Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinevertygo
Stranger
 User Gallery

Grey mold
    #26160994 - 08/30/19 03:14 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

So I have a few issues, would love some constructive feedback.

I'm trying things out in a brand new location, and the contamination issue is heavy.

1. Jars are getting colonized.. 40-60% and then just one or two grains go grey, and it's game over. They whole jar will be fucked in days. All jars have a 1/4" hole with 4 fresh layers of micropore tape. This occurs with both G2G and agar wedges.

Question: Could it be that the grains are too wet? The reason I ask, is because even tho I'm allowing the oats to steam dry, I don't think there's enough air flow and the whole place just gets humid probably hindering the evaporation process. I'll leave them for a few hours, I *thought* they were dry enough, but upon squeezing the oats they expel a wet goo. Is this a separate issue, or could endos or other contams be surviving the 2 hour PC'ing in these wet grains (I thought I'd have bacterial problems, not mold problems in that case). Can I leave them drying in this dirty environment for a few days, then PC them for better results?

2. Petris. When doing transfers.. once in awhile the petri dish will just erupt with grey colonies. Now all this work is done in a SAB that I've sprayed down, left for 45 mins, using gloves sprayed with iso. Flame sterilized knife between transfers, the whole shabang. My thoughts are either 1) The air is so damn dirty I need to run a hepa filter in the room then turn it off when I'm working. 2) opening a petri that may not SEEM contaminated is still throwing up a bunch of mold spores that are landing in the new transfer, even tho I'm trying to keep the lids cracked open for the wedge (not sure what the solution to that one is)

I've actually had some really great success in this location, but the contamination rate is just way too high.

Obviously it would be great to work elsewhere, but this is what I've got now. Would really love to work out some new ideas / methods and stop throwing out bad jars. Thank you.

--------------------
+++ Trade List +++

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale