Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Loc: United States Flag
SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) * 45
    #26043820 - 06/10/19 12:57 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Welcome to my complete Small Form Factor (SFF) Shoebox Factory Tek. My aim is to make something that is essentially just my regional version of how to prep a shoebox that is 100% set and forget for the duration of the fruiting process. What makes my Tek different is that I live in a 550sf studio. I want to show you in this TEK how to run a pretty hefty, yet small scale run of mushrooms while having it not take over your home. I've always liked SFF  in things that don't need to be large, so I aim for my grows to also have this compatibility.

This specific thread will put together the whole process that will take you through creating mushroom forests for people who don't have a lot of space to run projects.

Disclaimer: I couldn't have made this TEK with out the extensive work that came before me. So many memebers of the Shroomery have paved the way for me to do this, and after over running over 150 shoeboxes I wanted to give back and do my best to create something a bit different from other cultivators on here.

Across this whole Tek my goal is to show you how to run a 9-10 shoebox harvest in rotation. I like to create 5 shoeboxes at a time for easy of management for my harvests. If staggered just right you'll be harvesting about 5 boxes every week for about a month. These 10 total boxes should produce around 300+~ wet grams per myco-quart for the first flush, and around 70% each subsequent flush. Subsequent flushes take about two weeks to fruit. If everything works out perfect you'll be harvesting an average of 5 oz of dry mushrooms per week for a month (20 oz or 1.25lbs total). Breakdown:
  • Week 1: First 5 boxes flush 1 (1,500+~ wet grams)
  • Week 2: Second 5 boxes, flush 1 (1,500+~ wet grams)
  • Week 3: First 5 boxes, flush 2 (1,050+~ wet grams)
  • Week 4: Second 5 boxes, flush 2. (1,050+~ wet grams)

I have a tendency to let my shoeboxes play out for a while after the first two flushes, and usually dump them when I get to the point that I'm getting below 100 wet grams per flush (around flush 4-5 usually)... I really should stop doing that. It's kind of ridiculous that I do this as you start to get diminishing returns on your time/effort pretty quickly after the second flush.

About Pictures: I'm sorry there are none in this thread, I promise the break-out teks are PACKED with pictures and animated GIFs, so hopefully that makes up for this wall of text.

GETTING STARTED

So here's the full list of all the supplies you'll need. I've decided to not include how to get clean spawn as part of this Tek, as there's so many methods you really don't need me holding your hands. I highly recommend using AGAR to get clean spawn. Here's the overall breakdown:

Containers:
  • 5-10 Shoeboxes (I recommend the latching lid Sterlite ones)
  • 18 Widemouth Pint Jars (Or 10 Quart Jars)
  • 1 Medium sized insulated cooler
  • Large Clear Tub for SAB

Approx. Cost: $55~ (not including tax, and could be cheaper if you have some of these items already)

Materials:
  • 50# Oats
  • 11# block Coir

Approx. Cost: $30 (This may be on the high end as I had to order coir online)

Other Considerations:
  • Spores
  • Pressure Canner
  • Scale (one that can read grams)
  • A Pot
  • Hammer and Flathead Screwdriver
  • Water
  • Gallon Ziplock Bags
  • Extra Large Collander
  • Aluminum Foil
  • Polyfill

Approx. Cost: $??? (Honestly, you should have many of these around your house already, it's kinda impossible to judge which you have or don't. The Pressure Canner is going to set you back the most, but I found my first one used for $25, so it's possible to find deals)

Also, if you've been following along a bit so far you'll realize that the "Materials" list will be good for more than 10 runs of mushrooms. If you take the math I spitballed above this is enough supplies for 12.5lbs of DRIED mushrooms. Let that sink in.

PRELIMINARY STEPS

Here's what I'm not going to walk you through, but only link you to. These parts of the process you likely started at one point or another, so as long as you have these things you'll be good to go.

Still Air Box (SAB) and Good Sterile Technique:
This one is a little tricky to talk about. The SAB is super easy to make, but following Sterile Technique is where you may have to learn from a lot of trial and error. I followed Bod's EAF SAB Tek, which is super easy to do. The one thing I didn't do the first time through is watch all of his SAB Videos. When I started working in mycology I had pretty good luck with my contamination, but when I moved into my current place my contamination rate went up 40% out of nowhere. So I had to go back and improve my Sterile Technique, and those videos were super helpful.

Clean Spawn:
I do not recommend using a Mulit-Spore Syringe to inoculate grains. For this I recommend using agar first. Bod's Comprehensive AGAR Tek is great for walking you through all the steps for this. Roger Rabbit also put together a great video for it, which made me feel confident in working with the stuff after watching it. From agar you can inoculate grains (below) or move over to LC (ala Mushboy or Josex).

Mason Jar Lid Prep:
You also want to prep your jar lids to allow GE to happen in your jars. If you don't you'll suffocate your mycelium and kill it all. If you don't do it well you'll let contam get into your jars. There's many ways to do it, I recommend using Bod's EAF Polyfil Tek, but there's even cheaper was if you don't want to buy polyfil using just post office Tyvek (ala Yesum).

STEP 1: GRAIN PREP AND INOCULATION

Once you have all your supplies and preliminary steps taken care of we're ready to move into Step 1: Grains.

Here is the full SFF Oat Prep and Storage Tek

Here's a quick overview:

• 1) Bring water to a boil
  • 2) Add Oats, Boil for 20-25min
  • 3) Remove from boiling water into strainer
  • 4) Rinse with cold water
  • 5) Store overnight (in Fridge)
  • 6) Load up your jars
  • 7) Apply foil to lids
  • 8) Setup Pressure Canner
  • 9) Cook (2 hours at 15PSI)
  • 10) Inoculate

The full tek will walk you through how much grains to use, and how to set yourself up to break-down a huge bag of oats. Since I don't have a ton of space to store shit, I'm always looking for ways to save room and keep it secure/dry for years. Not including the wait times for things to dry or PC, there's about an hour or two worth of labor over 2 days in this step (i.e. if I start Monday night after work I'll finish up with inoculation somewhere Tuesday night).

STEP 2: COIR PREP

After your grains have colonized, you'll need to prepare your coir to add your grain-spawn to.

Here is the full SFF Coir Prep Tek

Here's the quick overview:
  • 1) Take 550g of coir.
  • 2) Boil 2.5L of water +1 cup
  • 3) Put 2 cups of boiling water into a cooler for 10 min to pre-heat the cooler
  • 4) Dump out the water
  • 5) Add the coir the cooler, then pour the remaining boiling water over it
  • 6) Close lid, wait 60 min
  • 7) After an hour stir up the coir to try make sure you don't get dry spots
  • 8) Wait until cool (I just wait overnight)

This process should get you coir that is "Just Under Field Capacity". Many people focus on making sure the coir is wet enough when aiming for "field capacity," however the proper mentality is making sure it's DRY enough as over-saturated substrates create better environments for bacteria, and invites deformation and mutation in mushrooms, as well as small fruits and weak yields. This process will take one night, and maybe about an hour of actual labor at most with a few waiting points.

STEP 3: SHOEBOX ASSEMBLY, HARVEST, and SOAK

When you have both colonized grain spawn and your coir has been prepped it's time to combine them together in a shoebox.

Here is the full SFF Shoebox Assembly Tek

Here's the quick overview:
  • 1) Empty 2 myco-pints (or 1 myco-quarts) into a shoebox
  • 2) Add 2 pints of coir to spawn, and set aside 1 pint of coir
  • 3) Mix up the grains and coir
  • 4) Tamp down the surface and edges to get a flat surface
  • 5) Add final pint for top coat, also tamping down this top coat, then spraying it down
  • 6) Wait for flush one to come in
  • 7) Harvest
  • 8) Soak
  • 9) Repeat steps 6-8 until you're exhausted

So for the coir we got things "just below field capacity," now we need to kind of make up for that extra moisture we took out. The key to this step is the top coat. Adding the pseudo-casing and saturating it gives the shrooms the moisture they need while not putting any of that moisture in places that will encourage side or bottom pins. This is the easiest step. I can assemble 5 shoeboxes in less than 30 minutes and then you just set them to the side for a while.

STEP 4: ENJOY YOUR HARVEST!

This is a fake step. You can hate your harvest for all I care. If you follow this Tek through entirely you should have just spent about two months waiting for your first set of mushrooms (2-3 weeks to get clean agar, 2-3 weeks to get colonized grain, and 3-4 weeks to get to your first flush). So where do you go from here? Well, the possibilities are endless. You essentially have all the supplies to do this over and over without spending much more money.

I would venture to say that you could easily grow 12.5lbs of dry mushrooms with this process for around $150 total. That materials list will include things you can keep using forever (Pressure Canner), and some of the items will last for even longer than those first 12.5lbs (like the oats). That's a pretty cheap investment in a hobby that will likely take over you life.

Hello, my name is ShaperDreaming and I'm a mycoholic. Here's my story...

Edited by ShaperDreaming (06/13/19 04:03 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineEatshroomsoften
Friend
Male User Gallery

Loc: Nowhere
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming] * 1
    #26043953 - 06/10/19 01:59 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

This is easy AF to look at. And there’s something here everyone can enjoy.

--------------------
May light from burning bridges behind me guide the way
Before I post with a question I check some links

OfflineMLPismyOPSEC
That One Ponyfucker
I'm a teapot

Loc: Equestria? Mordor? Wester... Flag
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming] * 3
    #26044091 - 06/10/19 03:04 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
Hello, my name is ShaperDreaming and I'm a mycoholic.

[flat tone] Hiiii Shaperrrrr.

This kicks ass, very nice work! :rockon: Your writeups are excellent.

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Eatshroomsoften] * 1
    #26044143 - 06/10/19 03:28 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks ya'll! I hope it's helpful.

Quote:

Eatmore_lessoften said:
This is easy AF to look at.

Thanks, that's one of those things I was aiming for. Once, many moons ago, I was a publisher so I just like having things easily visually accessible. I'm also hopeful that as people use this they can just refer back to this thread for the TLDR list style, as that's usually all I need after the first time I've done the process.

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Male
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming] * 2
    #26045971 - 06/11/19 01:52 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for this! I've been looking extensively at thread after thread of teks, looking to piece together the entire process that I'll be using for my first grow. This is probably the best shoebox thread I've seen (and I've seen lots of good ones)!

I just have one question. I'm definitely planning on working with agar, and after much reading I'm still left with one question that I can't seem to answer

In going from colonize agar to grains, do you do agar chunk-to-grain jar? Do you inoculate each of your grain jars w/ different pieces of agar? Or do you do one A2G to make a master jar and then G2G for the rest?

Thanks!

Edited by meowjinx (06/11/19 01:53 PM)

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming] * 2
    #26046067 - 06/11/19 02:34 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Very comprehensive :yesnod:

Excellent write-up. U put in dat work :awesomenod:

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: meowjinx] * 3
    #26046094 - 06/11/19 02:50 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks! It did seem like there was a gap in teks that cover the process from start to finish, most teks just talk about piece of the process. Usually this is helpful, but I wanted to show the whole process so people could pick and choose what parts work for them, or go through the whole process start to finish.

Quote:

meowjinx said:
In going from colonize agar to grains, do you do agar chunk-to-grain jar? Do you inoculate each of your grain jars w/ different pieces of agar? Or do you do one A2G to make a master jar and then G2G for the rest?

So you're going to take a hunk of colonized agar and drop it into a grain jar (for advanced techniques look up "tiger drop"). When I'm not feeling super confident about my mycelium on agar I drop smaller amounts into it, and when I'm confident I'll drop whole plates practically. RR put together a video showing this (though, I'm not super excited about how his hands go over the agar as much as they do).

Offlinemeowjinx
Stranger
Male
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: ShaperDreaming] * 1
    #26046174 - 06/11/19 03:34 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
Thanks! It did seem like there was a gap in teks that cover the process from start to finish, most teks just talk about piece of the process. Usually this is helpful, but I wanted to show the whole process so people could pick and choose what parts work for them, or go through the whole process start to finish.

Quote:

meowjinx said:

So you're going to take a hunk of colonized agar and drop it into a grain jar (for advanced techniques look up "tiger drop"). When I'm not feeling super confident about my mycelium on agar I drop smaller amounts into it, and when I'm confident I'll drop whole plates practically. RR put together a video showing this (though, I'm not super excited about how his hands go over the agar as much as they do).

Perfect! Appreciate it. This thread and your other thread "SFF Shoebox Assembly TEK" are masterpieces. Going to be following very closely 'cause they have pretty much all the info needed for the whole process

OfflineJot
Male

Loc: East of the Cascades, Wa
    #26129151 - 08/09/19 09:56 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Think this could be adapted to Pan Cyans? Or P. Mexicana?

--------------------
The goal of spiritual life is not altered states, but altered traits

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Jot] * 1
    #26132454 - 08/12/19 03:39 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Jot said:

Well, I don't know about adapting it for pans because those take quite a bit more specific situations, but from my understanding you could very likely substitue cubes for mexicana as it is :shrug: I've finally got some of them on agar right now and will update it if that works.

Also, I'll be working on a pan tek as everything pan cult related is really complicated. Maybe I'll fail, but I'm hopeful that I'll streamline this process some for easier colonization of pans at the very least. Fruiting seems to be set to hard mode for them though.

OfflineCrackatoa
Stranger in a strange land
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #26132458 - 08/12/19 03:44 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Can't wait for that pan Tek shaper, how about a rough outline 😆

--------------------

Crack's Tek's and Shit

OfflineShaperDreaming
Weirdo
Female User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Crackatoa] * 1
    #26132467 - 08/12/19 03:50 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Crackatoa said:
Can't wait for that pan Tek shaper, how about a rough outline 😆

Eeeehhhhhh it's going to be a bit. So far I know a lot more about what NOT to do than what to do :wink: I've been working on getting these fuckers going for just over 9 months now. If my hunch is right I think that the "easy" but low fruiting method will be LC->Grains->Black Kow->Colonize->Fruit. From my understanding this could be "close enough" of a method that noobs like us will gain access to pans, but unlikely to be good enough for someone who wants to do large bulk grows. By this I mean you won't get a canopy, and your BE will be shit, but you will get pans.

:shrug: we'll see. I'm about to expand a few plates of pan aussie myc out and test a bunch of new methods. When I find one that works I'll start sharing my experience, then if I can hone it further I'll release a tek. It's a while out though :heart:

OfflineCrackatoa

Trusted Cultivator
    #26132615 - 08/12/19 05:28 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Ive got Pan Jam on agar now and was thinking of using black kow as a sub, great minds think a lot. we'll see how this goes:kittylaugh:

--------------------

Crack's Tek's and Shit

OfflineJot
Male

Loc: East of the Cascades, Wa
    #26132887 - 08/12/19 08:25 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

ShaperDreaming said:
Quote:

Jot said:

Well, I don't know about adapting it for pans because those take quite a bit more specific situations, but from my understanding you could very likely substitue cubes for mexicana as it is :shrug: I've finally got some of them on agar right now and will update it if that works.

Also, I'll be working on a pan tek as everything pan cult related is really complicated. Maybe I'll fail, but I'm hopeful that I'll streamline this process some for easier colonization of pans at the very least. Fruiting seems to be set to hard mode for them though.

I’ve read that pans aren’t much more difficult, only requiring more FAE, a casing layer, and  slightly lower RH after pinning (no misting pins).

--------------------
The goal of spiritual life is not altered states, but altered traits

InvisibleDaisyX
Female

#26141047 - 08/18/19 08:16 AM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Thank you for this! This will be my first time trying the shoebox method. I've been reading multiple posts by you (and others), and as someone else said, they are not just easy to follow, but easy to read! I can't wait to try this out!  :dancer:

OfflinePhreed
Long strange trip
I'm a teapot

Loc: Pangea
    #26234192 - 10/06/19 08:19 PM (4 years, 5 months ago)

So, I’m new to this whole world. I originally had planned on using BOD’s Unmodified tub TEK. I believe the shoebox TEK is the way to go for a couple reasons. The first one being using 1 quart per shoebox. This cuts down on chances of contamination. Instead of multiple jars per tub, it is narrowed down to 1. Throw out 1 shoebox instead of a large 52qt. tub. Seems reasonable. The other factor is how you can increase or decrease production very efficiently. Very excited that spawn some jars!!!  I’m still in the agar/transfer stage. Thank you!!!

--------------------
Not all those who wander are lost. Patience, what’s that?

InvisibleVinci
I'm You
 User Gallery

Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Phreed] * 1
    #26283592 - 10/28/19 10:46 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Why do you do a top layer of spawn rather than all mixed in?

--------------------
Vinci luh you

Offlineattednev
Do Less

Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Vinci] * 1
    #26283671 - 10/28/19 11:43 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Great looking tek and write up! I can tell you you put a lot of effort into this. I'll definitely be saving this for future use. Thank you for your contribution.

--------------------

OfflinePhreed
Long strange trip
I'm a teapot

Loc: Pangea
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Vinci] * 1
    #26284743 - 10/29/19 11:53 AM (4 years, 4 months ago)

Quote:

Slinkk said:
Why do you do a top layer of spawn rather than all mixed in?

Its a top layer of coir. It’s about providing ideal surface conditions to promote top fruiting and minimize side and bottom pinning. Also, less maintenance. The shoebox is a set and forget type tek, as far as I understand it.

--------------------
Not all those who wander are lost. Patience, what’s that?

OfflineCrackatoa

Trusted Cultivator
Re: SFF Shoebox Factory Beginner Tek (full process, start to finish) [Re: Phreed] * 1
    #26284779 - 10/29/19 12:06 PM (4 years, 4 months ago)

:whathesaid:

--------------------

Crack's Tek's and Shit

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale