Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinebeforethedawn
Why is there no psychiatric diagnosis for dehumanisation?
    #26142559 - 08/19/19 09:20 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Well?

It's exceptionally rampant, and causes far more insane behaviour on a far larger scale than any schizophrenia or personality disorder.

--------------------
Hostile humankind
Can't you see you're fucking blind?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Why is there no psychiatric diagnosis for dehumanisation? [Re: beforethedawn]
    #26142573 - 08/19/19 09:26 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Govt would be very guilty of that

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

OfflineMorel Guy
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Why is there no psychiatric diagnosis for dehumanisation? [Re: Morel Guy]
    #26142575 - 08/19/19 09:27 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

To answer your guestion is because it is a verb.

--------------------
"in sterquiliniis invenitur in stercore invenitur"

In filth it will be found in dung it will be found

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Why is there no psychiatric diagnosis for dehumanisation? [Re: Morel Guy] * 1
    #26142683 - 08/19/19 10:51 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

We do have the terms: 'nature deficit disorder', and 'sadism', and 'dissociative disorder', - so it seems usually it is broken down into specifics, rather than going general. And the categories may be combined.
If it really interests you, you could to a search with the words:
Nazi, war crimes, psychological diagnosis
or similar type words
Stalin, psychological diagnosis
Mass murders, psychological diagnosis
etc.
as a start for research on the subject

Invisibleturbulentflow
Probably sober
I'm a teapot

Re: Why is there no psychiatric diagnosis for dehumanisation? [Re: laughingdog] * 1
    #26147948 - 08/22/19 12:40 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Most Nazi's were sane, though. Sure, you can certainly find examples of units (especially in the SS) where there was a higher-than-usual concentration of people with mental problems, but even then the majority was usually what we would consider sane.

In fact, during the Nuremberg trials, all members of the Nazi high command were given Rorschach tests (at the time a cutting-edge test for determining insanity). The results of these tests were sent to a number of the most prominent experts for analysis. Not a single one wrote back. Later, it was revealed that the reason for this mass refusal was a simple one: the results indicated that the Nazi high command was completely sane. In fact, when these historical Rorschach results were mixed with results taken from random people, experts were completely unable to tell who was a normal person and who was a war criminal.

Now, you could certainly take this anecdote as an indictment of Rorschach tests, and I might be inclined to agree with you, but, really, which do you think is more likely: that an entire country of people collectively went insane for a decade, or that ordinary people are capable of committing terrible acts under the right circumstances? It's certainly a disturbing thought, and it can be comforting to tell ourselves that the Nazis were sick, that they were evil, that they were nothing like us. But the truth is, they were exactly like us. The only thing separating us from them is when and where we happened to be born. And that, my friend, is the true horror of fascism.

--------------------
"We cannot command nature except by obeying her."

InvisibleDividedQuantumM
Outer Head
Male User Gallery

Re: Why is there no psychiatric diagnosis for dehumanisation? [Re: turbulentflow]
    #26148046 - 08/22/19 01:48 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Good post. Yes, it's disconcerting to know that the majority, in the then most well-educated country in the entire world, was able to embrace Hitler, fascism and vicious anti-Semitism for a period of about ten years, plus or minus. Not only that, there was a collective will to take over Europe and then the world to institute such a program. You're right, they weren't crazy. It reminds me of the quote by Hercule Poirot from Agatha Christie's The Clocks:
"The world is full of good people who do bad things, mon ami." I suppose it reminds one that the human animal cannot ever be trusted when it forms groups that are passionate.

Something like this, although very different, must be happening in a country in which tens of millions of people believe Donald Trump is the second coming of Jesus Christ. I wish this were a caricature, but it's been in the news over the last week. Trump even acknowledged and agreed with it in an impromptu interview. This shit is surreal. As you point out, this sort of behavior is horrific.

--------------------
Vi Veri Universum Vivus Vici

Invisiblelaughingdog
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Why is there no psychiatric diagnosis for dehumanisation? [Re: turbulentflow]
    #26148614 - 08/22/19 07:40 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

...I admit I'm surprised turbulentflow, but I think some distinctions are in order.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=insanity+vs+neurosis&ia=web

...If Ted Bundy the serial killer, fooled his wife for years, while killing & torturing 30 women, what are the chances, a rorschach test would have detected anything?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Ted+Bundy%2C+serial+killer%2C+diagnosis&ia=web

...The Nazi's had to be found sane so they couldn't, plead insanity.

....I wonder if any sensitive caring people that weren't nazis, or friends of those of the higher ups that ordered the exterminations, and executed those orders, would have felt comfortable in their presence for very long?

...As normal is a broad & vague term, and very shortly most humans will be living in cites, and thus have nature deficit disorder, normal seems an almost useless term.
....Like wise if we define normal as acting in one's own best interest - clearly the millions who smoke, have some sort of neurosis. One can think of many similar examples, and psychiatrists and psychologists and doctors are also often neurotic.

...So the whole business of diagnosis sort of often depends on who is doing it.

....And some pathologies are characterized by being very hard to detect, such as con men & Sociopaths, and Psychopaths.

Edited by laughingdog (08/22/19 07:49 PM)

Offlinebeforethedawn
Re: Why is there no psychiatric diagnosis for dehumanisation? [Re: laughingdog]
    #26148882 - 08/23/19 12:30 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

I can't even remember making this thread. Goes to show how intense this week has been.

I know you're a Fed, DividedQuantum.

I ONLY WANTED TO BUY HER FLOWERRRSSSSSSS

--------------------
Hostile humankind
Can't you see you're fucking blind?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom