Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: ally known as ... Flag
Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS * 3
    #26200439 - 09/21/19 01:13 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

This Tek is part of
Caps' Comprehensive Cultivation Tek List

Prepless Pint Masters:
(PPM's)
No BS WBS

Ok, so after some fairly extensive testing with several brands of WBS, both sifted and straight out of the bag, two brands of whole oats, multiple species/varieties of mushrooms, and multiple grain:water ratios, I have narrowed this tek down to a decent guideline...Please note, this is only intended to be a guideline, and that your cook time and unloading procedure may take some fine tuning to achieve the intended results... With that in mind, don't get discouraged, and I suggest doing small batches initially until you've dialed in for your personal brand of choice, prep(as limited as it is, there's room for fluctuation) and locality (elevation, climate, etc)

I dont always have time to soak, or rinse, or even remember to do so before I need grain... With a steadily increasing need for more and more spawn, my paranoia for contamination grows as well...

Culture cleanliness is easy to distinguish on SAGARI (like any other agar) and has the advantages of an LI/LC... Bags of oats are great for spawn: however, SAGARI drops to bags of oats can be quite ssslllooowww... PPM's are a nice kick start for bags, with minimal effort...

WHAT YOU'LL NEED

-1/3 cup measuring cup
-3/4 cup measuring cup (or
    graduated measuring cup
    with both measurements
    marked)
-Pint jars with proper lids
-WBS (I find that finch mixes have fewer sunflower seeds and cracked corn: millet is GREAT for this, but depending on your location, could prove difficult/expensive to obtain... Oats also work; all at the same ratio... ISO rye to try)
-Water
-Pressure cooker
- about 3 hours to be around(ish)

OPTIONAL

-Small funnel (not necessary,
    but EXTREMELY helpful)
-Colander (bowl strainer)
-2 medium-sized pots (or large bowls)

OPTIONAL STEP: (preferred)
Using the 2 pots (or bowls), and the colander, sift out the corn and sunflower seeds from your WBS... Some cracked kernels will likely sneak through; this is fine, but depending on the amount of corn, may need to be taken into consideration later...

*you can drill 1/8-3/16" holes in a 5 gal bucket for larger amounts*

Procedure

Start by placing a level 3/4 cup of grain(I suspect that any grain will work, and may eventually have time to try others: anyone using other grains interested in collaborating let me know), into each pint jar you plan to inoculate: this is where the optional funnel is quite useful...

Pour a level 1/3 cup of water into each jar
    *highly suggest coming up with a system to avoid over hydrating the jars and wasting time and resources:I opt  removing the funnel and placing the lid on each jar immediately after adding water*

I like to use a 6qt pressure cooker for batches of 4 when I'm expanding one culture quite far(namely gourmets in my case), and batches of up to 20 in the Presto 23qt pressure cooker when Im expanding multiple cultures to only test subs, or single bags for SOS's (typically when I'm running cubensis)[or combination of the 2]

Load your jars standing to avoid soaking the filter or losing water and disrupting the hydration ratio... Foil is optional in most cases, but required for micropore tape filtration... In the Presto(s), they'll stack in two layers of 10 with one layer of rings under the trivet...

Fill PC with water until it's a little less than halfway up the bottom layer of jars, avoiding getting the tops of the jars overly wet...
    *I suggest leaving the top layer out for easier access and viewing until after filling*

I set the heat on high with the rocker weight in place until the cover lock rises, then remove the weight to vent the steam for 5-10 minutes(until it stops sputtering for 2 solid minutes and is a steady stream of steam) I find waiting to vent until the cover lock engages, and waiting to replace the rocker until you have solid steam for 120+ seconds, to be an effective way to ensure proper timing for venting, and thus more consistent sterilization(utilization of time and resources)... Replace the rocker weight and let it build pressure...

Once 15PSI is reached, reduce heat in order to maintain pressure, without losing a lot of steam (and risking running dry)... Set timer for 1:45-2:30(I suggest 2 hours as a good starting point for both WBS and oats, but oats typically take a little longer than, and filtered WBS not quite as long as, 2 hours(1:45 for smaller grain and 2:00 for oats seems to be on point IME)) adjust cook time based on the degree of hydration or drying...

If your WBS is unfiltered or has a lot of cracked corn in it, it's not a bad idea to unload the jars hot, giving them a shake before cooling to fluff the grain up... I've found that the starch can essentially act as a glue once cooled, and when coupled with the compaction due to expansion/hydration, can make the initial shake quite difficult: but not impossible, or necessary... have even left a ball of grain about one and a quarter inches in diameter, and it colonized G2G just fine, and fruit through 2nd flush before tossing; never contaminated... if it seems to have over cooked and either burst grains making them mushy, or dried them out, run the next batch for less time... On the contrary, if it seems the grain didn't absorb the water and there's a great deal of moisture present, cook the next batch for more time... 15 minute intervals are a pretty safe bet for measurable but manageable adjustments...

Important disclaimer: always check your jars before use, before inoculation, and before any shake... I suggest this regardless of your prep, but this tek is prone to cracking older/more used jars... 12 cycles seems to be a good number to really start watching: I've a few been through 40+ and still holding up  :shrug:

Results

Edited by Caps McGee (09/21/19 09:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinepixelpopper
Crap Artist

Loc: Dreamland
Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: Caps McGee]
    #26200470 - 09/21/19 01:35 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Interesting. I still use pint jars, so I'll give it a shot!

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: pixelpopper]
    #26200494 - 09/21/19 01:57 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

:cool::cool::cool:

Offlineverum subsequentis
seeker of truth

Trusted Cultivator
    #26200626 - 09/21/19 05:51 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

:clintonshuh:

OfflineDnDRnD
Hobby cultivator

Loc: Washington Flag
Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26200963 - 09/21/19 10:39 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Badass :thumbup: im gonna try this next time I make a batch of WBS :snowman:

--------------------
Bods Easy AF Oat Prep Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24126032

Pastywhytes No Pour Agar Tek (PastyPlates)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Shaperdreamings Shoebox Assembly Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662

Down with the bourgeoisie and up with the proletariat

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: verum subsequentis]
    #26201681 - 09/21/19 06:10 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

verum subsequentis said:
:clintonshuh:

:shrug:
It's almost as if my cultures are trained to them... idk: more consistent over time maybe... but yeah bruh!

Offlinejbgtaa
extraterrestrial
Male User Gallery

#26202255 - 09/22/19 04:51 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I actually do just this with millet for masters, so it will definitely work with that grain. I’ve yet to try oat this way though

--------------------
If the thunder don't get ya, the lightning will.
In another time's forgotten space, your eyes looked through your mother's face.
Trade List
Forever giving away prints. PM at anytime for a free print.

Edited by jbgtaa (09/22/19 12:04 PM)

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: jbgtaa]
    #26202461 - 09/22/19 09:10 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Pad? Is that aurocorrected oats? Lol

Offlinejbgtaa
extraterrestrial
Male User Gallery

#26202752 - 09/22/19 12:04 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Yessir it is :lol: my bad

--------------------
Trade List

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#26202767 - 09/22/19 12:10 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

:cool:
Thought I missed some new grain

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
Loc: SoCal
    #26203562 - 09/22/19 07:53 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Can this be scaled up proportionally to quart jars? Or bags? I'm thinking no, that it's probably the small pint size that makes this work.

Offlinejbgtaa
extraterrestrial
Male User Gallery

Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: badsponge]
    #26203690 - 09/22/19 09:03 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

badsponge said:
Can this be scaled up proportionally to quart jars? Or bags? I'm thinking no, that it's probably the small pint size that makes this work.

yeah it does i use quart masters. Millet, water, PC. easy peasy. How could the size of the jar change the physical properties of both millet and water...? You heat the water and the millet absorbs it, simple.

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by jbgtaa (09/22/19 09:04 PM)

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

#26203823 - 09/22/19 10:45 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

It's not the recipe, it's the vessel... The concern is that with the added volume, the pressure from expansion and compaction would be more prone to burst qt jars during the cycle... This might could be remedied by using hot tap water and letting the jars sit overnight: giving them a shake before loading them for sterilization... This is simply speculation, as I've not scaled up... The PPM is but one step in a series of steps completing my process, and may not be the best option for many of you... I find that they colonize quickly, and provide adequate inoculation points for the bags to colonize rather quickly as well... On average, across 5-6 side by side test runs, bags inoculated directly with SAGARI drops were taking 18 days, whereas SAGARI>PPM>BAG averages 14  days from plate to full colonization (usually drop PPM's to bags on day 5, and spawn SOS's on bag day 9)

Side note guys, and may be worth mentioning: I like to use a strip of white electrical tape across the lids of my jars that have the culture specifics, and is dated for SAGARI drops, PPM>bag, and when the tub is spawned... This label stays with the culture through all vessels, and also contains any information about tested variables (e.g. "NG" for no gloves, or " 1/8" " to idicate a shallow top layer) I suggest spending the extra dollar for the good stuff (3M, F4P: good tape): especially if you're using 2 piece metal lids... Flip the lid rubber seal out before adding the ring(if you aren't already) and add the tape strip prior to the cook cycle: the cheap stuff will survive, but loses much of its adhesiveness, and becomes less maluable/ more difficult to work with and keep track of

Invisiblevan hattonFacebookDiscord
Still a noob
 User Gallery

Loc: Michigan
Trusted Cultivator
    #26203839 - 09/22/19 10:57 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Reading later :oldman:

--------------------
If I ever give out misinformation please inform me so I can have the correct information. :cheers:

Tmethyl said:
Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked a monotub that wasn't pinning fast enough. The force of the kick rearranged the genetics of the mushrooms, we now call them Penis Envy.

Caps McGee said:
:thumbsup:
Fun part is figuring out what works best for you

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
    #26204344 - 09/23/19 10:23 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Caps McGee said:
I like to use a 6qt pressure cooker for batches of 4 when I'm expanding one culture quite far(namely gourmets in my case), and batches of up to 20 in the Presto 23qt pressure cooker when Im expanding multiple cultures to only test subs

How you get 20 pints in there? Seriously, teach me! I can't get more than 18 in mine :shrug:

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26204346 - 09/23/19 10:25 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

jbgtaa said:
i use quart masters. Millet, water, PC. easy peasy. How could the size of the jar change the physical properties of both millet and water...? You heat the water and the millet absorbs it, simple.

So for quarts, you use 2/3 cup water and 2 SAGARI drops?

Offlinejbgtaa
extraterrestrial
Male User Gallery

Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: badsponge]
    #26204753 - 09/23/19 01:44 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

badsponge said:
Quote:

jbgtaa said:
i use quart masters. Millet, water, PC. easy peasy. How could the size of the jar change the physical properties of both millet and water...? You heat the water and the millet absorbs it, simple.

So for quarts, you use 2/3 cup water and 2 SAGARI drops?

What? I use a 1/4 cup of millet and 1/2 cup of water. It expands about .5 inches but the initial mixture takes up exactly half the jar there abouts.

For inoculation i use agar wedges. I dont follow This^ exact tek, i was just commenting that i do something similar so the people who want to use quart jars and plain millet can scale this up appropriately.

I almost exclusively use the method i just described for master jars and i havent had any masters contaminate in about 3 weeks, and i've NEVER had ANYTHING burst in my pc, idk how my method would even accomplish that.

I think the idea of putting these in pints is even better than using quarts, if only for the fact you can fit more in the PC at once. I think half pints for small personal grows would be cool to, im honestly just fascinated at the idea of doing this whole hobby on the smallest scale possible while not affecting total production.

--------------------
Trade List

Edited by jbgtaa (09/23/19 01:49 PM)

Offlinebadsponge
 User Gallery
    #26204774 - 09/23/19 02:01 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Cool, thanks for the explanation. I've been using only oats, already have 60 quart jars, so was hoping to try it with those. I don't want to buy more stuff if I can avoid it. I'm going to keep using oat bags, but switching to millet for the G2G jars seems like a good idea for the increase of noc points. I'll try with quart jars and experiment with 1 or 2 SAGARI drops in each, and try 1 quart jar per bag, or split 1 into 2 bags.

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: badsponge] * 1
    #26206879 - 09/24/19 03:34 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I do pints (hence the name)... but it'd make sense to double the recipe... one drop will suffice, as traditionally, a single wedge is used to inoculate quart jars... hell, I've inoculated as many as 20 from a culture only 2" in diameter: it'll be slower, but if your sterilization was efdicient, and your technique well enough, it'll do it's thing... using the pints is really just a go between plates and bags for me... a way to not only spread the culture further with solid inoculation points, but also give it a chance to asjiar to feeding on grain: despite not being oats like my bags... Hope that clears it up a bit...

InvisibleCaps McGee
Grandaddy Smurfshack

Re: Caps' Prepless Pint Masters (PPM's):No BS WBS [Re: ShaperDreaming]
    #26206889 - 09/24/19 03:38 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
Quote:

Caps McGee said:
I like to use a 6qt pressure cooker for batches of 4 when I'm expanding one culture quite far(namely gourmets in my case), and batches of up to 20 in the Presto 23qt pressure cooker when Im expanding multiple cultures to only test subs

How you get 20 pints in there? Seriously, teach me! I can't get more than 18 in mine :shrug:

8 on the outside, 2 in the middle: 2 levels... place the bottom level so one sits directly under the coverlock latch, and the top layer will sit out of the way

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale