Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineempath
I feel you

Loc: Seattle
Ozone in the room OK?
    #2621571 - 04/30/04 01:17 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Afoaf is thinking about getting an ozone generator to purify the air rather than a expensive HEPA. Ozone kills bacteria and molds but does this refer to all fungi? Will it be detrimental to incubating/fruiting?

--------------------
"It tastes like burning"-Ralph Wiggum

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemycoguy
old hand

Loc: PNW
Re: Ozone in the room OK? [Re: empath]
    #2621580 - 04/30/04 01:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

doesn't an ozone generator add C02?

--------------------

(and no, that's not me in the avatar)
Yahoo! Pacific Northwest Mycology Group

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2621707 - 04/30/04 01:36 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I don't think they add any signifigant amount of co2,but somebody correct me if I am wrong.

The way they work is by generating an unstable form of oxygen. O3 instead of O2. As they flow through the air they are quick to bind themselves with a variety of molecules that may suspend themselves in the air. Once they do this they precipitate ,or rain down on the floor where they can then be vaccumed up. O3 is useless to the respitory system any living thing that depends on Oxygen to survive. So in high enough concentrations they can actually be dangerous to humans by causing a variety of symptoms from headaches all the way to pulmonary edems which is when your lungs beging to fill with fluid. Not trying to freak you out or anything because it is very unlikely that your home ozone generator is capable of producing these high concentrations unless you seal yourself into a garbage bag with it or something. The concentration that they produce is,however, quite toxic to micro-organisms like mold and bacteria. OK finally the end to this long winded answer is I wouldnt think that it would be a good idea to keep it around your mushies during incubation and fruiting. On the other hand it would be perfect to sterilize the air inside the room for innoculating,cloning,grain to grain etc. Just put it in the room,close the door and let it run in there for a few hours before you do your work. Make sure you open the door a little while before you plan on being in there to avoid the high ozone concentration yourself. Hope this is a help to ya!

MYKEY

--------------------

InvisibleMagash
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2621970 - 04/30/04 02:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'd go with the filter. Bud growers have been using them for years. One of the things that they do is kill mold spores. (Read the above post) but it's not the only spores that they kill.

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

Offlineempath
I feel you

Loc: Seattle
Re: Ozone in the room OK? [Re: Magash]
    #2622702 - 04/30/04 04:56 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What about ionizers?

--------------------
"It tastes like burning"-Ralph Wiggum

OfflinePotIsYourFriend
Pot Inspector

#2623122 - 04/30/04 07:16 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

if you want cheap co2, just get a block of dry ice and have it above your shiznit.. I know it works for other things...

OfflineBruce3
Stranger

Loc: some where over the rainb...
    #2623168 - 04/30/04 07:29 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

my hermit crabs were able to innoculate two jars with an ionic breeze and two sprays of 99% rubbing alcohol. his grow is doing good too!

OfflineRoyale

Loc: Bend Over And I'll Show Y...
    #2623260 - 04/30/04 08:01 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You can get HEPA filters for fairly cheap. You don't need one for the sq/ft of you house. Just a small one to run around your work area. I got one for 110sq/ft that was about $30 bucks. Still if this is more than you want to spend you should at least replace your house's a/c filter with a nice HEPA or electrostatic air fliter. Good Luck!!!!

--------------------
"Burnin', I feel a burnin' in my stomach
I wanna' know if I'm a gonna make it
If I don't just spread my ashes
If I do just spread your mind"
~~~~~~PRIMUS~~~~~~

OfflineMoGuerilla
New Face in theCrowd
Loc: MidWesternUSA
    #2623714 - 04/30/04 10:33 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

You can DIY a killer air scrubber / HEPA.  An 8" venting fan affixed to a 26x14 box with an open side.  The open side has an air return (support) + HEPA + CHEP-O FILTER + 2lb of CHARCOAL + CHEAP-O FILTER.

99.8% of the of all bacteria and 95% of any smell all for a whopping $60 or so...  it can do a full size room in minutes.  Just have to give it new active-charcoal and HEPA every 3 months or so (of running time) for best performance...

It can also double as an air-flow dessicator without releasing a shroomy type smell...

But I'd be too lazy to do any of this myself of course...

PS - If you get a scratchy throat when running the OZONE then its to much, reduce the output or something...    :wink:

Invisiblez@z.com
Libertarian
Loc: ATL
Re: Ozone in the room OK? [Re: PotIsYourFriend]
    #2623836 - 04/30/04 11:05 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PotIsYourFriend said:
if you want cheap co2, just get a block of dry ice and have it above your shiznit.. I know it works for other things...

You don't want co2 for shrooms.

--------------------
"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." - C.S. Lewis

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniencies attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Ozone in the room OK? [Re: Mykey]
    #2624346 - 05/01/04 01:28 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mykey said:
...they are quick to bind themselves with a variety of molecules that may suspend themselves in the air. Once they do this they precipitate ,or rain down on the floor where they can then be vaccumed up...

MYKEY

Are you absolutely sure of this? I was under the impression that the ozone killed microorganisms as it was broken down into diatomic oxygen because it's so reactive. I can't think of any reason it would simply bind to particles and cause them to precipitate out of the air. And I thought ozone was extremely corrosive in even very minute concentration and for this reason ozone sterilization equipment has a re-converter to get rid of any lingering ozone before exhausting the air supply.

--Aeolus

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Ozone in the room OK? [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #2624798 - 05/01/04 07:28 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Woops! I think I did give a little missinformation on the precipitation of the bad stuff being due to the O3. Sorry about that! I would imagine that the extra electron lost during the conversion to diatomic oxy has to be picked up by some other molecule,doesnt it?
I was thinking of the ion generation portion that goes hand in hand with most ozone generation units. The (-)ions produced,I am pretty sure,are what actually cause the precipitation of molecules. I am very sure about the "suffocating" qualities of the ozone though! In fact,the jury is still out on the actuall safety of these types of machines in the hands of someone who doesnt fully understand the proper way in which they should be used. There are maximum exposure limits that have been set to protect people but,like I said before,would be kinda hard to exceed with a home unit,but it is possible given the right circumstances. Ozone,even at an extremely low ratio to diatomic oxygen in the air,is easilly detected by it's chlorine like smell. If anyone has never smelled it before it kinda smells like a swimming pool. The ozone produced by lightning in the air during a thunderstorm accounts for the "clean" smell of the breeze that one might notice. I am unaware of sterilization units having a re-converter built in,but you could very well be correct. It doesnt seem like one would be needed since it is so quickly converted back to diatomic oxygen. Most of my experience with ozone generation is in conjunction with an industrial process known as "Corona treating". In this process a high voltage field of energy is passed over plastic in order to change its surface tension. In this process ozone is a by-product and is exhausted immediately. Thanks for the info Aeolus,I feel bad for missinforming anyone. What do you mean by "corrosive"?

Thanks
Mykey

--------------------

OfflineAeolus1369
Dr. Seahorse
Male

Re: Ozone in the room OK? [Re: Mykey]
    #2626684 - 05/01/04 03:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Mykey said:
What do you mean by "corrosive"?

Thanks
Mykey

If you go to google and search "MSDS (any chemical)" you can get all hazards and stuff. The following is for ozone...
"Ozone is a powerful oxidizing agent and reacts with all oxidizable materials , both organic and inorganic. Some reactions are highly explosive. Alkenes, benzene and other aromatic compounds, rubber, dicyanogen, bromine diethyl ether, dinitrogen tetroxide, nitrogent trichloride, hydrogen bromide, and tetrafluorohydrazine."
http://www.ozoneapplications.com/info/ozone_msds.htm

--Aeolus

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Ozone in the room OK? [Re: Aeolus1369]
    #2626843 - 05/01/04 04:40 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks Aeolus! Good Link!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract