Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Cormac McCarthy's The Counselor
    #26201523 - 09/21/19 04:26 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

The Counselor, written and produced by Cormac McCarthy and directed by Ridley Scott, is an overlooked and imo underappreciated bit of recent cinema. McCarthy is, of course, an incomparable writer of books, but his script, in the dialogue and soliloquies of the principal characters, really shines in its uniqueness and philosophical and linguistic sophistication. In other words, it's an absolutely amazing screenplay. Ridley Scott is excellent as director, and brings the whole thing to life, but this is really a McCarthy vehicle (and the argument could be made that screenwriters have a lot more to do with a finished product than is commonly assumed).

I have now seen it four times, and it's one of those movies that gets better on each viewing. When I first saw it, I liked the script but not much else. Now, I think it's a really excellent movie on all fronts, and the organic interplay between script, actors, directing, etc. works extremely well. This movie has multiple layers and absolutely requires multiple viewings, and perhaps this is one of the reasons why it is not generally so highly regarded, except by a cult following.

You come to see more and more how complex McCarthy's thinking is. There are multiple foreshadowings, and allusions and references, that can only be appreciated after seeing it a few times. Also, one begins to notice the karmic element -- this movie could be interpreted as being about the idea of karma, and how, if you're carrying a karmic load, the universe doesn't give a damn how you got it. It's also about morality in a broader sense, in that both legally and morally, one is responsible for one's actions, and rationalizations can be safely ignored. The cheetahs symbolize the dispassionate predator, who kill only because it is in their nature, and nothing need be explained about this.

One could go on and on analyzing this film, which one doesn't understand with just one viewing -- which is, I assume, where most people stopped. I think film history will regard this one quite highly. I'd love to hear from others who have seen it! 

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineclock_of_omens
razzle them dazzle them
I'm a teapot

Re: Cormac McCarthy's The Counselor [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #26230359 - 10/04/19 07:24 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

All I remember is Cameron Diaz fucking a Ferrari. I thought the movie was pretty ridiculous when I saw it.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Cormac McCarthy's The Counselor [Re: clock_of_omens]
    #26230743 - 10/04/19 10:21 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Yeah, that happens. That's a big part of my point, though -- when I first saw it, I didn't really like it that much. And then I decided to watch it again, and thought, "hmmm." Now I've seen it a few times and it seems to me it's really very good and, understandably, overlooked.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order