Home | Community | Message Board

The Spore Depot
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Autoclave, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinenimbus
audiophile
 User Gallery

Loc: third stone from the sun
whom to believe on subject pasteurization???
    #2611708 - 04/28/04 04:10 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

so I went to the fields near my dorm and collected some dung today!
it was nicely dry.. so I have another question on poo now:

are the FAQ 100% trustworthy? because it says one can pasteurize dung in the microwave by letting the substrate in there for 5-8 min. on HIGH... But some say this is wrong and will not suffice for pasteurization, bec. it normally takes 1-2 hours in hot water.. so what? who's right?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: whom to believe on subject pasteurization??? [Re: nimbus]
    #2611927 - 04/28/04 04:54 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I certainly wouldn't depend on the microwave method if it were me. The reason is that the pasturization process is sort of delicate, in a sense that the temp has to be in a certain window ,and above or below that is a really bad thing. Too low and you dont kill all of the bad stuff you want to get rid of. Too high and you kill the good stuff that you want to keep and that is the whole key to pasturizing instead of sterilizing. You want to keep the good bacteria that will feed on the bad ones. Since the substrate is a perfect breeding ground for contamination ,as well as your shrooms, killing everything off would leave it wide open with a big sign out front that says"come on in the place is empty/" So very simply put this is why a microwave wouldnt be good at all. There just isnt any good way to keep the temps around 160-170deg for long enough. You should definately go with the pot on the stove ,or doing it in the oven after you have added the desired amount of water. Basically you want it to be at 170 deg for about two hours either way. Hope this helps clear this up for you!

Mykey

--------------------

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

Loc: seeking the truth
Re: whom to believe on subject pasteurization??? [Re: Mykey]
    #2611963 - 04/28/04 05:02 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I pasturized my poo the same day as I sterolized my WBS,will that poo be okay to use once my cakes are colonized?
It should only be about a month or so old when I need it.
Peace,
PF~

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: whom to believe on subject pasteurization??? [Re: pfshroomer]
    #2612079 - 04/28/04 05:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Sorry,but the process only gives you about a two week window of opportunity. I would probably just let the poo dry out and re-pasteurize the night before you plan to add in wbs spawn. You really want to make the best of those two weeks. As long as you are fully colonized at around 14 days the mycelium will be able to protect itself as the pasteurization's effectiveness gives out. NO big loss though PF,just call it practice run!

--------------------

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

#2612116 - 04/28/04 05:34 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

great.....thanks bro.

--------------------
"Follow the medicine path with an open mind and a clear heart, and you will surely find inner peace and enlightenment."

Offlinenimbus
audiophile
 User Gallery

#2612745 - 04/28/04 08:15 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

thanks a lot mykey..that is good help there!  :thumbup:
but do you also know if i have to use a pillow case or is it OK to
put the substrate in the pot in a autoclave bag? that is, does the dung have to touch the warm water? or is it enough that the temperature inside the pot is 170?? thanks again

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

#2613171 - 04/28/04 10:20 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I dont see why you couldn't use a spawn bag. As long as the poo reaches the right temp all the way down to the core for at least an hour it should work fine. I think the reason people go with the pillow case method is to thoroughly saturate the poo with water. You definately want the water that is going to be in the poo to be there throughout the paseurization process. You don't want to cook the poo and then add water. If you use the spawn bag just mix enough water into the poo so that when you squeeze the bag you can see a little water coming out and running into the corner of the bag. You dont want to much water but if you do oversaturate just drain it when you get done pasteurizing. When you use the pillow case method it is always a good idea to squeeze it really good when you take it out and let it drain in a strainer over the sink for a few hours before placing it into your casing trays. Here is a little tip that I think works a bit better than a pillow case for poo and straw. Go to HomeDepot or any hardware store and pick up a paint straining bag in the paint department. They come in 1gal up to 5Gal size and they work great. 1 gals are about a dollar and around 2.50 for 5 gal size.

MYKEY

Also remember that if temps go over 200 deg you might as well start over with a new batch because you have sterilized and not pasteurized. Will almost definately get contams. A candy thermometer works great for monitoring temps.

--------------------

Offlinepfshroomer
MASTER OF MY DOMAIN
Male User Gallery

#2613715 - 04/29/04 12:09 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

yep....I got a candy thermo-meter before I started and it was VERY useful!And it was only like $6bucks or so.
Peace,
PF~

--------------------

Offlinenimbus
audiophile
 User Gallery

#2614674 - 04/29/04 04:06 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

good idea there..btw what's a candy thermometer?

--------------------
we are reasonable people...

InvisibleMESCALATO
hunting.
 User Gallery

Loc: Central Alabama
    #2615102 - 04/29/04 07:32 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...true#Post723303
there is a picture of a candy thermo. in that link to Roadkills Horse Poo Tek

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds   Amazon Autoclave, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation