Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineMrsyrupjar
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the woods of...
Did i mess up?
    #26115138 - 07/18/19 12:04 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

So i inoculated 5 brf cakes on june 23 and on July 13 i saw what i thought was my very first grown brf jar. Shortly after 2 other ones joined him in being ready so today i birthed them. The other 2 jars arent quite as far along as them so i left them behind. My motivation for believing the 3 jars were ready was all based on one factor, pinning. I saw pins growing near the lid of the 3 jars and when i came home from work they had grown much larger. I read that you should always birth your cakes when pinning begins so i did and this is my result.

Once i birthed them i immediately regretted it and am now concerned i birthed them a little bit to early due to there being noticeabe ammounts of uncolonized cake. Should you wait for pinning to begin on the full body of the brf cake instead of acting on one or 2 shrooms popping there heads out? Am i overreacting and is everything fine?

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineCrackatoaS
Stranger in a strange land
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Loc: Over by your Mama's house Flag
Re: Did i mess up? [Re: Mrsyrupjar]
    #26115145 - 07/18/19 12:08 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

How much cake didn't colonize? Is it just the dry verm layer on top? Was the bottom covered? Sometimes BRF jars will start to pin if contaminated. I always wait until fully colonized, I don't wait the week for consolidation if pinning.

OfflineStephie
Stranger

Re: Did i mess up? [Re: Crackatoa]
    #26115528 - 07/18/19 10:06 AM (1 year, 7 months ago)

Well, waiting for full colonization is important.

That said, as mentioned by Crackatoa, early pinning can be a signal of something wrong. A jar is a really small place to colonize so the myc should try it before pinning.

They could be pinning early due to contams or even just substrate/air conditions 'tricking' them into feeling that they need to fruit now. If they were contaminated, it probably helped to remove them from the uncolonized substrate as that would be where the contam will most likely attack.

OfflineMrsyrupjar
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere in the woods of...
Re: Did i mess up? [Re: Crackatoa]
    #26116495 - 07/18/19 07:16 PM (1 year, 7 months ago)

All 3 of the jars were fully colonized on about 4/5 of the jar but the corners were still colonizing it was nearly finished though for all of them white had basically covered everything up just about its hard to explain yes i checked the bottoms they were all fully white. I dont think the early pinning was contams but rather air flow like stephie suggested. The reason that makes sense is because all the pins were up at the top of the jars near air holes. I would have waited a little bit longer but i noticed pinning happening in the uncolonized corner of the jar and it was 3 or 4 shrooms sprouting out of the uncolonized brown portion of the jar and it was happening on all 3. Can you inform me on what it should look like before birthing? Should pins grow all over the whole jar before i birth it? Also how large can certian pins get before i need to birth it. The shrooms i saw were pushed hard up against the glass and were about an inch big. Because of this i felt it might be prone to contaminate if left unbirthed so i decided not to wait. Also does it look fine enough to be ok based on the picture? Sorry for all the dumb questions this is my first birthing ever.

Edited by Mrsyrupjar (07/18/19 07:19 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation