Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineTrippedOutChant
Stoned.
First time'r, what do you think of my setup?
    #2616292 - 04/29/04 03:08 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

No pictures yet...Once the spores arrive...

But let me know what you all think of this...

Ok i plan on growin 10 jars, the mix is going to be vermiculite, brown rice flour, and water....filed all the way up to the top of the jar except i'm leaving 3/4 inch and filling that space with vermiculite...I'mm going to have a variation of 2 and 4 germination holes on each jar to see which is more successful...I will be sterilizing by pressure cooker or steambath..whichever is more convenient at the time...then i'm putting down a damp layer of perlite in my plastic bin...and since i can't give it direct sunlight i am going to put a flourescent light there...

I'm going to be ordering my spore syringe from TLG. It says each syring is 12cc's full...although i read in the PF tek that i should only pump in .5 cc's to each jar....So i'll have like half a syringe left correct? how can i keep this fertile and useable? Also, what strain would you suggest a first time grower? I am intersted in potentcy basically...a nice yield would be nice also....

Also, does anyone know how i can have the light in there but keep it air tight so the moisture stays in keeping humidity up?

Thanks, and hello
Will be seeing this name a lot now :crazy2: :mushroom2: :headbang:

--------------------
Trippin mush, droppin cid.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Loc: Throughout the world
Re: First time'r, what do you think of my setup? [Re: TrippedOutChant]
    #2616362 - 04/29/04 03:19 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

#1 do 4 holes,2 will make your jars take longer.
#2 .5ccs per hole is better.with just 1/2 a cc colonization will take longer.plus how would you measure a 1/10th cc per hole,that would be next to impossable.
#3 if you order from TLG you also get the free strain of the month,so youll get 2 syringes.
#4 any cube is good,for your first grow i would stay away from any thai strains,they are a little more problematic.I fount Cambodians really good my first time.They produce nice,grow fast and fight off contams pretty good.Same with EQ,bnut they are all basicly the same to grow.
#5 I store my syringes in ziplock,then in a box in my fridge.They will stay viable for at least 6 months,ive used some 2 years later with good results.And it doesnt matter if they are used,as long as you resteralize the needle each time,they stay just as good as new ones.
#6 you dont need perlite untill after they are colonized for fruiting,and you wanna keep them in the dark untill then.
#7 you are confused about several things i suggest you read up a little more. Read this well:PF tek
#8 good luck

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

OfflineTrippedOutChant
Stoned.
Re: First time'r, what do you think of my setup? [Re: ButterNut]
    #2616394 - 04/29/04 03:26 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

Ok.....Yeh i was actually looking at Cambodians :smile:

Also, i have a humidifier, should i hook that up for like 10 minutes every 12 hours? or have some kind of humidifiying cycle incase it isn't staying humid?

Also, is having natural light or a flourescent bulb mandatory? or can they actually germinate ust sitting in the dark...newb :thumbdown:
Just planning and wanting to set my terranium up because i'll be ordering Saturday and i wanna have some stuff set up by then..

--------------------
Trippin mush, droppin cid.

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

#2616436 - 04/29/04 03:33 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

they are suppose to germinate in the dark.Reread my post.and follow that link and read the pf tek good it answers all your questions.Jars dont need humidity untill after they are birthed.So since you already have a humidifier,dont worry about that now,just read.You need to get the colonization stage down first.youll have plenty of time to worry about that while the jars are colonizing.It will be a couple weeks or more before you need a terraruim so i wouldnt set it up yet.your humidity may be fine,so why even think about it before you know if you have a problem.

--------------------
Butternut squash are softer than acorn or other types of squash, which makes them easier to cut and prepare.

InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
    #2616536 - 04/29/04 03:46 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

1. Chamber sounds good, may have some heat issues with the light in there.

2. Keep whats left of the syringe in the fridge. A good strain would be EQ, Mal, B+, GT. All are very good strains that can fruit well in a variety of conditions. In otherwords they are tolerant of fuckups now and then in temp and stuff.  :headbang:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleCitricM
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Post deleted by Anno [Re: TrippedOutChant]
    #2616690 - 04/29/04 04:06 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
Self Healing lid tek
Fast, easy, fool proof inoculation
Mini casing pictures: Pins to harvest
Cup O' Shrooms
Magash:  I noticed my contams were in the shape of fingers :whack:
Hyphae:  Yes  "Loss of moisture from the substrate"  is not a casing trigger.  :cuckoo:

My final Grow!

Offlineberto23
Stranger
Loc: NJ
Re: First time'r, what do you think of my setup? [Re: Citric]
    #2616874 - 04/29/04 04:35 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

if my jars are kept at around 65 degrees air temperature when windows are closed on cold NJ days on top of a heating pad on low or medium do you guys think they will colonize as quick as say 75-80 degree air temps?

or should i just wait for the nicer weather to be more consistent to start

--------------------
the shnozzberrys taste like shnozzberrys

InvisibleButterNut
Squash

Re: First time'r, what do you think of my setup? [Re: berto23]
    #2616971 - 04/29/04 04:50 PM (12 years, 8 months ago)

no they will take absolutly forever at 65 degrees and probably dry out and stall before they are done because they will take so long..The ideal temp is 86 degrees F.The closer you get them to that temp the faster they grow.

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation