Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineZahid
Stranger
Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions
    #2618661 - 04/29/04 08:47 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I thought I would share some quotes from some of the work of a well known Islamic mystic, Hazrat Inayat Khan - one of my favorites for his demonstration of music as a spiritual tool in zikr, and of course his love for all other religions and cultures with works like Unity of Religious Ideals & The Soul, Whence and Whither. I thought many of you might enjoy Hazrah Khan; in the face of the political strife that exists in Islam today.

Ya Allah Ya Wadud

Christianity

"The Christ spirit cannot be explained in words.
The belief in Christ is in the Church, the book of Christ is with the clergy, but the spirit of Christ is in the illuminated soul.
The spirit of Christ can be traced in Christ's own words where he said, " I am Alpha and Omega", I am the first and the last.
I was before Jesus was born, and I shall be after Jesus has gone. The soul who realized the truth even before he claimed to be Alpha and Omega, is Christ."

Judaism

"It is the annihilation of the false self which gives rise to the true self; once this is done, from that moment man approaches closer and closer to God, until he stands face to face with his divine ideal, with which he can communicate at every moment of his life.
The law of God is endless, as limitless as God Himself, but once the eye of the seeker penetrates through the veil which hangs before him, hiding from his eye the real law of life, the mystery of the whole of life becomes manifest to him, and happiness and peace become his own, for they are the birthright of every soul."

Hinduism

"The Hindu's have always known this philosophy of freedom of action, for the reason that they had a perfect religion, a religion on which one aspect of God was characterized as human, and their various Deva's are nothing but various characteristics of human nature, each of them adored and worshipped.
In this way not only God, but the whole human nature in all its aspects was adorned and worshipped.
It is that which makes the Hindu religion perfect."

Islam

"The whole tendency of Islam has been to disentangle man's heart from such thoughts to limit and divide God, and to clear man's heart from duality which is the nature of this illusory world, bringing him to that at-one-ment with Allah which has been the real aim and intention of every religion."
The heart of man which is the shrine of God, once purified of the poison of prejudice, hatred or bitterness, becomes the holy abode where God Himself resides."

Buddhism

"Buddha has been known to those who have understood his message rightly, as a man who attained the realisation of that essence of reason which is the fulfilment of life's purpose.
Buddh is the inner source of light which enables man to see life clearly, both inwardly and outwardly.
The true aim of the disciples of Buddha has been not only to adhere to Buddha, to his name or his ideal, but by taking Buddha as an exemple. some day to become Buddha."

Zoroastrian

"The way of worship taught by Zarathustra is to worship God by offering homage to the nature. For nature suggests to the soul the endless and unlimited Being hidden behind it all.
They keep a constandly burning fire in their place of worship, but they keep it before them when thinking of God, for fire purifies all things and the light within purifies all souls."

Misc.

"Another aspect of religion is the sacred shrines,
the importance that one attaches to the church
or priest or clergyman or to a certain house of prayer,
to the temple, pagoda, mosque or synagogue.
For the Sufi, it is not the place that is holy,
but it is our faith that makes it so;
and if a person has faith that this place,
this synagogue, temple or church is holy,
he will be benefited by it.
But, at the same time, the holiness is not in the house,
the holiness is in his own belief.
Yes, according to the external customs
of the different religions, one goes to Church,
one to the Mosque, one to the Synagogue,
and one to the Temple of Buddha;
but the inner Church is neither in the Mosque
nor in the Synagogue, but in the heart of man,
where God abides and which is the habitation of Christ."

"Progress is Life; Standing still is Death."

"The secret of life is balance, and the absence of balance is life's destruction."

"Those who believe in God, they are on earth and God is in heaven. Those who love God, He is before them."

"What is called sympathy, kindness, mercy, goodness, pity, compassion, gentleness, humanity, appreciation, gratefulness, service, -- in reality it is love."

"All life comes from one source which is the very life of all things, and not only life but intelligence also; that is what religion calls: GOD. Whatever we call it, it is the same. The difference is only in the name."

"The ignorant believer, by his claim of BELIEF, causes a revolt in an intelligent person, thereby turning him into an unbeliever. Parents think nowadays that by giving the children the belief that has been held in the family, they make them narrow, yet at the same time have no substitute, no belief and it is very difficult to believe later on."

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: Zahid]
    #2618776 - 04/29/04 09:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Post History Deleted Upon User's Request

InvisibleNariusFractal
Sat Chit Ananda
 User Gallery

Loc: USA
    #2619058 - 04/29/04 10:18 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

"What is called sympathy, kindness, mercy, goodness, pity, compassion, gentleness, humanity, appreciation, gratefulness, service, -- in reality it is love."

it could be argued these qualities are in opposition to the qualities a man should have in order to survive (spread his genes) in this certain cultural context in which we live today. (america)

If love is the antecedant to survival, then what of it?

--------------------
You are the microcosm of the macrocosm.

OfflineZahid
Stranger
Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: NariusFractal]
    #2619066 - 04/29/04 10:21 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What? I mean... please elaborate. :smile:

--------------------

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Loc: non-local
    #2619511 - 04/30/04 12:08 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hazrat Inayat Khan changed my life. His writings touched me in a way that no spiritual writings ever did because they transcend religion and culture. In my mind, he was truly destined to bridge the gaps between faiths and demonstrate that spirituality is universal. A truly beautiful, beautiful human being. I'm so glad you brought his name to light, Zahid. :smile:

It's funny because of some unexpected expenses this month, I have been unable to pay my storage locker fee. As a result, my items there are locked down. Among them are microwave ovens, video tapes, books, a television, etc. But I would refuse ALL of them for only one book: The Inner Life by Hazrat Inayat Khan.

Every major religion has an outer core of form and ritual (for the straights) as well as a hidden inner core of spirit. This is for those who would rather experience the divine rather than settle for faith in Him. The inner core is known as mysticism. It transcends religion. The mystic branch of Islam is called Sufism.

This man taught me that it doesn't matter whether the person next to you calls himself this or that, or wears a funny hat, if he comes from a place of universal love he is one of us no matter what name he goes by or whatever rituals he may employ.

It would have been an honor to meet him. Love, love, LOVE that man and his message.  :heartpump: :heartpump:

--------------------
I AM what Willis was talkin' bout.

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: Jellric]
    #2620233 - 04/30/04 06:22 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

pir vilayat inayat khan and his group are still carrying on the tradtion at the abode of the message in new york...
www.sufiorder.org
salaam

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #2622947 - 04/30/04 06:08 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Dude! Where ya been? Can't do zikr myself - intense motion sickness problem. I met Pir Vilayat at Saint John's Cathedral in NYC back in the mid 1970's. In fact, I have a small stained-glass reproduction of the Rose Window hanging in my living room windw as a reminder of that event (there were some other notables there like Swami Satchidananda). I still have a terrific book (gnrm23 would remember) called 'Toward the One,' which was published by the Chisti Order of Sufis, and from which I learned about many things and many correlations between faiths. Perhaps the most memorable was the 'Dichotomies of our Major Pathfinders' which described two opposite movements or directions, symbolized by the Way of Buddha and the Way of Christ - a brilliant explication which I've never forgotten.
Salaam Aleichem.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

Offlinegnrm23
Carpal Tunnel
Loc: n. e. OH, USSA
Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2625314 - 05/01/04 09:51 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

ya markos yo...
toward the one (same art group (steven durkee/lama foundation @ taos NM) that did BE HERE NOW did _toward the one_ )
i still have the wall poster/winged heart prayer from the book, but the book itself has ummmmmm vanished into booklimbo ...

saw pir vilayat a couple of times when he used to come to the unity church over on cleveland's west side back in the 70s... excellent sessions, friends...

we ususally have some sufi-initiated folks at starwood festival to lead dances for universal peace, chanting, etc. for those who are interested...

(it would be nice to get somebody from the abode over at new lebanon NY, but i suspect that the rampant pagan aspect of much of the festival would put them off, hehheh... but ya never know...)

hey, the sufi order in the west purchased the land (for the abode of the message) from the last surviving shaker group --- when they met, they were all pleasantly surprised that the "ritual greeting" (hands crossed over the heart, opening into an embrace) for each group just happened to be indentical...

--------------------
old enough to know better
not old enough to care

OfflineLux
    #2625553 - 05/01/04 10:43 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

What a beautiful spirit to bring out the essence of all these religions. Too bad the majority of the world chooses to focus on the ego which has been instilled in these religions.

Offlinecosmicchic
    #2625822 - 05/01/04 12:09 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Zahid!

That was some beautiful stuff. Can you elaborate for us your personal opinions on how such beautiful teachings coming out the middle east like this give rise to conflicts such as the Palastinian - Israli one? When do you think the wisdom in the above will overcome that region and peace will be restored. ( I realize american is in its out sort of inner conflict if you will- a silent inner war) What do you think it will take? Do you think the americans being there are making things better or worse?

No doubt, a lot of us here on this side of globe have a hard time understanding all the conflict in the middle east. If you were sent as a delegate for peace to that region- how would you mediate?

I think your words on this would be an inspiration and could apply to every day conflicts here as well.

Thanks for sharing the above.

Love,
Cindy

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: gnrm23]
    #2626388 - 05/01/04 02:39 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah man! My poster is still folded neatly in the book. It used to hang in the bedroom of the house I grew up in. I went to BN.com to seek a copy of 'Seed,' but the one with ALL of the cards was overpriced. Are we caught in a time-loop from which we cannot emerge? I still have two $3.33 first edition BE HERE NOW copies - one in the study next to Toward the One, the other on a table in the meditation room. I think BHN is my version of Citizen Kane's 'Rosebud.' Peace an' Love.

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: ]
    #2626680 - 05/01/04 03:38 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

A quote from Hazrat Inayat Khan:

"The Sufi Message does not call a person away from a belief or church; it calls one to live it. "

A little info on his cosmology:

Another key element in Inayat Khan's vision is his belief that an ongoing evolution is the primary process in the universe. In his view, the divine was enfolded into matter when the physical universe was created. Over the millions of years matter has evolved back toward divinity. Humans are the most evolved beings with a material aspect on this planet. The attainment of God-realization by human beings is the fulfillment of the stage of evolution in which human beings are actors. Evolution is a dual process of unfolding, as a species evolves as a whole through the actualization of involved higher potentials within individual members of that species. Now human beings are striving to unfold their inherent divinity both as individuals and as the cutting edge of the evolutionary movement on this planet.

A couple of Hazrat Inayat Khan links:

http://www.halcyon.com/comvis/khan.html
http://www.sufiorder.org/roots.html

--------------------

Offlinecosmicchic
Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: MarkostheGnostic]
    #2626873 - 05/01/04 04:49 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

I'm in total resonance with that Jelric. Thanks for adding it. This guy had it going on! Share more if ya got it!

I would've bolded the part about humans being the most evolved with a material aspect. That is key for people to realize who are down on the human race. We've been taken dense matter infused with Divine consciousness and have been raising the vibration of the matter itself to yet appear physical yet- over time the density lessons and allows for a more expansive experience of the whole Divine self through a physical form.

This is huge and is why those from all over the cosmos are lining up to get in on this or are in the least observing our quantum leaps in matter to learn from US.

Love,
Cindy

OfflineLux
Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: cosmicchic]
    #2626898 - 05/01/04 04:58 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Haha, man your path sure seems to focus on the 'how' of things. I'm no one to say if it's true or not, and I don't care to. As long as the underlying truth is there that's all that matters, which is what I really like about this guy. You can see in his writing that he is a man who's faced his guardian as you put it in another thread.

Offlinecosmicchic
Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: Lux]
    #2626962 - 05/01/04 05:27 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

he he- yes- I'm all nuts and bolts, some may think I'm just nuts. :nut: 
Let me rephrase all of this. I like understanding how things work from behind the scenes. I love quantum mechanics. Get me under the hood, behind the curtain, energy all the way! What shapes it and moves it!

Before HOW comes what where why and when. When you get the what where why and when down- then you can get to the how.

The guardian indeed. When is someone going to invent an ego disolving spray or something?

Does anyone every use this smiley? It's so funny. :penis:

Love,
cindy

OfflineLux
    #2626978 - 05/01/04 05:37 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

That seems to be the one big difference between you and I. Not that it's a bad thing.

Hahaha, yeah I just saw that for the first time earlier today. :penis:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

#2627042 - 05/01/04 06:28 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

A couple more excepts from his writings:

'The laws given to humanity are given by those far from such laws, the Elder Ones. As for children, certain laws, certain rules are necessary, so those who have not yet evolved to look at life from the higher point of view are fixed under certain laws which are taught to them as religion; and these are as necessary for mankind as the rules given to the children in the home. If there were no rules given, the children would become unruly; but when the children become grown-up, then they begin to see for themselves the reason why rules were given to them and the benefit that these rules were to them; then they can make such rules for themselves as suit them best.'

'The tolerance of the mystic is different. The people of a certain nation, race or religion may say, "In Jesus Christ, we see the Lord." Under that name, they recognize their ideal. People of other countries have seen their divine ideal in Buddha. For their consolation and in support of their ideal, they can all find in history the name of someone who has once existed. The Muslim says that Mohammad is the object of his worship, the Hindu says Krishna. As long as they have not realized the spirit of their ideal, then they will dispute, quarrel, and fight. They will say, "My teacher is great," "Mine is greater still." But they do not see that it is one and the same spirit, manifesting in greater excellence. We exalt the teacher to the extent that we have understood him, but we do not exalt him enough if we call him by a certain name and thus limit him to a certain part of the world. However, when we see the unlimited we can call him by all names and say, "You are Krishna, you are Christ, and you are Buddha," just as the loving mother can call her child, "my prince." She can give the most beautiful names to her child.'

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
    #2627255 - 05/02/04 06:24 AM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Very interesting and provacative stuff!

I was in one of my more cosmic states of mind last night, and was reading this while listening to TOOL's Reflection, which is a song that has a lot of meaning to me, I had quite the experience with it during a great trip... anyways, the point being, I was really in touch with some higher stuff, and this stuff here really helped! :wink:

The endless and unlimited being indeed! :laugh:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

InvisibleJellric
altered statesman

Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: fireworks_god]
    #2627983 - 05/02/04 12:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Hazrat Inayat Khan's writings, including entire books, are online at the link below.
Enjoy.  :smile:

http://www.rosanna.com/message/

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Hazrat Pir-O-Murshid Inayat Khan and World Religions [Re: Jellric]
    #2628146 - 05/02/04 01:55 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Haha, kick ass, I bookmarked it. I read some of it, really sweet stuff! :thumbup:

Thanks! :wink:

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang:
Peace. :mushroom2:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds