Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineLearyfanS
It's the psychedelic movement!
Male User Gallery

Loc: High pride!
Best router/modem * 1
    #26187580 - 09/14/19 08:11 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I have internet through Comcast and TV through Hulu (live).  I want to lower my internet bill through Comcast, so I'm going to buy my own router and modem so that I'm not renting theirs. 

What's the best one to get?  Comcast suggested that I get a router and modem in one, but I see some websites say to get them separately.  I don't know what to do.  Thank you!

:shrug:

--------------------
--------------------------------

Mp3 of the month:  Sons Of Adam - Feathered Fish

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Re: Best router/modem [Re: Learyfan] * 1
    #26191741 - 09/16/19 12:54 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I prefer the separate router/modem set up myself. Basically the modems are pretty standard in my knowledge. The routers however have different ranges and performance specs. Basically, if the router costs a lot, its likely really fast. Definitely a price-performance correlation with routers. Check all the specs to make sure all the features match with your set-up (for example, some routers do not have ethernet ports).

Currently I use Netgear and it works great. Its like a 5 year old router. No complaints.

CNET is my go-to when I want to learn more about a specific router Im interested in. They editors typically review the most expensive/popular ones and the mid-tier ones too. Very helpful in my experience.

OfflineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: Best router/modem [Re: Learyfan] * 2
    #26193968 - 09/17/19 02:01 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

The "best" always depends on your requirement. What speed is your internet plan? How big is your home? Have you noticed any problems or inconveniences with your current setup? When you check https://www.speedtest.net/ from the typical locations where you use your devices, is it close to what you're paying for?

Offlinemaniac1886
Stranger
Loc: United States
Re: Best router/modem [Re: Ythan] * 2
    #26194024 - 09/17/19 02:31 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I would definitely go separate. I recently made the switch as well for cost savings as well as having added control over my network (IT guy).  Almost any wireless router you buy will have more functionality than the Comcast shit.  I already had a router that I had purchased before Comcast started shipping gateways (modem router combo box they give you).  I paid like $350 for it then and it's still an excellent device now, almost 10 years later.  I purchased a cable modem from Walmart, I think it was $80/$90 and connected my already owned router.  If you are going to go that way I would recommend netgear also and probably look at spending at least $100 on it.  That's a $200 up front cost but pays for itself if you keep service for a year.  I've had Comcast for almost a decade now and when crunching the numbers of what I've paid through those years in lease fees, the switch was a no brainer.

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Best router/modem [Re: maniac1886] * 1
    #26218056 - 09/29/19 10:33 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you guys for your replies.  I've been busy, so I haven't replied, but I've been thinking about what you've all said.  Let me reply to Ythan first. 

Quote:

Ythan said:
The "best" always depends on your requirement. What speed is your internet plan? How big is your home? Have you noticed any problems or inconveniences with your current setup? When you check https://www.speedtest.net/ from the typical locations where you use your devices, is it close to what you're paying for?

Okay, I can't seem to find anything that shows what I'm paying for, but I think it's around 100MBPS.  That speed test link shows 85.42.  So I don't think I'm getting what I pay for.  My home isn't all that big, but I want wifi on this floor as well as upstairs. 

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Currently I use Netgear and it works great. Its like a 5 year old router. No complaints.

I'm thinking about going with NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700) - AC1750 just because it's one of the top choices on Amazon when you filter results by average customer review.  What do you guys think of that?  I checked CNET like you said and it's helpful, but I still didn't know which, if any, to get.  One of the ones they glowed about got terrible reviews on Amazon. 

Quote:

maniac1886 said:
If you are going to go that way I would recommend netgear also and probably look at spending at least $100 on it.  That's a $200 up front cost but pays for itself if you keep service for a year.  I've had Comcast for almost a decade now and when crunching the numbers of what I've paid through those years in lease fees, the switch was a no brainer.

Yeah, definitely going separate and I'm leaning toward Netgear. 

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26218145 - 09/29/19 11:04 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

The Nighthawk is one of the best routers out right now. I would say its definitely a good choice, abeit pretty spendy thou.

Heres a list of the Best Routers review by CNET: https://www.cnet.com/topics/networking/best-networking-devices/

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Best router/modem [Re: LogicaL Chaos]
    #26218401 - 09/29/19 12:31 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Yeah, I saw that page you just linked there.  The Netgear that they talk about (Netgear Nighthawk Pro Gaming XR500) is $248 on Amazon.  I will be using my router for gaming, but I'm not a big time gamer.  I play GTA on PS4, but I'm not really serious about it.  I'm wondering if that one is overkill or if I should go with the top average review pick on Amazon (NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700) - AC1750) for $86? 

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26218427 - 09/29/19 12:44 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I would say the NETGEAR Nighthawk Smart WiFi Router (R6700) is still a great choice for sure :thumbup:

OfflineLearyfanS
Male User Gallery

Re: Best router/modem [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #26227968 - 10/03/19 05:58 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Thank you sir!  And what do you think about this modem?

--------------------

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #26228845 - 10/04/19 04:38 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Oh yeah, definitely a legit and up to date modem!

Nice cartoon by the way :lol:

That reminds me i gotta get a modem too. Ive been paying rental fees for way too long.

InvisibleAlienSapien
Stranger

Re: Best router/modem [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #26229549 - 10/04/19 12:48 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

OfflineFungiMaster
Entrepreneur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay Area, CA, USA Flag
Re: Best router/modem [Re: AlienSapien] * 2
    #26293730 - 11/02/19 09:12 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Yah computer parts for home networking are pretty standard. Motorola makes a decent cable modem but you can check out amazon or Best Buy for deals. Or pick up used gear from eBay or Craigslist as long as its docsis 2 or 3 for the cable modem and for the router make sure it's at least 802.11 G or N.

--------------------

https://tinyurl.com/wjuxagb

OfflineMitchie23
Stranger
Female
Re: Best router/modem [Re: FungiMaster] * 1
    #26304797 - 11/07/19 11:13 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Basic things to consider are security, the stability of the connection, hardware durability, Speed, warranty, and support. Of course, it really depends on the budget. My best bet is NETGEAR Nighthawk X10 followed by Linksys WRT AC3200. Check this review out - https://thewiredshopper.com/best-wireless-routers/

OfflineFungiMaster
Entrepreneur
Male User Gallery

Loc: Bay Area, CA, USA Flag
Re: Best router/modem [Re: Mitchie23] * 1
    #26338609 - 11/22/19 05:13 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

If you want a challenge get a Mikrotik hahah cheap but decent hardware from Latvia.

--------------------

https://tinyurl.com/wjuxagb

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder