Home | Community | Message Board

NorthSpore.com BOOMR Bag!
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next > | Last >
InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Slushrooms] * 2
    #26134669 - 08/13/19 11:24 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Centrifugal blowers create a swirling air flow inside the plenum leading to uneven or non-laminar flow from the filter face if a baffle system is not employed inside the plenum.
All laminar flow Fan Filter Units which use those types of blowers have a baffle inside the plenum to prevent uneven flow.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Loc: The outsideround Flag
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: inski]
    #26134775 - 08/14/19 02:58 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

We all learning in here, why else would be be here :shrug:

I’m no expert either, though have read a few bits on the line/interweb.

I thought a squirrel blower was a centrifugal fan. . . They seem interchangeable in the US?

Inski, can you recommend a style of fan that supply’s the required pressure, and creates laminar flow? Of is it a a centrifugal fan with vanes/baffles to rectify?

I assumed that the 300mm thick HEPA provided enough back pressure to spread the air via the plenum to the entire filter, to supply laminar flow? Can you direct is to any resources that explain what you are talking about, and how to design around it?

According to a dodgy HVAC site, the calculations of a 2”x2” filter at 0.51m/s returns a reynolds number of 20645, well above the 2300 of laminar flow. . .

Aargh, Numbers. . .

Edited by Bobbit (08/14/19 03:56 AM)

OfflineHefee
Stranger
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Bobbit]
    #26134846 - 08/14/19 05:15 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Here is my LC for anyone interested in this, its Penis Envy Uncut (yes it got through customs!)

I also have about 5 agar dishes with this on it :laugh: and only like 50% of them have contaminations :')

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Hefee]
    #26136610 - 08/15/19 03:36 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Any more info Inski?

Most of the flow hood designs in here are about flow/pressure. Can you direct us to info on how to create a laminar flow from a filter and fan?

I assume that a baffle (attenuator?) slows the air down, thus making it less turbulent? More detail would be nice, unless laminar  flow isn’t really required, just filtered air?

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread

Official New Zealand woodlovers grow thread

–––––    ╭∩╮(-_-)╭∩╮    –––––
The Official Kiwi DMT and MAOI Thread

OfflineHefee
Stranger
    #26143789 - 08/19/19 11:50 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

seems finding a fan is very difficult, thought they would be easy, i was wrong.

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand Flag
    #26145143 - 08/20/19 05:57 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hefee said:
seems finding a fan is very difficult, thought they would be easy, i was wrong.

In the vein of hard to find things; seems like nowhere in Dunedin sells thermostats...

Managed to get hold of a cube print but they were not at all happy with the low temperatures here. Built myself a sweet incubator out of an old cabinet that was lying around.

A++ door handles:

The shelf was made from one of these that I chopped up and nailed into place.

The insulation used is two sheets of extruded polystyrene.

To heat it I have a five 5 watt nightlights. I would probably in future just buy a single, more powerful bulb, or use an aquarium heater off aliexpress to make a heat bomb. That'd be cheaper and easier. :shrug:

Since thermostats were apparently so hard to come by and I couldn't be bothered waiting for shipping, I just got a temperature controlled "timer". Works really well but for the price of bulbs + temperature control, you could just make a heat bomb, assuming it's enough to heat your incubator.

I lastly plonked in an old computer fan, hardwired to an old phone charger.

Finished product (plates are cubes and jar is semis on wheat):

Works an absolute treat. Sits consistently at 25C. Lights turn off when temperature is reached. Fan runs constantly to keep mixing the air, dispersing the heat throughout. Cubes are growing absolutely wild in there, they're loving the warmth.

The chamber is 340Wx530Lx510H, which is bucketloads of space. I could easily fit 30x 1L jars in there and have enough room on top of them to sit a heap of plates.

Total cost was:
5x Nightlight @ $4.89 = $24.45
2x XPS Board @ $15.13 = $30.26
1x 6 Port Multiboard = $4.97
1x Arlec Temperature Control = $29.98
1x Shelf = $10.97

Total = $100.63

You could easily knock that down to ~$60 by buying one of these for $8 and wiring in a light socket with a 25W bulb in it. Of course though, I didn't need to buy a cabinet to put it in, so that saved money, but it'd be pretty simple to repurpose an old set of drawers or some such thing :smile:

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread - for those of us looking for New Zealand-specific assistance!

Check my journal for my attempts at growing mushrooms!

"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"

OfflineHefee
Stranger
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Dunedinite]
    #26145770 - 08/21/19 06:59 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

That setup looks amazing! i am doing my setup in a portable greenhouse, i have a heater fan running into a plastic tote and that tote has 2 fans on it, one connected to the heater itself, and the other one in circuit with the ultrasonic humidifier, this will all be vented into my greenhouse which is indoors and out of the elements, i have an STC-3028 which i have wired up, this controls the humidity and temperature, everything a good fruiting chamber needs. all automated, hands free!

the fan i am getting is this one here

It is gonna cost me around 160-180 i think, but it's EC and comes with 3 different speeds, the highest works at around 750CFM @ 250 PA, which is around deep pleated filter specs, the mid runs around 700CFM @200 PA which is mini pleated, so whatever i end up using i can use it no problem! it also has a low setting which i probably will not use.

I am very happy i have found this tho, it took me over 50h tho, alibaba is a pain in the arse to work with, i cannot wait until i have some results from my work, i have already invested around 700 so far i think.

OfflineArcadeDuck
Shroomer
Other

Loc: Random Duck Pond
    #26146759 - 08/21/19 06:28 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Dude this looks so good

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

#26146776 - 08/21/19 06:39 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Keen to see how you mount/install that fan. I've seen quite a few inline fans that look like that in the brochure and wondered how they are used. Photo evidence expected!:trollhide:

--------------------

OfflineHefee
Stranger
    #26147360 - 08/22/19 04:30 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Bobbit said:
Keen to see how you mount/install that fan. I've seen quite a few inline fans that look like that in the brochure and wondered how they are used. Photo evidence expected!:trollhide:

this one is not inline, it comes in a "snail" housing, or whatever they call it :laugh:

mounting it i think will be the least difficult part.

OfflinepsilocybiNZL
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Land Flag
    #26151245 - 08/24/19 06:41 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Those are some hardcore set ups, if you guys are talking about fans. The setups I've seen is a small 28cm x 28cm heat pad, and two small polystyrene chilly bins with a heat pad underneath it. You guys must really love your mushrooms and take high doses :smile:

OfflineDunedinite
Actually a cat

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand Flag
Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: psilocybiNZL]
    #26152907 - 08/25/19 08:39 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

psilocybiNZL said:
Those are some hardcore set ups, if you guys are talking about fans. The setups I've seen is a small 28cm x 28cm heat pad, and two small polystyrene chilly bins with a heat pad underneath it. You guys must really love your mushrooms and take high doses :smile:

I haven't taken a macrodose in about 3 years :lol:

The issue I see with a heat pad is that it could overheat, or doesn't really distribute heat terribly well. The bottom of the jars would be super toasty and the top might not be warm enough.

I do love my mushrooms tho <3 They are my babies.

--------------------
The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread - for those of us looking for New Zealand-specific assistance!

Check my journal for my attempts at growing mushrooms!

"Don't accept that what's happening
Is just a case of others' suffering
Or you'll find that you're joining in
The turning away"

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

#26152931 - 08/25/19 09:02 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

I haven't taken a macro dose in some years also.

Doesn't mean those around me shouldn't. . . 😏

--------------------

OfflineHefee
Stranger
    #26153057 - 08/25/19 11:12 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dunedinite said:

The issue I see with a heat pad is that it could overheat, or doesn't really distribute heat terribly well. The bottom of the jars would be super toasty and the top might not be warm enough.

Learning this the hard way, i picked up on it early and now have a Piece of Corflute as a buffer between to spread the heat more evenly and also dissipate some of the heat because it was a little too toasty.

My grain jars are 70% or so populated with Myc about 3 or so of them, not all jars are going as well, they are taking their time.

i have to post pics of my setup for my humidity/temperature control unit, it's all automated so all i have to do is tweak the humidity/heat controller and then check on it to make sure all is going well.

OfflinepsilocybiNZL
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Mushroom Land Flag
    #26153136 - 08/26/19 02:24 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Dunedinite said:
Quote:

psilocybiNZL said:

Can confirm that with the heat pad set up, it was hard to gage the temperature, and the cheap thermometer from warehouse was giving some weird readings. Friend said it does work tho, but takes longer then 2 weeks for the mycellium.

The chilly bin set up was a lot better.

What do you guys do with the cakes after the third flush? slice it up and throw it in with Coir?

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

Loc: Christchurch, NZ Flag
    #26154875 - 08/27/19 08:28 AM (4 years, 6 months ago)

That's a nice incubator you built there Dunedinite, thanks for the tips.
Because I'm doing all my work in an uninsulated garage in Chch, my to-do list includes building a self-regulating Raspberry Pi-controlled incubator (similar to my cactus seedling grow chamber). I just need to track down a broken fridge to use as the enclosure.

Until then, I'm incubating my grain jars inside a plastic tub wrapped in bubble wrap wrapped in a heated water blanket wrapped in another blanket (and it's still probably pretty inefficient). I've used a temperature probe from my still to gauge the temperature inside the tub and it hovers around 25 deg throughout the day.

For the first few jars I used a brewing heat pad, but I found the heat was too focused and not enough for a larger number of jars. However, with my current setup the wheat grain I've inoculated over the last few weeks appears to be colonising steadily. It's my first time using agar and grain, so I'm not sure how long it's supposed to take. About a third of my spore print-to-agar jars developed contams, but there've been no sign of contams in my grain jars yet.

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

Re: The Official Kiwi Cultivators Thread [Re: Bodhibiscuit]
    #26159453 - 08/29/19 05:59 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Five of the first jars I inocculated have developed what I'm guessing is cobweb mold, and one became riddled with trich a couple of days after shaking it. I followed the standard PC guides, so I suspect the contams got in when I did the A2G transfer. I'm going to try building a laminar cabinet next year.
Overall, the mycelium growth has been slower than I expected. Not sure if it's because the moisture content is off or if the jars were too cold before I made an incubator for them. Any ideas?

Earlier this month I bought a new Presto 23Qt on eBay for $203 including shipping from the US. I missed out on one with cheaper shipping (total $175) by a few days, so it pays to keep an eye on the listings if you're in the market for one.

As long as you don't mind waiting several weeks for delivery, I've also found eBay to be a cheap source for useful things like scalpels, inocculation loops, self-healing injection ports, petri dishes, parafilm, borosilicate media bottles, and infrared thermometers. I've got no complaints about the quality of them so far.

OfflineHefee
Stranger
    #26164608 - 09/01/19 11:19 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

and i thought i had a lot of jars/Bags

I don't think any of my jars are contaminated, it could be your "filters" of lack of, i have synthetic filter disc i ordered from USA for a hefty sum.

I'm also chch based.

OfflineBodhibiscuit
Male User Gallery

#26165734 - 09/02/19 05:57 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Nice, I've often wondered how many other local growers there are.

Man you're not wrong, those synthetic filters aren't cheap – good thing they're reusable.

I have a lot of polyfill (dacron) lying around, and people seem to use it successfully for filters, so I've gone with that for now.
I could have hindered GE by stuffing it too tightly though, I can't really tell. I think also when I put the jars directly onto a heatpad at the beginning it dried out the bottom of the jars, and this may be why they stalled and got contaminated. Is it worth attempting to use the healthy colonised grain in a spawn run, or should I toss those ones?

What do you use for bulk sub?
I just had 5 bales of pea straw delivered for $40, and there's a virtually unlimited supply of horse poo for $2/sack from farms between Avonhead and the airport.

OfflineBobbit
Even Stranger

#26165783 - 09/02/19 06:39 PM (4 years, 6 months ago)

Bod suggests stuffing polyfill as tight as possible. GE shouldn't be a problem.

I use felt from spotlight, though I think my latest grain runs are stalling due to these wearing out. . .
Going to make some poly fill lids like the bod and see. . .

--------------------

Edited by Bobbit (09/03/19 09:10 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | Next > | Last >

Shop: North Spore Boomr Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds