Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Loc: California
Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? * 1
    #26201088 - 09/21/19 12:10 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I decided that I would set a 10 minute timer and start chanting Gayatri mantra 64 times. Once that was done I would count to 10 and do my standard meditation. Try and focus on the breath from observing and watching etc.

I have had some stressful situation occur in my life lately and with limited time I decided I would only meditate 10 minutes day instead of the usual 25 minutes. My meditations sessions haven’t been as clear and focused so I decided to pickup mantra chanting as a crutch. the words give me something to focus on

I have noticed my 10 minute meditation sessions are really deep. I feel like my life has taken a significant upswing since this daily practice about a 3 weeks ago. Medical treatments that may not have worked for my car crash injury have worked really well. Layoffs in my company haven't touched me

This is hardly scientific evidence. It’s by definition anecdotal but I will say I’m surprised. The “doing better in life” part is probably due more to luck. But the depth of my meditation has been very noticeable

Do you guys believe that mantras have special metaphysical powers? I was always the type of person to believe that mantras give an easy rhythm and meter to keep meditation consistent. But no I’m starting to believe the rhyming meter itself has a serious clearing effect on the nervous system itself. Do you guys believe that mantra chanting has an effect on the space time fabric itself?

Thoughts?p

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: topdog82]
    #26201115 - 09/21/19 12:23 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

The primary question is whether this is possible. If you are of a certain persuasion, quite common in this sub, you would posit that such a thing is impossible and stop there. If, on the other hand, you imaginatively suppose that such a thing might be possible after all, then discussion is a possibility, and might be encouraged.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: DividedQuantum] * 1
    #26201136 - 09/21/19 12:36 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I have had experiences in my life in which I was completely sober and awake which lead me to believe that the reality we live in is not exclusively a sensory or physical one. The only way to explain these experiences would be to accept that there is a metaphysical layer which is on the same plane of the sensory reality we experience

If my experiences are true (which I can’t say for certain. I could be psychotic) then I wouldn’t be surprised if mantras held metaphysical powers at all

InvisiblePocketLady
 User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: topdog82] * 1
    #26201146 - 09/21/19 12:39 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I am hesitant to get involved in this discussion in PS&P. If it was in S&M, it might be different, but anyway...So, I will start by saying that there is no way to scientifically prove this (right now), but it's my personal feeling is that there's more to mantra than just regulating breathing.

Old languages like Sanskrit, Hebrew, Aramaic etc are said to have a certain 'aliveness' to them which modern languages do not. The letters and sounds are said to vibrate at specific frequencies, which have specific effects on the person saying them. I've personally used lots of different mantras over the years, and some of them have had undeniable effects which have lasted way beyond the actual session in which I said the mantra. There's also the intention aspect. When I say a mantra, I'm mentally holding a specific intention, which - if you believe in the power of the mind to manifest - is reinforcing that intention with a lot of power. If a mantra is repeated over and over again, that person might find themselves in pretty deep trance states where the subconscious/unconscious mind can be accessed, which makes it even more powerful. Can't prove though, no one can, but anecdotally I am personally pretty convinced.

--------------------
Love is from the infinite, and will remain until eternity.
The seeker of love escapes the chains of birth and death.
Tomorrow, when resurrection comes,
The heart that is not in love will fail the test.

~ Rumi

The day we start giving Love instead of seeking Love, we will have re-written our whole destiny.
~ Swami Chinmayanada Saraswatir

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: PocketLady]
    #26201158 - 09/21/19 12:45 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Can a moderator move this thread to the s and m subforum? If not I can just repost there?

I want your guys’ opinions lol

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: topdog82]
    #26201181 - 09/21/19 12:58 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

No, I don't believe that anything has metaphysical powers.

However, I do believe that meditation has physical and mental health benefits. So I think it's mainly down to your practice of meditation. Even focusing on chanting and trying not to think about anything else is close to meditation, so it's kinda like you swapped one kind of meditation for another.

I really think it's down to the mental and physical health effects of meditation overall. Or just random luck of course.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? (moved) [Re: topdog82]
    #26201208 - 09/21/19 01:16 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

This thread was moved from Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology.

Reason:
Per OP request.

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: topdog82] * 1
    #26201209 - 09/21/19 01:18 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

topdog82 said:
I have had experiences in my life in which I was completely sober and awake which lead me to believe that the reality we live in is not exclusively a sensory or physical one. The only way to explain these experiences would be to accept that there is a metaphysical layer which is on the same plane of the sensory reality we experience

If my experiences are true (which I can’t say for certain. I could be psychotic) then I wouldn’t be surprised if mantras held metaphysical powers at all

I think of reality as having several layers. Most of them are metaphysical, imo.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: DividedQuantum] * 1
    #26201242 - 09/21/19 01:39 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Yes. I have Gayathri Mantra going through my head since the 90s, repeatedly chanting it, and Enlightenment indeed has come closer.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinetopdog82
Death Spirit
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: DividedQuantum]
    #26201252 - 09/21/19 01:43 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Asante said:
Yes. I have Gayathri Mantra going through my head since the 90s, repeatedly chanting it, and Enlightenment indeed has come closer.

:smile:

I may try it next time I hole out on k. See what happens :shrug:
Quote:

DividedQuantum said:
Quote:

topdog82 said:

I think of reality as having several layers. Most of them are metaphysical, imo.

Most of them metaphysical? Never thought of about it that way but I could see that:philososloth:

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: Asante]
    #26201258 - 09/21/19 01:44 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

This particular mantra:

is notorious in Holland for sounding just like a Dutch:
"I'm cumming, put the whore on your site, put the whore on your site, I'm cumming!"

Obviously it has a far more profound meaning in Sanskrit.

I like to slip it in in online discussions of Dutch newagers who take themselves very seriously :smile:

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

Offlinedeff
just love everyone
 User Gallery

Loc: clarity Flag
    #26201276 - 09/21/19 01:55 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Gayatri is my favourite mantra :laugh: I'm a believer in their metaphysical benefits and have used several different mantras fairly extensively in my practice

--------------------

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

#26201338 - 09/21/19 02:37 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Edit: This clip is missing the entirety of the scene that would make it more relatable to the thread.

Edited by PatrickKn (09/21/19 02:45 PM)

InvisiblePatrickKn
I'm a teapot

Re: Do you believe mantras actually have metaphysical properties? [Re: nooneman]
    #26201370 - 09/21/19 02:54 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

nooneman said:
No, I don't believe that anything has metaphysical powers.

An ounce of gold exists in a vault locked away for centuries, but still moves mountains by virtue of it's existence. That is a metaphysical property.

I think a metaphysical property could be potentially defined (in terms of how the word is actually used in daily language) as an effect that naturally occurs through indirect entanglement and association, but which does not need to physically direct the reaction of to have the effect.

A mantra or a chant might have the same 'metaphysical' effect of something like gold or a musical note on paper in that it can instigate change to a circumstance through cause and effect over a period of time not directly correlated with it's physical property of being airy thought or action. It's a direction.

In true metaphysical nature, it's hard to quantify what kind of an effect a mantra would have, ranging from just about 'none' at all to the movement of a mountain or two years down the line. It's a non-definitive philosophical concept that's not necessarily something which could be measured without access to the full scope cause and effect not available to us in human form.

Edited by PatrickKn (09/21/19 02:55 PM)

OfflineLoaded Shaman
Psychophysiologist
Male User Gallery

Loc: Now O'Clock
    #26202165 - 09/22/19 01:58 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I'd assert that whatever focuses your consciousness, will have metaphysical properties, be it meditation, mantra, tantra, exercise, art, etc.

--------------------

"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one’s ignorance." — Confucius

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order