Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Loc: Ripple's Heart
conservative bias vs liberal bias
    #2621037 - 04/30/04 01:06 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

7 ABC affiliates ordered not to air 'Nightline'

Order draws sharp response from network and angry calls

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/29/abc.nightline/index.html

(CNN) -- Sinclair Broadcast Group has ordered its seven ABC stations not to broadcast Friday's "Nightline" that will air the names and photographs of the more than 500 U.S. troops killed in the Iraq war.

In a statement online, the Sinclair group said the "Nightline" program "appears to be motivated by a political agenda designed to undermine the efforts of the United States in Iraq."

Sinclair's decision, announced Thursday, drew angry calls from the public and a sharp response from ABC News.

"We respectfully disagree with Sinclair's decision to pre-empt 'Nightline's' tribute to America's fallen soldiers," ABC News said in a statement. "The 'Nightline' broadcast is an expression of respect which simply seeks to honor those who have laid down their lives for this country."

Some of the stations have received many calls and e-mails in response to Sinclair's decision.

"I have not gotten one positive response," said an assignment desk editor at WSYX, the ABC station in Columbus, Ohio.

WEAR in Pensacola, Florida, has been inundated with phone calls and e-mails. A man who answered the phone in the station's newsroom said people mostly wanted to know why the decision was made.

On the Web site for WLOS in Asheville, North Carolina, the station invited viewers to e-mail the station and said it would forward the messages to Sinclair.

The company's other ABC stations are in St. Louis, Missouri; Charleston, West Virginia; Winston-Salem, North Carolina and Springfield, Massachusetts.

The show, titled "The Fallen," will air at 11:35 p.m. Friday. In it, newsman Ted Koppel will read the names of the U.S. troops killed in action while their pictures are shown to viewers.

As of Thursday, 533 U.S. troops have been killed in action in the Iraq war; another 204 troops have died from nonhostile incidents.

Sinclair general counsel Barry Faber confirmed the company told its ABC affiliates not to air Friday's Nightline.

"We find it to be contrary to public interest," he said.

ABC said that on the first anniversary of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks it aired the names and pictures of all those who died on that day.

"ABC News will continue to report on all facets of the war in Iraq and the war on terrorism in a manner consistent with the standards which ABC News has set for decades," it said.

Sinclair's statement said ABC is politicizing the war.

"Mr. Koppel and 'Nightline' are hiding behind this so-called tribute in an effort to highlight only one aspect of the war effort and in doing so to influence public opinion against the military action in Iraq," the statement said.

According to campaign finance records, four of Sinclair's top executives each have given the maximum campaign contribution of $2,000 to the Bush-Cheney re-election campaign.

The executives have not given any donations to the campaign of Sen. John Kerry, the presumptive Democratic nominee, the records showed.

Sinclair owns and operates, programs, or provides sales services to 62 stations in 39 markets, according to its Web site.

In addition its ABC outlets, Sinclair's television group includes 20 Fox, 19 WB, six UPN, three CBS and four NBC affiliates, and two independent stations.

It reaches approximately 24 percent of all U.S. television households, according to the Web site.

ABC News will show the tribute live on its large television screen in New York's Times Square.

==================================================

from Sinclair Broadcase Group's website:

http://www.sbgi.net

ABC Nightline Pre-emption

The ABC Television Network announced on Tuesday that the Friday, April 30 edition of "Nightline" will consist entirely of Ted Koppel reading aloud the names of U.S. servicemen and women killed in action in Iraq. Despite the denials by a spokeswoman for the show, the action appears to be motivated by a political agenda designed to undermine the efforts of the United States in Iraq.

There is no organization that holds the members of our military and those soldiers who have sacrificed their lives in service of our country in higher regard than Sinclair Broadcast Group. While Sinclair would support an honest effort to honor the memory of these brave soldiers, we do not believe that is what "Nightline" is doing. Rather, Mr. Koppel and "Nightline" are hiding behind this so-called tribute in an effort to highlight only one aspect of the war effort and in doing so to influence public opinion against the military action in Iraq. Based on published reports, we are aware of the spouse of one soldier who died in Iraq who opposes the reading of her husband's name to oppose our military action. We suspect she is not alone in this viewpoint. As a result, we have decided to preempt the broadcast of "Nightline' this Friday on each of our stations which air ABC programming.

We understand that our decision in this matter may be questioned by some. Before you judge our decision, however, we would ask that you first question Mr. Koppel as to why he chose to read the names of 523 troops killed in combat in Iraq, rather than the names of the thousands of private citizens killed in terrorist attacks since and including the events of September 11, 2001. In his answer, we believe you will find the real motivation behind his action scheduled for this Friday. Unfortunately, we may never know for sure because Mr. Koppel has refused repeated requests from Sinclair's News Central news organization to comment on this Friday's program.

==================================================

--------------------
All I know is The Growery is a place where losers who get banned here go.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineGernBlanston
unintended sideeffect

Loc: In my pants
Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: afoaf]
    #2621108 - 04/30/04 01:31 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

http://www.mediachannel.org/views/dissector/affalert187.shtml

Quote:

The political leanings of Sinclair executives also may have played a part in the company's decision to block the popular ABC news program. In 2004, Sinclair executives gave 98 percent of their political contributions to GOP candidates.

and
Quote:

Of the top twenty TV and Radio companies to make political contributions in 2004, Sinclair Broadcasting Group, is among the most conservative, giving 98 percent of its $65,434 in political contributions to GOP candidates... ...According to the Center for Responsive Politics, Sinclair CEO and President David Smith personally gave $2,000, the maximum individual contribution, to President Bush's 2004 re-election campaign.

I commented on this yesterday (Myth of the Media thread here: http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...amp;fpart=all). We have now even more proof that the owners of individual stations not only steer content towards their own ends, but in the case of the Sinclair Group, they have a broadcast studio in Baltimore where they produce content which they in turn send to their affiliates to be broadcast on the evening news.

In December of 2001, the Sinclair Group officially told all of it's affiliates that they were to support president Bush in every way, and that distinctly anti-Bush stories would not be tolerated. (I'll try to find a link for this in a few...)

I can see how people might argue about which outlets are biased in which direction or who's more centrist, but I simply cannot grok how anyone could beleive in their hearts of hearts that there is simply no bias coming from the top.

Gern

--------------------
There is no flag large enough to cover the shame of killing innocent people.
  --  Howard Zinn

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: GernBlanston]
    #2621165 - 04/30/04 01:45 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

GREAT INFORMATION.

I'm calling their offices today.

--------------------

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: GernBlanston]
    #2621188 - 04/30/04 01:53 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

The theory is that most media companies are conservative because they are large corperations. Some evidence of this is the 1996 Telecommunications Act being either glossed over or made to look nice and rosy.

However, there are two problems here: First, with a few exceptions the journalists are the ones who have the most control over the news. And statisticaly journalists tend to be quite liberal.
Second, if media corporations are interested in profit they have to sell to the largest public demographic groups, which are not conservatives. The majority of American is self-described moderate Democrats or independent centrists. Thus the media pitches to them, and their broadcasts tend to be a bit left of center.

Because of the influence of journalists, many of whom are reanacting Vietnam nostalgia, and the corporate interest of media companies to reach out to a mainly Democrat audience I can say that the media is liberal biased. However, the US media seemed to support the war until it stopped going good, and it became political ammunition against Bush.

At the same time you have people like the Sinclair Group supporting Bush you have companies like the BBC, The Gaurdian and The Independent that outright profess to be anti-war, and yet people still think they are unbiased.

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2621215 - 04/30/04 02:00 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

All three publications you list as being strongly liberal are English.

1) The English are a little more liberal than Americans
2) English publications are more open with their politics than American ones, where objectivity, or the appearance of it, is given high regard
3) There are also conservative English publications, such as the Economist, which has a strong American readership - almost certainly a larger, and more influential, American following than the Guardian or the Independent.

Good article, afoaf. I think that it is a bit alarming that the business owners would prevent the distribution of material for blatantly political reasons.

OfflineDivided_Sky
Ten ThousandThings

Loc: The Shining Void
Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: phi1618]
    #2621242 - 04/30/04 02:05 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

phi1618 said:
All three publications you list as being strongly liberal are English.

1) The English are a little more liberal than Americans
2) English publications are more open with their politics than American ones, where objectivity, or the appearance of it, is given high regard
3) There are also conservative English publications, such as the Economist, which has a strong American readership - almost certainly a larger, and more influential, American following than the Guardian or the Independent.

Good article, afoaf. I think that it is a bit alarming that the business owners would prevent the distribution of material for blatantly political reasons.

I would say this is all very true.

However, what about the prevention distribution of material that is blatantly political for blatantly political reasons? Sinclair were the ones who were complaining that the show was too political. Is it then fair to blame them for by political by not showing it? Does rejecting an allegedly left-wing biased story make you right-wing biased?

--------------------
1. "After an hour I wasn't feeling anything so I decided to take another..."
2. "We were feeling pretty good so we decided to smoke a few bowls..."
3. "I had to be real quiet because my parents were asleep upstairs..."

Offlinephi1618
old hand

Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: Divided_Sky]
    #2621283 - 04/30/04 02:16 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Is reading the names of the American soldiers who have died fighting in Iraq blatantly political material?

It doesn't seem so to me - people already know that Americans have died fighting in Iraq.

This is a memorial, something to give respect and recognition to American soldiers who died fighting for their country, not a commentary on the war. It has long been an American tradition to reserve a special place for our war dead, because they were went to their deaths willingly in service of their country.

Not to say that those innocents who died in terrorist attacks don't deserve recognition, but there is a clear qualitative difference between soldiers who died in war and civilians who were slaughtered: this is in fact the reason why most Americans find terrorism to be more reprehensible than open war.

I hope that few people (liberal OR conservative) will buy the argument that remembering the war dead is liberal politics, and I suspect that this is a VERY bad public relations move on the part of the Sinclair Broadcast Group.

InvisibleXochitl
synchronicitycircuit
Loc: the brainforest
Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: phi1618]
    #2621325 - 04/30/04 02:24 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

The reading of the names of the dead is fact - not political spin. Sinclair obviously cannot cope with reality not unlike other Bush supporters.

--------------------
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

-Donald Rumsfeld 2/2/02 Pentagon

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: Xochitl]
    #2621456 - 04/30/04 02:51 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Both the fax line and the main number listed
on Sinclair's website are off the hook.

what a bunch of pussies.

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
    #2621535 - 04/30/04 03:09 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

It is certainly not impossible to find a small mid-western/southern media company with conservative leanings. This does not in any way negate the fact that the largest media outlets in this country, NY Times, LA Times, Washington Post, 3 out of 4 major broadcast networks and 3 out of 4 cable news outlets are overwhelmingly liberal in their bias. These are far and away the dominant sources for national news in this country. They also admittedly slant their coverage to propel their liberal agenda. Which is fine, that is their right. It is foolish to deny it, though, and consumers of their product should be aware of it.

As to this Nightline reading, they (Sinclair) make a very good point that some family members object to their relatives' sacrifices being politicized. I bet that there are more than a few who support the war and are not the least bit interested in having their loss and grief exploited.

Finally, and I don't know why they didn't mention this, but TV revenues, as you might know, are predicated on ratings. I sincerely doubt that the ratings for this will rise above those of a Bugs Bunny marathon. If I was an executive in charge of that company I would be very leery of anybody who told me this would get many viewers.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: zappaisgod]
    #2621561 - 04/30/04 03:14 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Quote:

This does not in any way negate the fact that the largest media outlets in this country, NY Times, LA Times, Washington Post, 3 out of 4 major broadcast networks and 3 out of 4 cable news outlets are overwhelmingly liberal in their bias.

Might this have to do with the fact that New York, Los Angeles, and Washington are all big cities that are predominantly liberal?

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Offlinephi1618
old hand

#2621613 - 04/30/04 03:24 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

You forgot the Wall Street Journal. Also, I have observed that phrases like "are overwhelmingly liberal in their bias" and "also admittedly slant their coverage to promote their liberal agenda" are very common from a ceartain breed of conservatives but that it is less common to see any support for these statements.

Quote:

As to this Nightline reading, they (Sinclair) make a very good point that some family members object to their relatives' sacrifices being politicized.

You think this Nightline reading is political? Do you have anything to back this up beyond your own view that Nightline has a liberal bias?

It seems to me that there is no contradiction between supporting the war in Iraq and wanting to recognize those who have died in the line of duty.
To quote Ted Koppel on this issue:
"As far as I'm concerned, it's a blank slate. People will take away some reflection of what they bring to it."

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: silversoul7]
    #2621640 - 04/30/04 03:28 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

Has everything to do with it. Because of the huge size of their local audiences they have also come to dominate the national news media. Smaller, more conservative markets can't compete in content generation. They just don't have the resources to produce the slick product of the big boys. The only media that conservatives dominate is radio which is relatively cheap to produce

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2621863 - 04/30/04 04:05 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

To quote Ted Koppel on this issue:

"As far as I'm concerned, it's a blank slate. People will take away some reflection of what they bring to it."

--------------------

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#2621894 - 04/30/04 04:15 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

I read that Koppel quote over several times and the best I can make of it is that he thinks people will bring their preconceptions with them when they examine the news. I think that's reasonable. But I think he goes a little far calling it a "blank" slate. And it's an awful metaphor. Slates are not reflective bodies.

--------------------

Invisibleafoaf
CEO DBK?
 User Gallery

#2621966 - 04/30/04 04:28 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

I don't think the blank slate symbolism
was supposed to tie in with the reflection
bit.

post wasn't really aimed at you, per se.

--------------------

Invisiblesir tripsalot
Administrator
 Arcade Champion: Skeleton Park

#2622086 - 04/30/04 04:46 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

The only problem I have with them doing this is what about the soldiers who will die later?

But of course honouring the dead soldiers isnt "liberal propoganda". Any conservative should be angry with the idea that liberals are the only ones who care about fallen soldiers.

--------------------

"Little racoons and old possums 'n' stuff all live up in here. They've got to have a little place to sit." Bob Ross.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: conservative bias vs liberal bias [Re: sir tripsalot]
    #2622212 - 04/30/04 05:13 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

I do not think that this is being done to honor the dead. I think it is political grandstanding. Neither of these can be proven. I am quite sure some families of the dead feel the same way and object. Your last sentence was just asinine, as reading or not reading this list on the air does not indicate any level of caring at all.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #2622370 - 04/30/04 05:52 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

We understand that our decision in this matter may be questioned by some. Before you judge our decision, however, we would ask that you first question Mr. Koppel as to why he chose to read the names of 523 troops killed in combat in Iraq, rather than the names of the thousands of private citizens killed in terrorist attacks since and including the events of September 11, 2001. In his answer, we believe you will find the real motivation behind his action scheduled for this Friday. Unfortunately, we may never know for sure because Mr. Koppel has refused repeated requests from Sinclair's News Central news organization to comment on this Friday's program.

What does 9/11 have to do with Iraq? Oh yeah, not a lot, but some keep pushing it anyway (apparently oblivious to the fact that scores of movies and documentaries about 9/11 have already been made).

You might find this article interesting afoaf:

Quote:

Sinclair, The Next Fox, 'Fair and Balanced'

Wes Vernon
Thursday, Jan. 29, 2004

WASHINGTON -- One of the nation?s newest and fastest-growing TV news networks says it's tired of left-leaning news reporting and wants to offer Americans a fair and balanced perspective, just as Fox News Channel does.

Fox News eschewed politically correct news to become the dominant force on cable news. And now the Sinclair Broadcast Group has been following in Fox's footsteps to do the same for broadcast news in news markets across the nation.

Read More

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2622380 - 04/30/04 05:54 PM (13 years, 1 day ago)

I would have to see it first before I could form an opinion on the purpose of the show.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion