Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Air Stone, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineZenn
LittleLurker
Female User Gallery

Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts?
    #26221752 - 10/01/19 08:05 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I know not the best method perhaps. But recently I've been watching ALOT of videos for chambers like monotubs and SGFC. Seen a few that have tried to do humidity via aquarium heater,air stone and mister. I am very interested by this. So I decided to draw my idea for one. It would use at least 2 times smart timer plugs one for the mister and one for the fans.

The idea being the perlite and heater/clean air bubbler will see to the humidity for majority of the time. The mister would come on for a few mins then off. Then the in and out fans would come on briefly for the air exchange. Around the fan is a box with a filter sponge to reduce risk of contamination. Holes would be drilled in the box same as you would for SGFC. Please see my rough sketch and let me know, hypothetically or not do you think this could work? Call it am inventive project.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGrimsweeper
don't fear the sweeper
 User Gallery

Loc: broom closet
Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: Zenn]
    #26221773 - 10/01/19 08:21 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

--------------------
When you clean a vacuum cleaner you are a vacuum cleaner
Build yourself a Flow Hood in these 99 simple steps

InvisibleHobbit GDF
Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Terrapin station Flag
    #26221776 - 10/01/19 08:24 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

That's alot to go through for cakes in my opinion. Unless u was making a Martha. Good luck zenn

OfflineToxic enigma
High priest of his own madness
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: Grimsweeper]
    #26221790 - 10/01/19 08:35 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Over complicated, unneeded and destined to fail. I'd tell you to just stick with a proven FC design but I get the impression that you won't listen anyway.

--------------------
The goal of life is not to arrive safely at the grave, but rather to slide in side ways yelling " holy crap what a ride".

CAUTION: contents under pressure, highly volatile, may contain language of a vulgar, subversive or blasphemous nature, handle with care, point away from face when opening.

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: Toxic enigma]
    #26221796 - 10/01/19 08:40 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Monotubs are pretty automatic.

But specifically about the design, do you know why you’re misting and fanning in the first place?

OfflineMrJeJo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: The Netherlands Flag
Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: Toxic enigma]
    #26221797 - 10/01/19 08:40 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

When I started this hobby, I also wanted to automate things... Then I started reading in this forum and came to the conclusion automation will fail most of the time. Why? Because most automated systems rely on the humidity in the air, when you should measure surface conditions. Other members can explain this better, but I gave up on automation and just set-and-forget with shoeboxes. Good luck!

OfflineGrimsweeper
don't fear the sweeper
 User Gallery

Loc: broom closet
Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: MrJeJo]
    #26221815 - 10/01/19 08:53 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Here's where you should get started

--------------------
When you clean a vacuum cleaner you are a vacuum cleaner
Build yourself a Flow Hood in these 99 simple steps

Offline174BPM
I don't like titles
Male User Gallery

Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: Grimsweeper]
    #26221817 - 10/01/19 08:57 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Unmodified mono's and shoeboxes are pretty automatic. Maybe a spray here and a spray there. Lol

--------------------

Offline174BPM
I don't like titles
Male User Gallery

Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: 174BPM]
    #26221821 - 10/01/19 09:01 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

--------------------

OfflineZenn
LittleLurker
Female User Gallery

#26221825 - 10/01/19 09:03 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Not at all. Opinion totaly valid. I was basically going to do like SGFC as is perhaps with some form of heat source as it's bloody cold here. I was just watching all these videos and decided to try draw my own. This was purely for passifying my "I wonder if this would work" thoughts I was getting

OfflineZenn
LittleLurker
Female User Gallery

#26221827 - 10/01/19 09:04 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Noted. Just to be clear no construction has actually taken place. I know it's all complicated etc etc especially for its size. I will check out all recommended links

OfflineZenn
LittleLurker
Female User Gallery

Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: 174BPM]
    #26221831 - 10/01/19 09:06 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Lol I know. I was just trying to combine all the ideas I saw to see what I could come up with. It all just spawned from me wondering how I could gently heat a 35 to 45L chamber. Will check out your link too on cakes

Offlinefootpath
ὕδωρχοίρος

#26221891 - 10/01/19 09:38 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I believe the common analogy around here is something like: Don't build a deli if you're just trying to make a sandwich.

Heat your external environment. Lights also emit heat. Less space requires less energy. Put those together - running a light in a small area containing your SGFC will likely warm it up enough.

OfflineRapjack
Oat Soakin' Toker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Elsewhere
Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: footpath]
    #26221919 - 10/01/19 09:50 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Monotubs are almost automated, I'd say. After I case at full colonization I don't need to touch my tubs until harvest and then just two or three mistings while second flush comes in. Automating using machinery would more or less cost you the same amount of time, as you'll have to be filling reservoirs and maintaining gear / troubleshooting. If you read up on the design principles of a monotub you can see that they already accomplish everything you're trying to do, all from substrate / casing moisture combined with convection from the mycelium itself.

--------------------

Offlineanahanini
 User Gallery

#26221953 - 10/01/19 10:03 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

interesting

OfflineZenn
LittleLurker
Female User Gallery

Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: footpath]
    #26222062 - 10/01/19 11:07 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Quote:

footpath said:
I believe the common analogy around here is something like: Don't build a deli if you're just trying to make a sandwich.

Heat your external environment. Lights also emit heat. Less space requires less energy. Put those together - running a light in a small area containing your SGFC will likely warm it up enough.

I certainly agree. That's why I've only drawn it. I am very new to it all. Guess I was playing with a design concept?
Thank you for the note on a light for warmth. The area I would have them has decent ambient light, what would you suggest for just heat? Or just a small light anyway? I thought the idea of a very small aquarium heater was interesting idea I've seen some try.

OfflineZenn
LittleLurker
Female User Gallery

Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: Rapjack]
    #26222079 - 10/01/19 11:15 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Rapjack said:
Monotubs are almost automated, I'd say. After I case at full colonization I don't need to touch my tubs until harvest and then just two or three mistings while second flush comes in. Automating using machinery would more or less cost you the same amount of time, as you'll have to be filling reservoirs and maintaining gear / troubleshooting. If you read up on the design principles of a monotub you can see that they already accomplish everything you're trying to do, all from substrate / casing moisture combined with convection from the mycelium itself.

This is good to know. I do understand the main design for monotub/SGFC (mainly from Arvin fortyseven on youtube)  my main issue is heat. During the day it's about 15°c in the house or less when windows open.  I'm very open to suggestions on remedying this.  This design was me getting a bit carried away , then I just wondered if this idea would actually work. Thought it perhaps a decent topic for discussion even if it is all of you just telling me what I should be doing ^_^

All tips or links welcome. I'm here to learn

InvisibleSabrina
Female User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #26222940 - 10/01/19 06:36 PM (1 year, 4 months ago)

Check out BODs thread on Unmodified tubs. He helped me to think in terms of a terrarium. Here is his link.

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/22337800/fpart/1/vc/1

--------------------
I’m a noobie and dig the Shroomery.

Offlineinternal traveler
Male User Gallery

Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: Sabrina]
    #26223941 - 10/02/19 06:50 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I did this with one of my first posts. Made it fully autonomous. I got plenty of fruits. So not to bad at all. Fun in theory but not the best and easiest way by far

--------------------
http://www.mushroomvideos.com/

InvisibleStygianKnight
A Mushroom

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Design drawing for "automated" chamber. Experiment. Thoughts? [Re: internal traveler]
    #26224277 - 10/02/19 10:45 AM (1 year, 4 months ago)

I find a major problem with ‘automatic’ is really people want to add lots of gadgets and tech stuff to make it look cool, but nothing is actually automatic.

Sure it’s replaced misting and fanning, something a good chamber replaces anyway but everything else is still human run.  To get closer to automation, I would be wanting something that watches the fruits and when ready cuts the sub at fruit level, moves all the fruits out of the tub and into a dehydration chamber, which flips on till the fruits are dry, weighs them and drops them into a heat sealed bag, while the grow machine bottom waters the substrate and preps it for another flush.  A small camera at top watches the surface and uses neural network training to spot molds and other contams.  When the sub is spent it’s flipped out of the tub into a spent tub/contams chamber and the bottom watering system flushes the tub out a few times before it’s dried and ready for new spawn.

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Air Stone, Aquarium Heater, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation