Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepoisoned
untitled
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Yurop
Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Robert Bobsky]
    #26631212 - 04/27/20 02:29 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Robert Bobsky said:
Quote:

MrMong said:

How much did this set you back in total?

where are you located? USA? EU? It makes some difference.
I recently bought all my components here in EU and can provide links if you want.

I'd be glad!

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: poisoned] * 1
    #26631492 - 04/27/20 06:18 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Im from the UK.  Costs and all are in the OP

Offlinepoisoned
untitled

Loc: Yurop
Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Edmunter]
    #26631515 - 04/27/20 06:37 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Edmunter said:
Im from the UK.  Costs and all are in the OP

That's not EU  :crazy2:

Anyways, thanks for pointing it out!

--------------------
How I do glass dishes

OfflinePinkStormtrooper
Jet-Puffed

Loc: 10001110101 Flag
Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: poisoned] * 1
    #26631761 - 04/27/20 09:10 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

3 pages and no one asked him why he has a wooden doinker up on the shelf ..  . wheres the TEK on that mate :P

--------------------
"say, you got a little astroglide on your moustache"

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: PinkStormtrooper]
    #26631874 - 04/27/20 10:15 AM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

PinkStormtrooper said:
3 pages and no one asked him why he has a wooden doinker up on the shelf ..  . wheres the TEK on that mate :P

It for hanging my extension cables

OfflineMrMong

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Edmunter] * 1
    #26632201 - 04/27/20 01:38 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

I'm from UK, complete noob to the contruction of a FH thus not clued up on shopping for HEPA filters/fans - so would essentially like to copy someones shopping list :laugh:.

I could probably stretch to spending £300-350 on the filter, pre-filter, fan and fan controller.

Not sure if I'm being blind but can only see the fan controller and an estimate of £150-300 for the cost of the filter in the OP. I need to register on j filters to see the exact price.

Managed to find the RVK 250 E2-L1 for £82.

How much was the pre filter?

Also nice wooden doinker

--------------------
Flick and Nip

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: MrMong] * 1
    #26632306 - 04/27/20 02:34 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Filter was £230 and pre filter £3  Controller was £30 odd and wood was £20 odd.

Fan was 100+

OfflineGrungeman17
Male

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Edmunter]
    #26632402 - 04/27/20 03:27 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

This might not help anyone over in the uk, but I got the drop on blowers for 100 flat that will not need a controller. They lower the life of fans extremely. The company I found put there data on front st and is very fair priced. The biggest being that they claimed their fan would withstand pressure drops unlike conventional units and that the fan curves were accurate.

Im trying to help people streamline these builds as much as possibly. Findi g a filter was headache enough than to after sift through and alter more expensive blowers.
Good build and god speed.

--------------------

OfflineSmoothcat
Renegade-master
 User Gallery

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: MrMong]
    #26632532 - 04/27/20 04:33 PM (3 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

MrMong said:
I'm from UK, complete noob to the contruction of a FH thus not clued up on shopping for HEPA filters/fans - so would essentially like to copy someones shopping list :laugh:.

I could probably stretch to spending £300-350 on the filter, pre-filter, fan and fan controller.

Not sure if I'm being blind but can only see the fan controller and an estimate of £150-300 for the cost of the filter in the OP. I need to register on j filters to see the exact price.

Managed to find the RVK 250 E2-L1 for £82.

How much was the pre filter?

Also nice wooden doinker

Mate, I’m in the Uk and I built this exact hood to the tee, all the info you need is in the thread and looks like Ed’s answered your questions. Stick to this design mate you can’t go wrong :thumbup:

Also yes register with jfilters, keep looking at the site as occasionally they’ll bang a 20% off deal and I managed to wangle one of those.

--------------------
Back once again with the ill behaviour

Links I like

InvisibleKimble
Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Smoothcat]
    #26705834 - 05/29/20 09:33 PM (3 years, 9 months ago)

✌️ :derp:

Getting sawdust in your freshly squeezed caulking is annoying. Getting everything lined up was a challenge for me with little to no skills or budget but hey... It works! Thanks for leading the path guys.

--------------------

Edited by Kimble (05/30/20 12:18 AM)

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Kimble] * 1
    #26706130 - 05/30/20 12:32 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kimble said:
✌️ :derp:

Getting sawdust in your freshly squeezed caulking is annoying. Getting everything lined up was a challenge for me with little to no skills or budget but hey... It works! Thanks for leading the path guys.

You will be so happy, its changed everything

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

#26706133 - 05/30/20 12:36 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Also a good test for the flow is if you stand in front, put 1 hand on your upper chest and spray iso across the top of the hood, if you feel the spray on your hand your controller is at the right speed.  Mine is set just ove a 3rd on at the moment.  Im thinking that over the years it will increase gradually.

InvisibleKimble
Idiot
 User Gallery

#26706175 - 05/30/20 01:15 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks. I noticed that the triac has an adjustment for minimum speed which is cool.

Thanks again Ed. I was struggling to find a good paring and this was just the ticket. You had the gumption to go out and find something that worked and shared it with the community. You've really helped us this side of the drink.
Tres bon!
✌️

For the record i used the 68mm version of the filter. UltimaMP68. Not from Jsun but i assume it's the same manufacturers.

--------------------

InvisibleRobert Bobsky
The Perfect Stranger

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Kimble]
    #26706186 - 05/30/20 01:24 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Kimble said:
Thanks. I noticed that the triac has an adjustment for minimum speed which is cool.

Thanks again Ed. I was struggling to find a good paring and this was just the ticket. You had the gumption to go out and find something that worked and shared it with the community. You've really helped us this side of the drink.
Tres bon!
✌️

For the record i used the 68mm version of the filter. UltimaMP68. Not from Jsun but i assume it's the same manufacturers.

Hi Kimble, sorry if you pointed this out elsewhere but where did you get your blower? I suspect mine is not putting out enough juice at maximum speed and I'm located in EU as well.
(a link to the actual model would be great)

Thank you

--------------------
BoB Bobsky

InvisibleRobert Bobsky
The Perfect Stranger

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Robert Bobsky] * 1
    #26706189 - 05/30/20 01:27 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Hello, just finished building my first Flow Hood.

Here are a couple of pictures of a lighter held in front of it, it seems to me that the flow is a bit weak but I've never used a FH before so I'm not sure what to expect.
It bends between 30 and 45 deg ...
Yesterday I ran the FH for one hour and then opened an MEA petri in front of it for 10 minutes.. we'll see what happens. I really hope the blower is putting out enough juice..

What do you think?

Thanks!

--------------------
BoB Bobsky

InvisibleKimble
Idiot
 User Gallery

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Robert Bobsky]
    #26706197 - 05/30/20 01:42 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Lo Bob.

The model is rvk250E2L. The same one Ed posted in the OP. 🤙 https://www.lamota.org/en/rvk-250-e2/
Your flame looks great there. I don't think you need a lot of force behind the flow but experiment is king.
Looks like you are already there!

--------------------

Edited by Kimble (05/30/20 01:57 AM)

InvisibleRobert Bobsky
The Perfect Stranger

Re: Edmunters everything Flow Hood. How to plan and build a laminar flow hood. (moved) [Re: Kimble] * 1
    #26706212 - 05/30/20 02:02 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

thank you Kimble, it is very reassuring.
To be honest I was expecting the blower that I bought to push a lot more air.
The filter I got is a Jfilter (610x457mm) that has a Pa100 and supposedly needs 457m3/H pushd through it to create 0.45m/s flow.

I looked around for blowers and found one with stated flow of 1200m3/h that didn't have any mention of pressure but looking at other blowers online (in US) I noticed that all the blowers rated at around 1000m3/h with no load could deliver easily 450m3/h over 100Pa so I pulled the trigger on the one I have.

Now I'm a bit disappointed by its lack of push, see I thought that I would buy it a bit overpowered and buy a speed regulator so that I could raise the speed in the future if the filter got a bit clogged but the regulator is at maximum speed and I get this..

Anyway I guess I'll just wait to see the open Petri dish test result.

BTW how long shall I wait before I call the open Petri dish test result successful?

Thanks

--------------------
BoB Bobsky

InvisibleKimble
Idiot
 User Gallery

#26706269 - 05/30/20 02:46 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Robert Bobsky said:
thank you Kimble, it is very reassuring.
To be honest I was expecting the blower that I bought to push a lot more air.
The filter I got is a Jfilter (610x457mm) that has a Pa100 and supposedly needs 457m3/H pushd through it to create 0.45m/s flow.

I looked around for blowers and found one with stated flow of 1200m3/h that didn't have any mention of pressure but looking at other blowers online (in US) I noticed that all the blowers rated at around 1000m3/h with no load could deliver easily 450m3/h over 100Pa so I pulled the trigger on the one I have.

Now I'm a bit disappointed by its lack of push, see I thought that I would buy it a bit overpowered and buy a speed regulator so that I could raise the speed in the future if the filter got a bit clogged but the regulator is at maximum speed and I get this..

Anyway I guess I'll just wait to see the open Petri dish test result.

BTW how long shall I wait before I call the open Petri dish test result successful?

Thanks

To be fair, i was expecting my setup to push a little harder than it does. But i don't know why i felt that way. Assumption i guess?
It is a big surface area. :shrug: There's plenty of headroom on the dial though so I'm not worried. I'm betting your setup works just great.
I'd normally see contamination a week or less on agar. So I'd say a week?

--------------------

OfflineEdmunter
Mr
Male User Gallery

#26706278 - 05/30/20 02:51 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Ha ha the same thing I was expecting to dry my hair when working.  100 ft per second isnt allot at all. I think mine is closer to 200 and I can hardly feel it.  Im probably not getting true laminar flow but I get enough sterile air pumped out to bodge my shit together with very high success rates.

InvisibleRobert Bobsky
The Perfect Stranger

#26706491 - 05/30/20 06:15 AM (3 years, 9 months ago)

Thank you!

BTW I found a good deal for a blower similar to yours so if push comes to shove I'll just get that..

One more question!

I have a Ultima MPW78 HEPA filter from Jasun (jfilters) as well and now I'm wondering if there might be a difference in performance changing the orientation of the filter.
I mean mine didn't come with arrows or anything to indicate intake of air but one side had a rubber gasket and I figured that was the side meant to be facing the blower... I wonder if that is correct and if it is in any way affecting the performance of the filter....

--------------------
BoB Bobsky

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom