Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineOllieTabooger
Stranger
 User Gallery
My first grow!!
    #26139246 - 08/16/19 10:33 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Hey guys!

I just made an account, because Im new to the hobby, and I wanted to share how my first grow went, and maybe also get some answers for a few questions.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
Re: My first grow!! [Re: OllieTabooger]
    #26139249 - 08/16/19 10:35 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Those look great! Come over to the oat side...

OfflineFun-G
Dr gonzo
Male User Gallery
Re: My first grow!! [Re: Failboat]
    #26139264 - 08/16/19 10:45 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

ΔΉooks really good for a cake...

Plenty there for a few trips

OfflineOllieTabooger
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My first grow!! [Re: Fun-G]
    #26139383 - 08/17/19 12:29 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

I have a few jars of blue meanies i just got in the dunk tonight. Ill post pictures in here when they begin to fruit.

Also what is the benefit of using oats?

OfflineFun-G
Dr gonzo
Male User Gallery
    #26139388 - 08/17/19 12:37 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Oats are a whole grain.

You get fruits the size of a Billy bat that can sometimes weigh in at 28g dry. Or you can get 12oz flushes using bird seed or similar whole grain...

Those would be why he/she mentioned oats.

OfflineOllieTabooger
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26139390 - 08/17/19 12:39 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

I used brown rice flower for my substrate, is that not a good nutrient for them?

OfflineFun-G
Dr gonzo
Male User Gallery
    #26139394 - 08/17/19 12:47 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Yes, brf is the standard for cakes.

If you get 7g dry off a 250ml cake your doing good. 14g dry off a 250ml cake in three flushes is excellent.

OfflineOllieTabooger
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #26139401 - 08/17/19 01:14 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Why is it that oats and birdseed produce bigger fruits? I thought the size of the fruit was more dependent on the cake size.

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

#26139407 - 08/17/19 01:27 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fun-G said:
Oats are a whole grain.

You get fruits the size of a Billy bat that can sometimes weigh in at 28g dry. Or you can get 12oz flushes using bird seed or similar whole grain...

Do not expect those kinds of yields.

Bulk has much better yields that cakes, but the weights he mentioned aren't the standard.

Not bad for a first grow.

--

Oats and birdseed are used for a different style of growing called bulk grows.  It's where you prepare bulk whole grain and colonize the grain in a jar or bag, usually quart jars are used.  Then you "Spawn" that grain to bulk substrate in a tub mixing the whole thing together.  Instead of small sized jars growing individually, you get the growing energy provided by 5 quarts of grain in a single tub that most growers can confortably expect to pull a dry 4oz from. 

Alternatively you can do bulk in smaller 6qt totes called shoeboxes and with 1 quart of grain and expect to yield 1-1.5oz dry.

Any other questions in particular you've got?

--------------------
Everything i say is completely hypothetical...

OfflineOllieTabooger
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My first grow!! [Re: Hobbyist]
    #26139415 - 08/17/19 01:38 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Hobbyist said:
Quote:

Fun-G said:
Oats are a whole grain.

Do not expect those kinds of yields.

Bulk has much better yields that cakes, but the weights he mentioned aren't the standard.

Not bad for a first grow.

--

Oats and birdseed are used for a different style of growing called bulk grows.  It's where you prepare bulk whole grain and colonize the grain in a jar or bag, usually quart jars are used.  Then you "Spawn" that grain to bulk substrate in a tub mixing the whole thing together.  Instead of small sized jars growing individually, you get the growing energy provided by 5 quarts of grain in a single tub that most growers can confortably expect to pull a dry 4oz from. 

Alternatively you can do bulk in smaller 6qt totes called shoeboxes and with 1 quart of grain and expect to yield 1-1.5oz dry.

Any other questions in particular you've got?

Im using a dehydrator to dry my fruits. Does that make them lose any potency?

How often should I change the pearlite in my fruiting chamber?

I just used water and steam my jars for sterilization, im looking into a pressure cooker, but dont know what size would be the best.

Can you take a fully grown cake, and break it down? Like smush it into another cake, or just flatted it to give it more surface area?

Ive noticed after i dunked my cake for their 3rd flush recently, they had a somewhat sour smell in the chamber. No signs of contam, is that normal ?

How do you know when a cake is completely used up?

Ive made my own syringes,and spore prints. How long do those stay good?

Edited by OllieTabooger (08/17/19 01:40 AM)

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

#26139432 - 08/17/19 02:28 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

No noticeable loss in potency using food dehydrators for up to 48 hours.

I wouldn't think it needs to be changed throughout the life of a set of cakes.  I'd clean it after that and reuse it.

It depends on your intended use.  Most people opt for a 23 quart persto.  They can be had for ~$70 and can sterilize 10 quarts or 14 pint jars at a time.

Yes, you can break down a cake and spawn that to bulk, it's often recommended to use a cheese grater for that purpose.  I would suspect you could smash it into another shape and fruit it in a SGFC like a cake, but I don't think that would be efficient.  If you're gonna use cakes, I'd recommend either fruiting them as cakes or shredding them and spawning them to bulk substrate in a tub.  However, if you're gonna spawn to bulk it will be more time efficient to use a whole grain such as oats.  Plus they're cheap.  50#/$12 is a common price.

I'd imagine the sour smell is indicative of a contam.  You're welcome to pull fruits until the smell becomes too strong for your liking or you visibly see a contam at which point you'd want to pull the plug to avoid contaminating your grow area.  If you're not in huge need of the fruits of this current grow, perhaps toss it and start over to avoid introducing excessive contam spores to the area?

When a cake stops producing it's available energy for producing fruits is exhausted.  The longer you flush it the fewer fruits it will produce(though those fruits are generally larger than those of early flushes).  That being said, most people shoot for 2-3 flushes and toss the project to make room for another and keep the contams from setting in.

If you take a print and dry it for 24 hours before packing it up it should be good for years.  If you keep it in the freezer I've heard of spores being good a decade or more later.  I've used unfrozed spores that were 6 years old and they germinated just fine.  I've also used spores only a year old(supposedly) and they didn't germinate at all..

Theoretically it's posited that spores could exist in the vacuum of space.  It's then proposed that fungi could be extraterrestrial since they could have arrived through space...  I'll let you come to your own conclusions on the probability of that.

--------------------

OfflineFun-G
Dr gonzo
Male User Gallery
    #26139438 - 08/17/19 02:34 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

If your going to invest in a pressure cooker go with the more expensive AA they have a pressure gauge that shows when it's at 15psi

I'm finding with the everyday pressure cooker like a mirro or presto that even though the weight is supposedly regulating at 15psi it releases to much steam to be regulating probably.....happened on both a mirro 22qt and presto 22qt ..... you've been warned.

Grains won't sterilize thoroughly with them but they do work sometimes....not sure why it's such a hit and miss. Buy Aa for guaranteed success....

You can crumble of cakes up in a clean baggy and use them as spawn to bulk, they work ok but dont produce monster mushrooms like rye or wbs

I wouldn't recommend mushing cakes together unless your going to be doing it in a outdoor bed, that'll work depending on the time of year and temperature

Spore prints and syringes stay viable for a extremely long time...3-4years. Some say longer....

I hope I answered them all, I'm currently stoned on 1.2g of some gt's I grew

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

#26139443 - 08/17/19 02:44 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Fun-G said:
If your going to invest in a pressure cooker go with the more expensive AA they have a pressure gauge that shows when it's at 15psi

I'm finding with the everyday pressure cooker like a mirro or presto that even though the weight is supposedly regulating at 15psi it releases to much steam to be regulating probably.....happened on both a mirro 22qt and presto 22qt ..... you've been warned.

Grains won't sterilize thoroughly with them but they do work sometimes....not sure why it's such a hit and miss. Buy Aa for guaranteed success....

You can crumble of cakes up in a clean baggy and use them as spawn to bulk, they work ok but dont produce monster mushrooms like rye or wbs

I wouldn't recommend mushing cakes together unless your going to be doing it in a outdoor bed, that'll work depending on the time of year and temperature

Spore prints and syringes stay viable for a extremely long time...3-4years. Some say longer....

I hope I answered them all, I'm currently stoned on 1.2g of some gt's I grew

Don't listen to this guy.

The 23 qt presto I recommended is $72 at walmart and has a pressure gauge, though frankly pressure gauges are inaccurate and you should rely on the weight more than the gauge.  There's no need to spend $250 on a pressure cooker unless you need it to compensate or are into spending unnecessary money.  Don't mistake me, I'd like one, but the function from a presto is the same.  Read what one of our trusted cultivators and moderators Bodhisatta says on the topic.

If grains aren't sterilizing in a pressure cooker, it's user error.  Pure and simple. 

Don't crumble your cakes in a bag if you're gonna crumble them, do it in open air, as long as your spawn is clean, it'll be fine.  Why would you go through unnecessary steps?

Mushing your cakes together won't be a benefit in an outdoor bed or anywhere, simply spawn them if you're gonna break them apart, or fruit them as cakes.

Spore syringes do not remain viable as long as spore prints.

--------------------

OfflineGeinstein
Shroomery addict
Male User Gallery

Re: My first grow!! [Re: Hobbyist]
    #26139467 - 08/17/19 03:10 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Nice:thumbup:

--------------------

Nothing breads nothing

OfflineFun-G
Dr gonzo
Male User Gallery
Re: My first grow!! [Re: Geinstein]
    #26139486 - 08/17/19 04:37 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

I said they work.... sometimes....

Pc'ing on high heat for 2.5hours and still getting bacteria in wbs...

Not to derail ops thread but if it's not the PC then I need to try another whole grain....popcorn worked but it's not looking like it's going to yield like wbs would.

I'll try rye next time and if it fails I'm scraping the kitchen ware PC for a professional autoclave. And it's not 250...more like 450.... money is meaningless for peace of mind

OfflineSingularFusion
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: My first grow!! [Re: Geinstein]
    #26139490 - 08/17/19 04:44 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

yeah you can forget 28 gram dry fruits in my limited experience, losing more than 90% of their weight, that would be like a 320g wet fruit

Not sure what the record here is, but I'm thinking not that big and even if there is such a thing, you may be lucky enough to find a single example on all of the shroomery with it's years of collective cultivation experience

And marketability has nothing to do with the overall size of the fruits, high potency is what makes dealer mushrooms memorable IMHO, who gives a shit what they look like if you are gonna crumble them into tea anyway :shrug:

I use a piece of shit PC I got off ebay here in europe second hand for under 20 bucks, spent 10 bucks on some new rubber seals. It PCs like any other PC, just no bells and whistles and all that jazz. I have no experience of presto but enough guys here use it that obviously it works and I would be proud to have a couple of them if I didn't have to pay double with the import taxes to get a presto myself

you don't need anything that is the best to get the job done is all I am saying. Unless perhaps you are a richer man than I and money is no object. Then by all means have the best

good luck in any case

--------------------
πŸ…ƒ πŸ„΄ πŸ„° πŸ„Ό    πŸ„² πŸ„» πŸ„Έ πŸ„½ πŸ„Ά πŸ…† πŸ… πŸ„° πŸ„Ώ

OfflineOllieTabooger
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My first grow!! [Re: SingularFusion]
    #26139866 - 08/17/19 11:24 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Another question I have is when to harvest my fruits. I know they are most potent right before or right after their veil breaks, but sometimes ive noticed that they dont always mature at the same rate. Sometimes ive had a really big fruit that hasnt broken yet, and just today i harvested a flush because there was several smaller ones that had broken, while the bigger ones had not yet. Is it better to just harvest the broken and mature mushrooms and let the others be, or is it best to just clear the cake and dunk it righr away?

InvisibleHobbyist
Citizen

#26140829 - 08/18/19 02:12 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Harvest when you like.  Most people harvest immediately before the veil breaks unless you're going for spore prints as well as fruits.  That gives good weight without the spores dropping all over.  I believe most people harvest an entire flush  at once, though that's personal preference.  I've read of people harvesting as they mature, but that's more work for the grower.

--------------------

InvisibleNaturalVida
Stranger

#26141233 - 08/18/19 11:07 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

nice!
better then my first grow.

that will be enough for a couple good trips.

OfflineOllieTabooger
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: My first grow!! [Re: NaturalVida]
    #26141638 - 08/18/19 03:11 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

I need some help again guys. I birthed some new jars and the pins started growing down on the bottom of the cake. I flipped one because the mushrooms were still small but one cake has a huge fruit but its growing downward. I dont want it to just start touching the pearlite what should I do?

url=https://files.shroomery.org/files/19-33/616265197-received_678040409367748.jpg][/url

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom