Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Here and there
Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted..
    #2612241 - 04/28/04 06:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted, says Powell - by: David Gollust in Berlin 28 Apr 2004, 18:48 UTC

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell joined foreign ministers and other officials from 55 countries in Berlin Wednesday for a conference on the resurgence of anti-Semitism in Europe and elsewhere. Mr. Powell said opposition to Israeli policies is no excuse for attacks against Jews.

At least some portion of recent attacks on Jewish individuals and property in Europe have been attributed to Muslim youths and others angered by Israel's treatment of Palestinians.

In his policy address to the conference, Mr. Powell said that hate crimes against Jews are just that, crimes, which should be aggressively prosecuted and not shrugged off as side-effects of the Middle East conflict.

"Political disagreements do not justify physical assaults against Jews in our streets, the destruction of Jewish schools or the desecration of synagogues or cemeteries," he said. "There is no justification for anti-Semitism. It is not anti-Semitic to criticize the policies of the state of Israel, but the line is crossed when Israel or its leaders are demonized or vilified, for example, by the use of Nazi symbols and racist caricatures."

Mr. Powell came with a high-level delegation of U.S. congressmen and other leaders, including Holocaust survivor and author Elie Weisel, who also condemned as particularly contemptuous comparisons of Israel's treatment of Palestinians with Nazi atrocities against Jews.

Mr. Weisel, the 1986 Nobel Peace laureate for his writing on the horrors of the Nazi era, stressed the importance of having the conference in the German capital and said he hopes the meeting will produce a powerful message against anti-Semitism in all languages, to everyone in the world.

The meeting, staged by the Organization for Security and Cooperation in Europe, the OSCE, is the third international conference in the last year on the issue.

An Israeli watchddog group reported last week that worldwide incidents against Jews and vandalism against Jewish sites increased by 15 percent in 2003 over the previous year, with France, Britain, Russia, Germany and Canada having the highest number of such cases.

Some delegates here expressed concern that anti-Semitism may increase with the expansion of the European Union, contending that the EU's new central and eastern European members have lagged in tackling the problem.

---------------------

And the world says that the United States government is biased in favour of the Jews. Where on Earth would they get such foolish ideas? If other groups are targeted, well, if they're not Jewish then it' OK? Jerk-offs. Murder, vandalism, assault are all crimes and should be treated as such. To label one a 'hate crime' because the victim falls into a specific group is outrageous.

--------------------
<~>Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake <~>

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlined33p
Welcome to Violence

Loc: the shores of Tripoli
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: grib]
    #2612252 - 04/28/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

What the person was thinking at the time of the crime should have no effect on what they are charged with nor the sentence they recieve. Hate crimes are some fucked up 1984 kinda shit, ya heard.

--------------------
I'm a nihilist. Lets be friends.

bang bang

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2612256 - 04/28/04 06:11 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

" Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. "

could have been reduced to "crimes should be aggressivley prosecuted." - that is if u think prosecution works, which history has shown it hasnt.

i would say let them kill each other.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: d33p]
    #2612259 - 04/28/04 06:12 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Ya. If someone kicks a guy's ass, it shouldn't matter whether it's because of his Yamulka or for his wallet.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

InvisibleEvolving
Resident Cynic

Loc: Apt #6, The Village
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: d33p]
    #2612266 - 04/28/04 06:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:thumbup: Word y'all.

--------------------
To call humans 'rational beings' does injustice to the term, 'rational.'  Humans are capable of rational thought, but it is not their essence.  Humans are animals, beasts with complex brains.  Humans, more often than not, utilize their cerebrum to rationalize what their primal instincts, their preconceived notions, and their emotional desires have presented as goals - humans are rationalizing beings.

Offlinegermin8tionn8ion
enthusiast
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: silversoul7]
    #2612295 - 04/28/04 06:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

And it certaintly should matter for Jews soley, as the article seems to indicate.

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2612423 - 04/28/04 06:55 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

hate crimes against recreational drug users should be heavily prosecuted.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2612455 - 04/28/04 07:08 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
hate crimes against recreational drug users should be heavily prosecuted.

Ya, but who's gonna prosecute the government?

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: silversoul7]
    #2612470 - 04/28/04 07:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I'm not sure you can call that "hate crimes", merely "crimes of rampant stupidity".

Either way..... the concept of hate crimes is as dumb as it gets.

Dead is dead. Mugged is mugged. Beaten is beaten.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2612874 - 04/28/04 08:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Should there be a difference in prosecution between crimes of passion and premeditation (1st vs 2nd degree)? If so, isn't that to do with what was in the person's head?

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: Tao]
    #2612900 - 04/28/04 08:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Should there be a difference in prosecution between crimes of passion and premeditation (1st vs 2nd degree)? If so, isn't that to do with what was in the person's head?

If one takes a life and that taking of life is not in defence against an agressor it's murder.

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecut [Re: grib]
    #2612913 - 04/28/04 08:59 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

he's talking about premeditation, not defense.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: Tao]
    #2612984 - 04/28/04 09:26 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Should there be a difference in prosecution between crimes of passion and premeditation (1st vs 2nd degree)?

Yes.

Quote:

If so, isn't that to do with what was in the person's head?

That's not the same. If someone kills a gay, are they any more dead than a straight would be?

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecuted.. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #2612988 - 04/28/04 09:29 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

That's not the same. If someone kills a gay, are they any more dead than a straight would be?

If a guy catches his wife cheating and kills her, is she any more dead than someone shot in a bank robbery?

--------------------

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecut [Re: ]
    #2613000 - 04/28/04 09:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

mushmaster said:
he's talking about premeditation, not defense.

Sorry, I'm not clear on your point. He referenced 'premediation' and 'crimes of passion' My comment was simply, 'If one takes a life and that taking of life is not in defence against an agressor it's murder.' My meaning was that if one kills and it is not in defence against an agressor then I believe it to be murder.

--------------------

OfflineTao
Village Genius

Loc: San Diego
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecut [Re: grib]
    #2613026 - 04/28/04 09:41 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I mean that right now (as i understand it) 1st degree murder is when you plan out a murder ahead of time and commit it (premeditated) and 2nd degree murder is when you kill someone in a rage of anger directly after the triggering event, i.e. walking in on your wife cheating on you (crime of passion) . 1st degree carries a stiffer penalty than 2nd degree.

oh and this has nothing to do with self-defense.

--------------------
Magash's Grain Tek  + Tub-in-Tub Incubator + Magash's PMP + SBP Tek + Dunking = Practically all a newbie grower needs :thumbup:

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#2613036 - 04/28/04 09:43 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

:wtf:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#2613065 - 04/28/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Perhaps it wasn't the best example, but the point was that whether a crime is premeditated or not does not change the outcome. This is not to say that I believe there should be no distinction between the two, nor do I believe that hate crime legislation is just. I believe that the motive should not be a determinant on the sentencing, but that intent should.

--------------------

Offlinegrib
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Hate Crimes Against Jews Should Be Aggressively Prosecut [Re: Tao]
    #2613079 - 04/28/04 09:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

TaoTeChing said:
...oh and this has nothing to do with self-defense.

semantics... lalalala... nm  :tongue:

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #2614165 - 04/29/04 02:10 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

...or if someone shoots an unarmed intruder as they're slipping out the back door?

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Political Discussion