Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineShartacus
Stranger

LC to Rye Berry Bags not Colonizing?
    #26133662 - 08/13/19 11:30 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Hey all!  So, I've been having a hard time with LC->Rye Berries spawn bag to start initial colonization for some reason. Hoping someone can give some pointers. I have done this same process 5 years ago (WITH WBS) and it worked just fine.

The LC grows fine from initial spore inoculation in the sterilized pint jars. I made 2 different LC jars in case I had issues...

Organic Rye berries were soaked in water/1 tbsp gypsum for 24 hours first time and 12 hours on 2nd attempt (two different batches) both of which had same result of not colonizing. I do a full boil for 10 minutes after soak & wash. Check for field capacity after mixing around colander & they seem to be perfect prior to pressure cooking. No sticking, no soaking toilet paper test, etc.

The rye berry spawn bags are sterilized at 15psi for 90 minutes. These are .05 micron patch bags, sealed after loading soaked/washed rye berries then sterilized, etc.

I typically wait overnight or at least 5-6 hours before removing from PC and inoculating with seemingly good LC. I tried both LC jars thinking maybe the first LC jar was bad or something but neither have been colonizing the bags. 1st LC jar split between 3 bags about 4cc LC each and 2nd LC jar in only a single bag at full 10cc of LC. I know, way too much but I figured it may help growth as a test... lol.

There is no indication of too much water or anything at bottom of bags. In fact, they seem a little dry on outside within a few days to me... not sure why since I did soak them for 12-24 hours. I remember with wild bird seed, seeds always seemed to stay moist for a while.

------------

The bags are set on a shelf in a constant 75 degrees fahrenheit room at 50% humidity.

Its been about 15 days for all bags and I have not seen any myc growth at all. So, I'm confused. What did I do wrong?

The bags do not have a bad smell. They still smell exactly like how they smell after pressure cooking.

------------

The only things I believe I've done differently from 5 years ago are:

1. Living in different physical location
and
2. Using denatured alcohol flame lamp on syringe needle prior to soaking up LC and another flame sterilize prior to inoculating rye berry bags. Am I possibly killing the LC due to heat from sterilizing syringe needle??

Edited by Shartacus (08/13/19 12:04 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
Re: LC to Rye Berry Bags not Colonizing? [Re: Shartacus]
    #26133664 - 08/13/19 11:33 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Never inoculate LC with spores.

OfflineShartacus
Stranger

Re: LC to Rye Berry Bags not Colonizing? [Re: Failboat]
    #26133694 - 08/13/19 12:01 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Quirkmeister92 said:
Never inoculate LC with spores.

To clarify: I inoculated the rye berry bags with the LC successfully created from spores. I did not inoculate the LC into a different spore jar and/or I did not mix inoculation with LC and spores in same bag.

The issue is no growth of mycelium from within the bags after inoculating with the seemingly good LC.

OfflineDnDRnD
Hobby cultivator

Loc: Washington Flag
    #26133698 - 08/13/19 12:04 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

LC isn't made with spores, spore syringes are inherently dirty and could very well be why your LC doesnt grow out when grains are inoculated, could very well be that bacteria from the spores are getting a foothold way before the mushroom mycelium does

--------------------
Bods Easy AF Oat Prep Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/24126032

Pastywhytes No Pour Agar Tek (PastyPlates)
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/19208976

Shaperdreamings Shoebox Assembly Tek
https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/26009662

Down with the bourgeoisie and up with the proletariat

OfflineShartacus
Stranger

Re: LC to Rye Berry Bags not Colonizing? [Re: DnDRnD]
    #26133705 - 08/13/19 12:08 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DnDRnD said:
LC isn't made with spores, spore syringes are inherently dirty and could very well be why your LC doesnt grow out when grains are inoculated, could very well be that bacteria from the spores are getting a foothold way before the mushroom mycelium does

Ah, ok... well, shit. I'll keep trying then.  Thanks!

OfflineDnDRnD
Hobby cultivator

#26133712 - 08/13/19 12:13 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

I mean that could be a potential reason, it could possibly just be that you only got a very small amount of mycelium in there, i know ive gone to inoculate jars and accidentally didnt get any mycelium in there from the LC

--------------------

OfflineShartacus
Stranger

#26133722 - 08/13/19 12:20 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DnDRnD said:
I mean that could be a potential reason, it could possibly just be that you only got a very small amount of mycelium in there, i know ive gone to inoculate jars and accidentally didnt get any mycelium in there from the LC

Yeah, I thought that as well and made sure to get clumps of what looks like LC into the syringe. That was on the 10cc full squeeze in single rye bag.

I'm going to try to inoc a few quart jars w/LC and some w/spore syringe because I'm curious... unfortunately, I don't have the means to do agar or G2G transfers at the moment. Just never had this much of a problem before doing it this way. Pisses me off, haha.

Edited by Shartacus (08/13/19 12:20 PM)

OfflineDnDRnD
Hobby cultivator

#26133727 - 08/13/19 12:27 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah LC can be a pain in the ass, honestly if you dont have access to agar id recommend BRF paste then, it's way old school and can also be a huge pain for taking transfers (the paste solidifies up pretty solid which makes cutting it a bitch) but it supposedly works for getting a clean culture in a pinch

Spores directly to grain can occasionally "work", I put work in quotation marks because you may get some fruits off of it but compared to a clean culture on grains it's not very good.

--------------------

OfflineShartacus
Stranger

#26133739 - 08/13/19 12:33 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

DnDRnD said:
Yeah LC can be a pain in the ass, honestly if you dont have access to agar id recommend BRF paste then, it's way old school and can also be a huge pain for taking transfers (the paste solidifies up pretty solid which makes cutting it a bitch) but it supposedly works for getting a clean culture in a pinch

Spores directly to grain can occasionally "work", I put work in quotation marks because you may get some fruits off of it but compared to a clean culture on grains it's not very good.

Ok, thanks for the info man! Much appreciated.

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
    #26133839 - 08/13/19 01:47 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Why can't you work with agar? It's very cheap itself and you could use a no-pour tek like pastyplates.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags