Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

Loc: United States Flag
Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits
    #26140041 - 08/17/19 01:59 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Hello Shroomers,
It's been a long time since posting but recently I've decided to dip my toes back into some simple cultivation.

BACKGROUND:
Two bag-style "dummy-proof"  premade kits grown to fruition, one failed attempt due to contamination during rye colonization.

12 jars of sterilized premixed BRF-based substrate optimized for Psilocybe sp. were inoculated, Six jars of a Thai strain and six jars of B+ P. cubensis.

Jars were colonized in darkness with temps maintained close to 80 F in a dual-tub setup. Three B+ jars were lost to contamination, the rest colonized over the next month.

The Thai strain colonized much faster, so once they were ready to be birthed the B+ jars still had some colonizing to do. Because I was not going to be home for a few days and the Thai jars were well past ready to birth I decided to set up my fruting chamber, birth the Thai cakes, lower the temp just barely (2 degrees maybe), and wrap my B+ jars in foil to block light. I left the wrapped jars on one side of the fruiting chamber and came back to them about 5 days later to find them fully colonized.

Now normally I'm patient about these things, but due to circumstances I decided to forego the initial dunk on all jars after birthing in hopes of harvesting a small flush slightly sooner

The Thai strain produced about 6-7g dried over the course of its first flush, not much but enough to make me happy. The B+ cakes began pinning very quickly.

THE PROBLEM:
I started to get very hopeful when I saw these gigantic primordia forming on my B+ cakes, about the diameter of a dime and only a few millimeters tall. But I was very surprised to see them when the first few reached maturity. Thy had formed these squat little stunted fruitbodies with round pincushion-shaped stems maybe a centimeter tall at most and about twice as wide in diameter.

I decided to ride it out, let them produce a flush of little weird button mushrooms and then dunk them in case of dehydration.

THE PRESENT:
All jars have produced one flush and been dunked for 18-20 hours. The Thai cakes have started to pin as usual in the days since. The B+ cakes seems to be growing quite prolifically, but they are still producing these small stunted fruits. Now the fruits being produced are even smaller but growing in quite substantial numbers, almost like oysters or something, rather than the 3 or 4 larger ones from the first flush. I saw a similar thread where someone suggested the cakes were dehydrated, but rehydration doesn't seem to have helped the issue.. I've increased the frequency of misting quite a bit as well.

I could really use some advice or experience. Thanks guys!

Edited by Entheogenerator (08/17/19 02:09 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: Entheogenerator]
    #26140227 - 08/17/19 04:19 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

How long with the pins?

80 is a bit warm

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

OfflineFeedYourMind
indiGlo
 User Gallery

Loc: That One Place
Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: Morel Guy] * 1
    #26140249 - 08/17/19 04:26 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

That tub doesn't look like it's getting any air. Can you explain your setup a bit more? Typically there are holes drilled all around for FAE. They look to be suffocated and possibly overmisted from your notes.

--------------------

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: FeedYourMind] * 2
    #26140302 - 08/17/19 05:08 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

B+? Looks like ksss spaceship pins. Also that fruiting chamber is jacked. Tub in tub FCs were barely acceptable 15yrs ago.

Use a sgfc or the humidity chamber:thumbup:

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: FeedYourMind]
    #26140354 - 08/17/19 05:59 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FeedYourMind said:
That tub doesn't look like it's getting any air. Can you explain your setup a bit more? Typically there are holes drilled all around for FAE. They look to be suffocated and possibly overmisted from your notes.

It has several small holes that aren't shown in the picture, as well as an air pump on a timer hooked up for FAE.

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: Morel Guy]
    #26140358 - 08/17/19 06:02 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

FeedYourMind said:

It has several small holes that aren't shown in the picture, as well as an air pump on a timer hooked up for FAE.

Quote:

Morel Guy said:
How long with the pins?

80 is a bit warm

What do you mean? The pins on the regular cakes are maturing within a few days. The B+ mini fruits have been growing for a week or so at least in varied speeds.

80F was max temp for colonization but it was generally just below it. Fruiting temps have been more like 76-77F.

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: mushboy]
    #26140370 - 08/17/19 06:08 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
B+? Looks like ksss spaceship pins. Also that fruiting chamber is jacked. Tub in tub FCs were barely acceptable 15yrs ago.

Use a sgfc or the humidity chamber:thumbup:

https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/25339094/fpart/all/vc/1

Is the humidity chamber basically a tub-in-tub aquarium heater system with coir instead of perlite? If not what is the heat source?

I feel like this design has been a great way to maintain consistent temperatures despite variations in the room temp.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26140382 - 08/17/19 06:15 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Why heat the chamber? Whats the room temp?

Cubes are good 60f-80f

OfflineFeedYourMind
indiGlo
 User Gallery

#26140384 - 08/17/19 06:16 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Entheogenerator said:
Quote:

FeedYourMind said:

Then it's not getting enough air. It needs more of that, to start. I'd recommend just making a SGFC. Save yourself the hassle of the crazy setup, maybe include a little bit more perlite, definitely add 1/4" holes spaced 2" on all 6 sides, lift up the tub and rest it on some jars, and you're good to go. You want temp swings along with humidity swings. After all, isn't that how nature works? Sometimes our version of perfect is not the mycelium's version. 80F is a bit warm for this hobby. I have fruited anywhere from 67F-76F with amazing success.

Def do more research. Mushboy is right, those look like classic KSSS variety.

--------------------

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: FeedYourMind]
    #26140417 - 08/17/19 06:40 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Interesting. I have only read a little but I was under the impression that they needed a very specific fruiting temperature and at least 90% humidity

OfflineFeedYourMind
indiGlo
 User Gallery

#26140433 - 08/17/19 06:50 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

They do need to be in a good temp range - what Mushboy said is pretty much spot on. And the humidity should fluctuate. At least where I live, night time tends to be more humid and the day time is drier. So humidity should fluctuate. You definitely don't want it to drop too low or else you will have to sit near it and mist if your climate is too dry.

Luckily, you have perlite, and as long as you make enough holes and mist the perlite from time to time, and raise it off the ground so it can use the currents to pull the moisture from underneath the perlite to the surface of the cakes - then your shrooms will recieve all the humidity and fresh air they need.

--------------------

Edited by FeedYourMind (08/17/19 06:52 PM)

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: Entheogenerator] * 2
    #26140529 - 08/17/19 08:07 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Entheogenerator said:
Interesting. I have only read a little but I was under the impression that they needed a very specific fruiting temperature and at least 90% humidity

:justno:
You are reading history books man. Current events

InvisibleAyePlus
Stony Danza
Male User Gallery

Loc: Fairfield, Connecticut
Trusted Cultivator
    #26140586 - 08/17/19 08:54 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Ideal range 70-78, 73-75 is about perfect but anywhere from 60-90 will work, and probably warmer too, but above 80 you’re really asking for bacteria to flourish and below 69 the growth will be slowed significantly. But it will work.

Looks like you’re over misting and not getting enough air as stated above. Ditch the air pump and make a proper fruiting chamber. You’re only a bunch of holes away from a sgfc. I suggest heating the drill bit instead of drilling, less likelyhood of cracking the tote and quicker IME, more smelly though so open a window

--------------------
Learn about breeding

C10’s agar guide
Good surface conditions = Good pinsets
Read more, post less.
πŸ…‚ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό πŸ„΄  πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό  πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

Re: Round, Dark, Stunted Fruits [Re: AyePlus]
    #26142193 - 08/18/19 10:45 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Before completely redesigning my FC I decided to increase the daily running time of the air pump 3-4x seeing as I've already purchased it,  and have been fanning and lightly misting 1-2x daily.

I'll post pics in 1-2 days when I decide if I'm gonna do some drillin'

EDIT: Temps have been lowered the last few days, closer to 76-77F most of the time

Edited by Entheogenerator (08/18/19 10:46 PM)

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

#26143629 - 08/19/19 09:27 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
Quote:

Entheogenerator said:

:justno:
You are reading history books man. Current events

So what would be a good humidity range to aim for?

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

#26145791 - 08/21/19 07:26 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Took me long enough to figure out, but apparently I'm dumb and got my jars mixed up during inoculation. The ones that are not fruiting well are indeed Koh Samui Thai strain and I've had 2-4 pins grow to maturity looking like big plump... well, spaceships.

So now the question is.. After a 20 hour dunk and increased FAE, why are these still cakes doing so poorly when my B+ cakes are growing quite prolifically? Could it be lowering my yield?

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

#26152632 - 08/25/19 04:07 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

In case anyone is still seeing this thread (it doesn't seem like it), FC was converted to a shotgun-style chamber to allow for more FAE.

Cakes seem much happier now, humidity fuctuating thought the day in the nineties. We'll see if the KSSSS cakes throw any more decent sized fruits, fingers crossed.

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26152633 - 08/25/19 04:09 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Hazzah for shrooms!
:zoidberg:

Have you eaten those ksss spaceships? They are supposed to be mighty potent:evil:

OfflineFeedYourMind
indiGlo
 User Gallery

#26152841 - 08/25/19 07:22 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

mushboy said:
Hazzah for shrooms!
:zoidberg:

Have you eaten those ksss spaceships? They are supposed to be mighty potent:evil:

The KSSS spaceships are my fav. And yes! They’re extremely potent. Better than PE in my experiences.

--------------------

OfflineEntheogenerator
Male

#26212032 - 09/26/19 07:02 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

I haven't, two or three bigger ones sprouted when the cakes were first birthed but since then I have only been able to produce aborts from the KSSS cakes. I probably have a gram or two of little round KSSS aborts so they are probably pretty potent.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds