Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Emotional breakthroughs during psychedelic[s] linked to future increases in mental well-being * 2
    #26175033 - 09/07/19 11:26 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

New research highlights the importance of emotional breakthroughs on subsequent psychological outcomes after a psychedelic experience. The study, which was published in the Journal of Psychopharmacology, sheds new light on the psychological mechanisms behind psychedelic-assisted therapy.

“Most of the papers that discuss current psychedelic therapy mention the mystical-type or peak experience as a mediator of the long term clinical changes,” explained Leor Roseman, the corresponding author of the study and a postdoctoral researcher at the Centre for Psychedelic Research at Imperial College London.

“However, in practice, and based on qualitative research, it is known that there are other important mediators. One of them are moments of emotional catharsis within a psychedelic session.”

“I wanted to quantify these moments in order to increase our knowledge on the psychological mechanism that leads to long term changes and to broaden the narrative from mystical-type experiences to other experiences as well,” Roseman said.

The researchers recruited 379 participants via internet advertisements, who agreed to complete online surveys before and after a planned psychedelic experience.

Prior to taking the psychedelic drug, the participants completed questionnaires to assess demographic information, their intentions for the psychedelic experience, and general mental wellbeing. After the experience, the participants completed the new Emotional Breakthrough Inventory, along with the Mystical Experience Questionnaire and Challenging Experience Questionnaire.

The Emotional Breakthrough Inventory assesses the psychedelic experience with questions such as “I faced emotionally difficult feelings that I usually push aside” and “I was able to get a sense of closure on an emotional problem.”

In contrast, the Mystical Experience Questionnaire assesses experiences of oneness and loss of time/space, while the Challenging Experience Questionnaire assesses feelings of isolation, physical distress, anxiousness, paranoid, and similar experiences.

Long-term outcomes were then measured two weeks after the experience.

The researchers found that emotional breakthrough was positively associated with post-psychedelic increases in mental well-being. In other words, people who scored higher on the Emotional Breakthrough Inventory tended to have greater increases in well-being two weeks later.

Mystical Experience Questionnaire scores also predicted increases in well-being, while those who reported more challenging experiences tended to see smaller increases.

But the three scales did not appear to be redundant. Rather, “a multi-factorial predictor model that combines all three measures performs better than any alternative that neglects any one of them,” the researchers wrote in their study.

“The average person should take from this study the idea that the quality of the psychedelic experience is related to long term changes,” Roseman told PsyPost.

“That is to say, that the therapeutic potential of psychedelics is not solely pharmacological like other medications, but it supports the emergences of psychological transformative processes, that can lead to long term changes if integrated well. The focus here on emotional breakthrough suggests that confronting difficult emotions and allowing their expression within the session is a healthy process.”

“Besides mystical-type experiences and emotional breakthrough, there are other experiences that mediate long term changes, such as cognitive insights, the connection with the therapists, and so on,” Roseman added.

“These are not quantified yet, and it is good to know that psychedelic therapy is not just about peak or cathartic experiences (the ones that are quantified), but it is much broader than this and can be quite unexpected sometimes.”

The study, “Emotional breakthrough and psychedelics: Validation of the Emotional Breakthrough Inventory“, was authored by Leor Roseman, Eline Haijen, Kelvin Idialu-Ikato, Mendel Kaelen, Rosalind Watts, and Robin Carhart-Harris.

https://www.psypost.org/2019/09/emotional-breakthroughs-during-psychedelic-experiences-linked-to-future-increases-in-mental-well-being-54399

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Emotional breakthroughs during psychedelic[s] linked to future increases in mental well-being [Re: morrowasted]
    #26176298 - 09/08/19 04:17 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I guess I'll have to try experimenting with creating different kinds of emotions while tripping. Maybe through movies?

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Emotional breakthroughs during psychedelic[s] linked to future increases in mental well-being [Re: nooneman]
    #26177046 - 09/09/19 02:48 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Maybe just through the psychedelic itself. Especially if its LSD

DMT is kinda moodless IMO but, it takes you through a slice of life as i call it (no, not like Dexter, lol), and i consider lsd to do the same thing, just much more slowly and for a longer time, and while being able to somewhat function. Basically i think oral psychedelics may do a better job, though DMT is like fear in, peace out. Psilo too. And maybe any "base" tryptamine (NN-XXT, or 4ho-xxt)

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

Invisiblenooneman
Male

Loc: Utah
Re: Emotional breakthroughs during psychedelic[s] linked to future increases in mental well-being [Re: Fractal420]
    #26178759 - 09/09/19 10:28 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Fractal420 said:
Maybe just through the psychedelic itself. Especially if its LSD

Sure, but the key question is how do you get to the desired state? There are many ways of causing high emotions, for example you might look at an old collection of photos from when you were a child, or you might watch a hilariously funny movie, or you might play a very exciting game.

If you're searching for how to cause an emotional breakthrough while on psychedelics, there are tons of things you could try.

Therapy, for example, would probably be extremely effective.

OfflineFractal420
Psycellium
Male User Gallery

Re: Emotional breakthroughs during psychedelic[s] linked to future increases in mental well-being [Re: nooneman]
    #26178879 - 09/10/19 12:58 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

You do not get to Desired states. Thats the thing with psychedelics. They guide You, not the other way around

The only way you should "induce" a "breakthrough" is by dosing, but never more than what you think you can handle psychologically. But yeah that line "to fathom hell or soar angelic, take a pinch of psychedelic."

--------------------
Dreaming of That face again.
It's bright and blue and shimmering.
Grinning wide
And comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes.

Prying open MY third eye

OfflineKindOne
Explorer
 User Gallery

Re: Emotional breakthroughs during psychedelic[s] linked to future increases in mental well-being [Re: Fractal420] * 1
    #26200823 - 09/21/19 08:49 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I took part in this study. Here's the deal...

As someone who has taken Prozac for 28 years and suffered from depression longer than that, I have always looked for help. That's one reason I have survived. Whenever I would have a shotgun loaded and in my mouth, I would think, "Look, you can do this tomorrow. Think and try just a little harder." I'm proud of the strength I've had. Hell, I'm now 66.

So, I contacted the people running the COMPASS study (by email). They were very responsive and caring. They told me that they can only accept volunteers who are recommended by a doctor. I knew that that would not be a problem. My doctor would gladly help me with that.

Since I was now on the study mailing list, I read a qualification letter that they emailed me. It said that volunteers have to be between 18 and 65. Well, shit. I'm 66. So, while I could not be one of their volunteers, I could attend a retreat in Jamaica. They sent me all of the pre and post surveys and will include this feedback in their ongoing work.

After weening myself off of Prozac, I would have 6 weeks Prozac free prior to dosing. This was a very, very, VERY hard thing to do. Did I mention that I'm strong?

I showed up, with my wife who also participated. Two friendly facilitators met us at the Montego Bay airport to shuttle us to Treasure Beach. Hot as fucking hell, but the lodging and grounds were beautiful. Fortunately, the other attendees at this retreat were smart, caring people. The group dynamic, very caring staff, and gorgeous scenery were all I could ask for.

Still, there was me. Me and my broken brain. We struggled to make it this far. And while I was able to go into this experience with NO expectations (expectations are bad), I of course did have some hope. Hope that this experience would result in my mind resetting as I had read of those who had been in a John's Hopkins study. I had the playlist that the Hopkins study used. I was totally prepared.

I was now in a place where I have experienced facilitators, a safe environment, and no worry of police as I was not breaking any laws. We tripped Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday. I increased my dose each time. We got together as a group and discussed our experiences after each trip. I had a variety of experiences ranging from very emotional, to very high. I found that my most emotional, and therefore beneficial experience was at my smallest dose. The person in charge of the retreat - Eric - had told me that this would likely be the case. He recommended keeping my dose low, but I didn't listen. I should have.

My hopes were let down. Certainly not by the retreat, but by the way mushrooms work. After each trip, I experienced an extreme low. The kind of low I was all too familiar with. I knew that my depression was not "fixed." After returning from the retreat, I went back on Prozac.

But what I learned from this retreat is that I did benefit from the emotional journey that mushrooms afforded me. Mushrooms don't work like the John's Hopkins study lead me to believe. You can't take a single dose of psilocybin and poof, your depression is gone. What I do believe is that, over time, with small doses (more than micro-dosing, however) I can improve my mental health.

Sadly, and this really pisses me off, I will have to do this on my own and by breaking the very stupid and naïve laws that perceive psychedelics as bad. I could not believe that the loving, connected to nature, kindness that I was feeling from mushrooms was illegal in my home country. SO. STUPID.

I have read SO MUCH on this site. I have searched here for "depression" and found that I have some kindred spirits here. I wish all of you the very best.

Offlinemorrowasted
Worldwide Stepper
Male User Gallery

Loc: House of Mirrors
Re: Emotional breakthroughs during psychedelic[s] linked to future increases in mental well-being [Re: KindOne]
    #26208238 - 09/25/19 10:32 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Thanks for the thoughtful reply.

Tripping on shrooms doesn't make me any happier in the long run but I do feel better when I take a tiny microdose. Like 0.05g

OfflineKindOne
Explorer
 User Gallery

Re: Emotional breakthroughs during psychedelic[s] linked to future increases in mental well-being [Re: morrowasted]
    #26210417 - 09/26/19 08:53 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

Thank you, morrowasted. I hope to try that.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract