Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Archetypes
    #2614244 - 04/29/04 02:28 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

A common take on it (and Jung's also) of archetypes is that, though god and good and evil and rebirth and life after death may not exist, and scientific evidence shows no proof of these, they should not be discouraged by the skeptics. As whether they're real or not, they play a vital role that evolution has infused in humans since the beginning of our time. They give us hope, and freedom from fear, and motivation, and creativity.

Someone who has always believed in god and the astral planes after death and then, one night wakes up and suddenly realizes that it's all in the unconscious, would be, to say the least, deprived of much hope. Though they may come over it, if they truely realized it and it wasn't just a temporary void of their belief, they would never be the same, and would have, in fact, lost much of natural human wonder in the process.

Though we can never get rid of the archetypes and complexes in the ways they manifest themselves in our lives, we can disbelieve them and whenever they appear in the conscious from the unconscious, attempt to destroy them for the purposes of chaos and reality, to reduce life to the simple thought that human spirit does not exist, it's just atoms moving by commands of energy.

The spirit molecules are, after all, simply molecules. Should we say the same of human existence?

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Archetypes [Re: Ravus]
    #2614257 - 04/29/04 02:33 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Or, perhaps, there is another way, of rather than constantly looking to religion and the cosmos, to look within the unconscious, acknowledging that the unconscious creates and contains it all and is, in many senses of the word, a divine power. If the unconscious is great enough to induce all that we can imagine and believe, to create rebirth and chakras and astral planes and gods, if it can contain the godself within it (though it may project it onto other objects or entities,) why not look within for divinity?

Realizing the truth of the mind may not have to be the same as giving up hope of the divine, rather it may be a realization that the divine is not a god standing above the universe controlling it all, but is rather an inner force that creates all human senses and thoughts

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibleSclorch
Clyster

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: On the Brink of Madness
Re: Archetypes [Re: Ravus]
    #2614364 - 04/29/04 02:56 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

I find that such thinking (ala religion or other dogma) does NOT give one freedom from fear - it is merely a distraction from fear.

It very closely parallels the Alcoholics/Narcotics Anonymous program...
Instead of treating addiction itself by getting substance addicts to change their personalities, these programs merely redirect a person's addiction. Now they become addicted to going to these meetings or going to church or whatever. I know and have known several people who have done this exactly as I've said - they've merely become addicted to something more socially acceptable.

--------------------
Note: In desperate need of a cure...

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology