Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Substrate& casing leveler tool idea
    #2614216 - 04/29/04 02:21 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

I was thinking if your doing a bulk grow with say 4 big ass 2x3' trays and dont want to hand level the substrate and casing you could make a tool out of a 2x6 a bit wider then your tray say 2'4" if your doing a 2x3 tray. And have notches on either end so the board will sing into the tray about 1" on one side of th board then you flip it over and have 1/2" notches on the other. The notches will slide allong the rim of your tray 1" and 1/2" below the rim. You go with the 1" side down to perfectly level out the substrate then hand level on the ends since it a 7-8" rubermaid container and its radiused on the corners. Then when teh substrate is done, throw your casing on top and use the otherside to plot it aorund so you have a perfect 1/2", or whatever thickness fancys you, casing thickness. Sound like a good idea?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblefict
phi
Re: Substrate& casing leveler tool idea [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2614478 - 04/29/04 03:29 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Hi,
I'm pretty new to all this, but I thought I might offer my input. Sliding the leveler across the substrate would push the substrate to the edges of the casing. I guess you could take the leveler and, instead of sliding it, use it to compact the substrate to an even layer. But sliding it back and forth, I imagine that you'd wind up with extra substrate to either discard or use in another casing. If you apply about the right amount of substrate, and it's just a matter of getting it level, then it sounds perfect.

In order to get the right about of substrate for an even layer, it should be a reasonably simple matter of just emptying out some uncolonized substrate, leveling as per your suggestion, and using the same amount of colonized substrate. Sounds like a good idea to me, just thought I'd offer that little addition.

Good idea!
~fict

Offlinedebianlinux
Myconerd - DBK
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Over There
Re: Substrate& casing leveler tool idea [Re: fict]
    #2615242 - 04/29/04 10:28 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

egg rings (kitchen and camping stores) work well. so do plain ole eyeballs.

definitely an interesting idea.

the only downside i really see to this method (other than labor) is that your leveler would really only work for whatever bin you designed it for. IOW, it's not very versatile.

OfflineGr0wer
always improving
Male

Loc: El Paso, TX Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Substrate& casing leveler tool idea [Re: debianlinux]
    #2615420 - 04/29/04 11:38 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Well im talking about a bulk grow using all the same bins, and i doubt you could make a versitiel tool that would level as weel as this unless if you use a handheld concrete lever, which could work almost as well if you know how to work the tool. Ive seen the egg ring tek but im trying to make a single meathod to level not only the casing but the substrate itself.

About the substrate amount. You can hand rough level after piling in on then give it a final swipe with the tool. Any extra or lack of  substrate at the ends or casing if leved and any extra goes to the next tray.

Il be doing a mycofile style BNG grow in a 2x2box with mexi-cube, Same exact box size as mycofiles only taller so i can line the top and close the box making it look unconspicous. But as did mycofile im just throwing a plastic liner in and dumping the substrate into that with about 8" to the top rim, so the tool wouldnt work that well riding on the plastic lined cardboard rim 8" up. So unless if i find low container(s) that fill the space perfectly, i doubt anyone will be trying this tek till fall when someone does this grow :laugh:

OfflineRoyale

Loc: Bend Over And I'll Show Y...
Re: Substrate& casing leveler tool idea [Re: Gr0wer]
    #2615433 - 04/29/04 11:42 AM (13 years, 5 months ago)

Only one way to find out.... But sounds like it would work.
Good luck!!!

--------------------
"Burnin', I feel a burnin' in my stomach
I wanna' know if I'm a gonna make it
If I don't just spread my ashes
If I do just spread your mind"
~~~~~~PRIMUS~~~~~~

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Advanced Mycology