Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Christchurch, NZ Flag
How's my monotub looking so far?
    #26189296 - 09/15/19 08:12 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

This is my first bulk grow. This pic shows the white mycelium poking through the verm layer. Sorry it's a bit hard to see through the plastic. Initially I didn't have a casing, but I'd left exposed grains on top and was worried they'd be contaminated. I started this about ten days ago. At this point should I do anything, or just wait and let it do it's thing?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How's my monotub looking so far? [Re: Bodhibiscuit]
    #26189353 - 09/15/19 09:12 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

ok this has got to be the 100th time this weekend where il say  please post your pics here! upload them to this site nobody wants to click a link that will take them off the site. you will have better chances of ppl helping you if your pics are here. i dont know why ppl continue to do this i mean if they have ever read any threads at all they would know this as it seems to happen in like 1 of every 4 threads these days.

--------------------
PANAEOLUS FRUITING MADE SIMPLE

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

Re: How's my monotub looking so far? [Re: jcm4620]
    #26189930 - 09/15/19 02:18 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

My apologies, and thanks for still taking the time to school me. I’d have continued blundering on with imgur had you not. So here is the tub. I wasnt sure I should risk opening the lid for a better picture at this stage.

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #26189938 - 09/15/19 02:21 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Just waiting now.

Couple things, it's a myth opening the tub is bad. (if you'd want to take a pic (we love pics)) :smile:

Secondly I'd suggest more like 80/20 coir/verm casing. Have not had as much success with verm only casing, but not like that will stop fruiting.

Good luck.

--------------------
But if you're in a hurry, and really got to go
If you're in a hurry, might have to find out slow
That it's one thing to try and another to fly
You get there quicker just a step at a time
It's one thing to bark, another to bite
The show ain't over till you pack up at night

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How's my monotub looking so far? [Re: filthyknees]
    #26190154 - 09/15/19 04:12 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

ya def open it  up n get a better ic its to hard to really c that one

--------------------

Edited by jcm4620 (09/15/19 04:12 PM)

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

#26190167 - 09/15/19 04:17 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Cool, thanks for the advice filthyknees. I will take a clearer pic in another day or so when things have progressed more.

InvisiblePsilotyl
נָזִיר
Male User Gallery

Loc: עולם
    #26190186 - 09/15/19 04:29 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I have good luck with coffee grounds, spahgnum, coir, verm casing. Keep it light. An important thing is not to mist the casing directly much after it is laid. The last thing you want is a bogged down casing where mushrooms cant grow through, and are stunted or retarded. Can lead to contaminations also. Long story short, however you case, remember to midst the walls of the tub when moisturizing (during the early stage of inducing fruiting especially) and let in plenty of air, and you’ll be good to go.

--------------------
‎שלום וְאור | PEACE & LIGHT

Offlinejcm4620
Stranger
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How's my monotub looking so far? [Re: Psilotyl]
    #26190216 - 09/15/19 04:50 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

id suggest leaving the coffee out seems like that shot leads to more contams than it gives back in  benefits.

--------------------

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

#26195083 - 09/18/19 06:13 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

So it's a few days later and I've taken some clearer pics.
In addition to the 60L tub cased with vermiculite, I also started two uncased 27L tubs, also using a 1:1 manure/straw mix. A check of them tonight revealed contamination in one of them. Is it worth trying to salvage or should I cut my losses and toss that one?
From left to right: (1-3) contaminated 27L, (4) uncontaminated 27L,  (5-7) 60L with casing.

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How's my monotub looking so far? [Re: Bodhibiscuit] * 1
    #26195427 - 09/18/19 09:40 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Did you not shred your manure? That does not look like any manure tub I have ever seen.

--------------------

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

#26195858 - 09/18/19 02:02 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Before starting them, I searched for info on how finely shredded the manure needs to be. According to this thread: Shredding horse poo?
I figured crumbling it by hand should be fine, but I guess it’s still far too chunky?
Next time I’ll properly shred it using my line trimmer in a big rubbish bin.

Invisiblefilthyknees
no coincidence
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: How's my monotub looking so far? [Re: Bodhibiscuit] * 1
    #26196039 - 09/18/19 04:04 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

That was from 11 years ago. Shred shred it (dry) and mix 50/50 with verm or straw before pasturizing.

Try recent teks. User azur has threads on manure pasteurization in jars and bags.

--------------------

OfflineFun-G
Dr gonzo
Male User Gallery
    #26196074 - 09/18/19 04:35 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

filthyknees said:
Did you not shred your manure? That does not look like any manure tub I have ever seen.

I agree, you're manure is very chunky. It should be broken up to a much finer consistency, it also looks a bit on the wet side which is more then likely the reason for cobweb mold.

The cobweb will overrun that tub in a matter of days, best to bury the tub outside and hope for the best. (If that is a option for you)

The tub cased with verm looks fine from my end bit you should have it covered to build co2, it will colonize faster. The idea is to leave the co2 levels as high as possible during the bulk run and then once you see primadora drop them to 0 and you'll get a magnificant pin set. Same idea as the wax paper tek but slightly different

I always leave my tub covered with saran wrap with plenty of pin sized holes and then remove the wrap and put the lid on (if I'm using holes in the side for f.a.e) if not i usually just do a invitro style fruit by leaving it covered during colonization and fruiting....some cubensis thrive better then others in low f.a.e..... Burma requires a lot of f.a.e where as the g.t's do wonderful with little to no fanning.

I'd stick with ohmatics monotub design like you have op, I do things differently on my end from time to time.

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

#26196131 - 09/18/19 05:08 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks. I did the pasteurisation using a couple of extra large oven bags in a water bath, keeping the center of the mix at 75°C for an hour.
I'm going to try doing another batch tonight, but better shredded and with verm or coir instead of straw.

OfflineFun-G
Dr gonzo
Male User Gallery
    #26196191 - 09/18/19 05:57 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Its 90min at 75c, just tack on 30min. Doubt it was your pasteurization.... you just need to squeeze dry it better to avoid overly wet areas in the mix. My best tip of advice is to make sure you dont squeeze dry the substrate while it's still hot/warm cause moisture evaporation is still occurring and if you squeeze it until just a few drops of water come out it will come out dry. Wait until it's at room temp and then ring it until you can only get a few droplets of water.

:cheers:

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

Re: How's my monotub looking so far? [Re: Fun-G]
    #26196289 - 09/18/19 06:46 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Its 90min at 75c

:tongue: D'oh! I actually meant to write 90 mins, not 60. Anyway...
It's probably too wet then? I think it'll take me a few attempts to properly understand what field capacity feels like. I've a rough idea of what it's supposed to feel like.
About a cupful of water has condensed between the bottom of the tote and the plastic liner – is that an indicator of too much water or can it be expected?
Thanks for the tip about waiting until room temp to strain!

OfflineFun-G
Dr gonzo
Male User Gallery
    #26196316 - 09/18/19 07:02 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Sounds pretty normal, I usually end up with about a half a cup to a cup of pooled water between the sub and bin, never caused me any problems. Usually a result of condensation dripping down the sides from evaporation, I say usually cause sometimes it can be over misting....bulk substrates are not ment to be misted, the r.h comes from the bulk material itself.

True monotubs (by ohmatic) are never intended to be opened, it's all done automatic.

InvisiblePsilotyl
נָזִיר
Male User Gallery

#26200199 - 09/20/19 09:03 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jcm4620 said:
id suggest leaving the coffee out seems like that shot leads to more contams than it gives back in  benefits.

Yes coffee can be iffy for sure, good point. I’m a little different in the way I case, sometimes mixing in some nutrients, like a bit of hpoo to encourage colonization. This seems to avoid the bogged down casing problem I had years ago when starting, and have rolled with what works for me. I suppose it’s not a true modern “casing”, but a sort of light addition of more substrate, evening things out.

It is mostly wise to not stray to far from the traditional casing elements like coir and vermiculite. Mine is typically laid a little lighter than you see most of the time, accounting for what I am doing.

--------------------

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

Re: How's my monotub looking so far? [Re: Psilotyl]
    #26202258 - 09/22/19 04:57 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Thanks for the tips guys. After checking my 60 L tub with the verm casing yesterday, I noticed it had started pinning! This is what it looks like now:

I'm just happy to be achieving something on my first try (in 15 years).
I'm not so confident about the two 27 L tubs, especially the contaminated one, but I'll just wait and see what happens with them.
This afternoon I got around to properly shredding the next batch of manure and straw using my line trimmer in a big rubbish bin. It has a much more even consistency than doing it by hand.

InvisiblePsilotyl
נָזִיר
Male User Gallery

#26210988 - 09/26/19 12:55 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Bodhibiscuit said:
Thanks for the tips guys. After checking my 60 L tub with the verm casing yesterday, I noticed it had started pinning! This is what it looks like now:

I'm just happy to be achieving something on my first try (in 15 years).
I'm not so confident about the two 27 L tubs, especially the contaminated one, but I'll just wait and see what happens with them.
This afternoon I got around to properly shredding the next batch of manure and straw using my line trimmer in a big rubbish bin. It has a much more even consistency than doing it by hand.

Congrats, glad to hear you have pinning. Always a good day :smile: see what happens when ya don’t give up? MUSHROOMS ARE WHAT HAPPEN

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   North Spore Boomr Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder