Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblesakura
Aussie Expat

Loc: Japan
'wood lovers agar'
    #2615281 - 04/29/04 08:44 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Rush Wayne suggests adding 'wood pellets' (which presumably break down during sterilisation) to to a MYD agar mix...

I can't get the pellets here, but I do have some suitable rough sawdust I plan to use as substrate...  I was wondering if I could perhaps make a 'sawdust tea' (boil a cup or so for 1/2 an hour and save the liquid) as the liquid base for a wood lovers agar mix.

Also, I can't get malt (or yeast extract :frown: ), so I was planning on trying potato/dextrose (read table sugar) with some of my 'sawdust soup'...

Any suggestions?  (please keep in mind that I live in a country where I can't read the labels on anything to see if there are additives or not... :wink: )

--------------------
Shrooms aren't everyone's cup of tea... (Some folks just eat 'em)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinezeronio
Stranger
Male

Loc: Slovenia
Re: 'wood lovers agar' [Re: sakura]
    #2615356 - 04/29/04 09:15 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

You don't have to make a tea from sawdust - just put few grams of sawdust in the agar. That should work.
Dextrose is not the same as table sugar. It's good to add some simple sugars like dextrose, fructose or maltose in the agar. If you can't find anything like that use honey!

OfflinecharlieXxXxX
Stranger

Loc: Earth, USA, WI, Madison
    #2615970 - 04/29/04 11:36 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Yup the wood pellets are jus compressed sawdust.
When you pour hot water on them, they dissolve.

DFA - 1 litre water
20g agar
20g dry dog food

I would add the wood also.

Invisiblebrainbreath
perpetual newbie
Loc: down on the corner
Re: 'wood lovers agar' [Re: charlieXxXxX]
    #2616180 - 04/29/04 12:41 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

karo syrup is dextrose. I usually add a couple grams of whatever I'm going to grow on to my agar, wbs, sawdust, straw etc. The myc is then prepared for the substrate and colonization is sped up quite a bit.

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: 'wood lovers agar' [Re: brainbreath]
    #2616903 - 04/29/04 02:39 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

karo syrup is not dextrose. I believe it contains more fructose than dextrose, yes it is interchangeable, but no it is not dextrose. (pure)

InvisibleBi0TeK
elephant man

Loc: Yorkshire Moors, Great Br...
    #2617140 - 04/29/04 03:24 PM (19 years, 11 months ago)

Sucrose (table sugar) works fine as well. I've tried it with numerous species and had no problems.

--------------------
PROMOTE BACTERIA. THEY'RE THE ONLY CULTURE SOME PEOPLE HAVE.

OfflineMycena
mycoexplorer
Loc: indonesia
    #2655846 - 05/09/04 04:02 AM (19 years, 11 months ago)

The wood tea agar works very well at sorting what species will like your wood

Ive been testing woodlovers on eucalyptus sawdust and seen vast differences between the species and between isolates

For example the Pleurotus autralis (native) did very well, as did some shiitake strains, while others lagged. The lions mane didnt respond very well at all.
This corresponds to the effects ive been getting when trialling these species on supplemented Eucalptus sawdust blocks

I also had zero contamination on the Tea agar. The Eucalyptus phenols and oils seems to inhibit all the moulds and bacteria, of course it also inhibited many edible fungi
Im using a Eucalyptus species milled locally (there are hundreds of species) that they annoyingly just call 'hardwood'. But ive seen the forests it comes from and this is a very widespread species so i should be able to get the species name easily

anyway point to that is that not all eucalyps are equal. E globulus and E saligna (bluegums) work much better than Rivergum (E camaldulensis) . Stringybarks are also good (E marginata)for shiitake.
To find out all this would take years and years and lots of $ to get large volumes of sawdust shipped in from all over. Using Tea agar we can screen potential species much faster and more cheaply.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags