more of their skill without Em being all over it, yet still including him into the group. But their skills haven't improved much and in trying to be taken serious instead of being playful, their going to lose alot of their attention the way Em did between "Infinite/Slim LP" to the "MM lp/Em show". The difference is, Em improved his rhyming capability, they haven't. I'm pissed they included so many songs that were released on mixtapes, and the only enjoyable songs are the ones i've played out in the last month or so.

Overall, I'd say this cd is mediocre. I'm not impressed at all.

The one positive thing i can say about D12, is they remind me of Wu-tang clan, and alot of older rap groups. Each has a distinct voice and a distint personality. YOu don't see that much anymore. Normally groups today try to sound as much like each other (or the one who made it.. such as Nelly and the St. Lunatics), its refreshing to hear a group create a motley crew of sorts rather than trying homogenize voices..

The included DVD, was ok. I'm glad they included unedited versions of their videoes. Again i was dissappointed in the 40oz video because it's typical. My Band is at least somehwat original and funny.

The behind the scenes of making the album is retarded. They act like wanna-be's that live down the street from me that have little education or sense and are annoying as fuck, Eminem included.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media