Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
Caps' Quick Oats
    #26200501 - 09/21/19 02:09 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

This Tek is part of
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Caps' Quick Oats
(jars or bags, start to finish)

Nothing new here, just  writing up teks for my process start to finish: which includes oats, requiring I prep them... This is the fastest way I've found to prep them without sacrificing consistency or quality

I don't rinse, I don't soak, and I don't have time for all that!  I've figured that oats hydrate at a volume increase of  ~66%, meaning for every 3 parts dry, you'll end up with roughly 5 parts hydrated... When I'm doing jars, I use 3  "to the brim" full qts, which gives me 5 full qts, or 10 jars with right at, or right above 2 cups... If you prefer to have more grain per jar, try 3.5qts dry, and if that's still not enough, go 4 dry qts for every 10 intended jars

I'm using measured gallon bags for proven cultures in [url= ]My SOS's (Shoebox On Steroids)[/url], and bulk  gourmet runs... Same ratio applies, and I use a gallon pitcher instead of a qt jar, which fits perfectly into the mouth of an 8x5" bag: super convenient for loading bags with grain or substrate... 3 gallons for each 5 intended bags, or 3 standard qts per bag for smaller batches... This will give you a little over a gallon per bag but :shrug:
Each bag recieves one Prepless Pint Master in it's entirety, which each recieve their own SAGARI drop in their entireties...

Procedure

Place predetermined needed amount of dry  oats directly into a pot 4 times the volume or more... To give an inclination, 2 full gallon pitchers will fill a 23qt presto about 4.5" deep, and hydrate to fill nearly 2/3 of it: 3 gallons would likely overflow fully hydrated(not possible in the vessel of course)...

Once oats are measured and placed into your larger pot, fill with hot water roughly 2.5-3 times the height of the dry oats, turn on high heat, cover and wait... Depending on the volume of grain, check in on it after an appropriate amount of time to allow it to nearly boil; once boiling, reduce heat to maintain a simmering boil for 30-45 minutes... Check on the oats every 5 minutes or so after this point until you have a good idea of how long your brand takes to hydrate fully in your climate, at your elevation... Some brands are more difficult to hydrate and will require cooking for upto 2 hours IME

Once you  start to see some of the grains bursting, take one that hasn't burst and bite it: this will give you a better idea of what to look for... Remove from heat and strain immediately; I made my strainer from an old window screen, some 1/4" chicken wire, and two 1x4" frames...

Stir the oats every few minutes while they're hot: this will help the heat to dispate, carrying a lot of the surface moisture away in the form of steam... Once they've cooled enough that they're no longer putting off steam when stirred, place a fan on them: I use a small window unit with 2 fans in it, placed directly on top of the grain blowing down through them, but a larger single fan just blowing across the surface will suffice...

Turn the oats thouroughly every 15-20 minutes initially, and more and more frequently as they dry... The idea is to dry them uniformly so that you dont have wet/dry patches once loaded and sterilized...  It's imperative that you get the outside of the oats completely dry; like, "that's TOO dry!" dry... Especially for bags! *I've read other cultivators say that "too dry" is possible, but IME, if fully hydrated internally, worst case is slow leap off*

Load the oats into the pressure cooker (or [url= ]steamer[/url]) accordingly, filling with water to halfway up the bottom level of jars or bags... For pressure cookers, I set the heat on high with the rocker weight in place until the cover lock rises, then remove the weight to vent the steam for 5-10 minutes(until it stops sputtering for 2 solid minutes and is a steady stream of steam) I find waiting to vent until the cover lock engages, and waiting to replace the rocker until you have solid steam for 120+ seconds, to be an effective way to ensure proper timing for venting, and thus more consistent sterilization(utilization of time and resources)... Replace the rocker weight and let it build pressure... Once 15PSI is reached, i reduce heat to medium low to maintain pressure without losing a lot of steam and risking running dry, and set the timer:  2 hours for jars, 2.5 for bags

Allow the oats to cool completely before innoculating... This can be done in a few hours if pulled from the vessel after pressure stabilization; though I wouldnt suggest this method for bags unless you have laminar flow: An empty tub that's been wiped down (or SAB) will suffice to store for subsequent PC cycles... I typically opt to allow time for them to cool in the vessel they were sterilized in: 24 hours for jars, 36 hours for bags in the Presto, and 48 hours for the steamer...

Pix later... Bed time...

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Ask Caps! (My Q&A Thread)

Edited by Caps McGee (09/21/19 09:21 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinevinnie boombotz
Reggaejunkiejew

Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: Caps McGee]
    #26200519 - 09/21/19 02:46 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

First

InvisibleEminence
Male

Loc: Richmond, VA Flag
Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: vinnie boombotz]
    #26200538 - 09/21/19 03:29 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Was gonna prep some oats tomorrow. Might as well mark this and try this out with a few of my jars.

--------------------

Offlinenewtomyc
enthusiast
Male User Gallery

Loc: here there and everywhere
Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: Eminence]
    #26200648 - 09/21/19 06:14 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Good stuff, brother!!

Thanks for all that you do for this community!

Edit: some of your links on your lists are not clickable.

--------------------
JJ

Draw unto others as they have been drawn to you.... WSP

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: Eminence]
    #26200652 - 09/21/19 06:16 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

you hyper link is fubarred, broseph.

Quote:

[url= ]My SOS's (Shoebox On Steroids)[/url]

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26200657 - 09/21/19 06:17 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

also here...

Quote:

Caps McGee said:

Caps' SAGARI Method (Soft AGAR Innoculant)

Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's): No BS WBS

Caps' Quick Oats (jars or bags start to finish)

[url= ]Caps' Quick Coir (bucket tek variant)[/url]

[url= ]Caps' Test Bagboxes (MS or clone culture testing)[/url]

[url= ]Caps' SOS's (Shoebox On Steroids)[/url]

Caps' Lemon Tek Hybrid Tea

[url= ]Caps' Peanut Butter Robots (and heroic quest squares) [/url]

InvisibleAyePlus
Stony Danza
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fairfield, Connecticut
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26200921 - 09/21/19 10:05 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

This  sort of thing happens when you’re sleep deprived and write teks in the middle of the night.

Hope you’re sleepin caps. Take care or yourself buddy,  Your posts have gotten a little erratic lately.

--------------------
Learn about breeding

C10’s agar guide
Good surface conditions = Good pinsets
Read more, post less.
πŸ…‚ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό πŸ„΄  πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό  πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

Invisibleeatyualive
Eat's You Alive :)
 User Gallery

Loc: In Your Head
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: AyePlus]
    #26201604 - 09/21/19 05:14 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

:thumbup:

--------------------
EAT GETS SHIT DONE

:flame::chief:JOIN THE POW WOW:chief::flame:

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: eatyualive] * 1
    #26201666 - 09/21/19 06:02 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

It's incomplete guys
.. under construction: said and done, the list will be fully functional, and the teks will be interlinked to one another for easy reference... patience please guys: still a mush farm, 3 kids, livestock, gf... you get it...

I know it's been "coming" for a while now... but outside normal operations, this is priority one... thx for your continued support

The list is filled out to drop in links once they are posted and I have one... it's just formatted without the url for easy reference  (mine for now, you all's later)

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Loc: SoCal
    #26202058 - 09/21/19 11:47 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Why not drop SAGARI into bags? Why bother with the jar first?

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: badsponge]
    #26202065 - 09/21/19 11:51 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

These are the bags? I do prepless pint masters with WBS bc it colonizes faster with the increase in inoculation points when compared to a petri dish of culture... I've tried dropping straight to the bag, actually took 4 days longer to colonize that way than going through the PPM's for G2G... As always, I suggest playing around and figuring out exactly what works best for you

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: eatyualive]
    #26202066 - 09/21/19 11:52 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

eatyualive said:
:thumbup:

THE MAN!!!

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Loc: SoCal
    #26202083 - 09/22/19 12:08 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

So you do PPMs of WBS to oat bags? Do you think similar results would bad had from using quart oat jars?

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Quick Oats [Re: badsponge]
    #26202093 - 09/22/19 12:18 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Yes, SAGARI>PPM>BAG>BOX... Like the series indicates... I don't feel that way no... For the reasons listed above and within the teks...

but again...

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
As always, I suggest playing around and figuring out exactly what works best for you

--------------------
πŸ„πŸ’šπŸ˜Ž

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates