Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Loc: Ten feet up
Do you belong on this planet?
    #2611510 - 04/28/04 03:32 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Do you feel like you belong on this planet? Or does it strike you as immensely odd, filled with a bunch of crazy people?

I can't remember any time in my life when I felt like I belonged on this planet. I like the scenery, the plant life and the music, but I've never felt like I could conform to society, to what is expected of people in these times.
I regret the fact that honor seems to be a concept that has become extinct, here. I simply don't understand people's obsession with the material, the external, status. I'm amazed most people prefer to walk another's path instead of their own, without realising that in fact every individual is alone, up here *points to the cranium*, and it will never be any different.

Perhaps I was born in the wrong time. Perhaps the past wasn't really all that different from the present. Maybe I have some disorder, but maybe, just maybe, the majority of people might be crazy for not thinking for themselves and blindly following tradition. Know what I mean?

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

Re: Do you belong on this planet? [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2611632 - 04/28/04 03:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Did you ever get the feelin? that you?re out there all alone,
No one else can hear you, no one answers when you phone,
You?re worried ?cause you can?t remember the
Name of the girl that you just met,
Might must be you?re born on the wrong planet.

No, I don?t think that it could be somethin? that you ate
?cause I just had the same thing too and man I sure feel great
Now don?t you worry, it?s not something that you should regret
Thing is you were born on the wrong planet.

Now I must admit I?ve felt that way once or twice before,
When I can?t think of what to say as I?m walking towards the door.
For this strange feeling I have I cannot find a cure.
I guess I was just born on the wrong planet.

Your not alone.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Re: Do you belong on this planet? [Re: ChiefThunderbong]
    #2611668 - 04/28/04 04:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Is that a quote, or did you write that up yourself? It's  :thumbup: either way :smile:

Cool sig, by the way.

--------------------
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.

- Aristotle

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2611674 - 04/28/04 04:02 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah I feel that way too.

OfflineChiefThunderbong
Inhale to theChief
 User Gallery

#2611706 - 04/28/04 04:10 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It's a song by String Cheese Incident ("Born on the wrong planet"). Thanks, I got the sig from Chris Rock's standup.

--------------------
Yeah spinnin' around again
yea caught in a tailspin

Edited by ChiefThunderbong (04/28/04 04:11 PM)

InvisibleDoctorJ
Stranger
 Arcade Champion: Frogger

Loc: space
    #2611865 - 04/28/04 04:41 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

right planet.

wrong time.

--------------------
peace, pot, and microdot!

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: Do you belong on this planet? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2611891 - 04/28/04 04:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I hear that

I think I was meant to be a Roman during their days of glory (or even their days of decline by excessive partying and alcohol would've been fine.)

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

InvisibletrendalM
point of inflection
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Do you belong on this planet? [Re: DoctorJ]
    #2611938 - 04/28/04 04:57 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DoctorJ said:
right planet. 

wrong time.

Yes, I think so too :yesnod:

--------------------
You're here because you know something.
What you know you can't explain,
But you feel it;
You've felt it your entire life.
That there's something wrong with the world.
You don't know what it is, but it's there....
Like a splinter in your mind...
Driving you mad.

OfflineRenegade8
Niggar please

Loc: Orange County
    #2612141 - 04/28/04 05:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

It's nice to see I'm not the only "crazy" one who doesn't understand the people around me.  And the more I read boards like this and find intelligent people, the harder it gets to talk to the average person.  It's like I have to switch off my brain in order to make stupid smalltalk about the weather or who's dating who or whatever other inane crap they're interested in.

Quote:

I'm amazed most people prefer to walk another's path instead of their own...

That's a great description of how most people live.  My mom drives me crazy with that kind of thinking, always talking about someone else's house, car, etc., even staring at their orders in restaurants.  "Oh, I wish I'd gotten that" :wtf:  Never satisfied with her own life, even though we're middle class (whatever the fuck that means these days) and have it pretty good.  She's always waiting to win the lottery and then she'd have friends and be so happy.  No, then you'd just be a miserable bitch with nice things that nobody likes instead of a miserable bitch with mediocre things that nobody likes...whatever.

Waiting and hoping for 2012...

--------------------
I'm just see-through faded, super jaded, and out of my mind. - R.I.P. Layne

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2612269 - 04/28/04 06:16 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

"Do you feel like you belong on this planet? Or does it strike you as immensely odd, filled with a bunch of crazy people?"

yes.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

OfflineAlan Stone
Corpus

Re: Do you belong on this planet? [Re: BleaK]
    #2612390 - 04/28/04 06:46 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yes, the former? Or yes, the latter? Both?

@ Renegade: thanks.

--------------------

- Aristotle

Edited by Alan Stone (04/28/04 06:51 PM)

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
is it possible to be a reflection of yourself? [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2612414 - 04/28/04 06:53 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i didnt really read everyones reply but its not the world thats crazy, its our society....but...

many of you may be saying, "what a cop-out statement." yeah, it is, so what.
i dont blame society for my actions, but that doesnt mean i agree with the of it, either. society evolves, like eevery ecosystem

i dont think all of our society is bad, in fact, id say most of it is good, and actually probably getting better. we've come a long way in our humanitarian rights and things like that...guess what, we are a reflection of our society, and our society is a reflection of us.

ok, this world, per se, is amazing, im utterly in love with her. even on my worse day when i wish i was seriously dead, when everyone lets me down, i can always look to her, and she ALWAYS comes through. guess what, we are a reflection of our planet, and our planet is a reflection of us.

and this world, this blue-planet, is just a drop of water in an ocean of stars and galaxies. and we are a part of that, somehow, noone knows, i dont care who they are or what they say, "that" mystery can never be solved, we are here rather than not here, somehow...and guess what, we are a reflection of our universe, and our universe is a reflection of us, of you.

society as a mass whole may be money sluts, but look into a childs eyes, and you will see true humanity in all its splendor...imho

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Offlinecaptiveharmony
dream
Re: is it possible to be a reflection of yourself? [Re: CleverName]
    #2612438 - 04/28/04 07:01 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Wow... how positive! There are many wonderful 'things' in this world. God, nature, special people, special times, etc.

I do get the impression though that the majority of people I meet don't get 'it'. That may sound arogant, but it seems like they forget about their souls or something. Or maybe they just have a different perspective on life that I just don't understand? Either way, I feel so encouraged when I come on the shroomery... or meet people who do know where I'm coming from who see spirituality as so important rather that "materials" or "status".

--------------------
always in love

OfflineBleaK
paradox
    #2612482 - 04/28/04 07:13 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i meant the latter but now that i think of it. both.

--------------------
"You cannot trust in law, unless you can trust in people. If you can trust in people, you don't need law." -J. Mumma

Anonymous

#2612840 - 04/28/04 08:38 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I know I'm here on this planet at this time for a reason, but I haven't enjoyed my stay thus far.

See my sig. :wink:

InvisibleRavus
Not an EggshellWalker
 User Gallery

Loc: Cave of the Patriarchs
Re: is it possible to be a reflection of yourself? [Re: CleverName]
    #2613150 - 04/28/04 10:15 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

i dont think all of our society is bad, in fact, id say most of it is good, and actually probably getting better. we've come a long way in our humanitarian rights and things like that...guess what, we are a reflection of our society, and our society is a reflection of us.

Interesting you think that, as I've always seen it the exact opposite, our society was good and is now shitty and getting shittier. When this country started out, it was free with great rulers, yet with every war we've had since then, we sacrifice a few liberties for security, someimtes more than a few, and now I can see it starting to take it's toll. It's rare that, once those liberties are lost, we get them back, and to get just one back requires a long tedious fight, even if the information and knowledge is on your sight.

I wouldn't want to be here a few hundred years from now at the rate our government is taking away liberties.

Quote:

society as a mass whole may be money sluts, but look into a childs eyes, and you will see true humanity in all its splendor...imho

Yes... children are the one hope for us... until they grow up and become money grabbing inferior lustful whores like most others turn out to be

It's my personal opinion that, as time goes on, the worst aspects in the society and government become worse and worse, and the good aspects start to decay, such as in 1984. The best way to fix this is, as it has been done so often in history and will be done to the US, have an overthrow of the government, either by its own decay, by other governments of the world or by its own people. Imagine how corrupt and decayed the Roman empire would be if it continued to exist to this day. Every day would be a holiday, every person an alcoholic, all creative thought stopped. It's inevitable that as the worse aspects worsen, one day they'll reach a point of no return

--------------------
So long as you are praised think only that you are not yet on your own path but on that of another.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
Re: is it possible to be a reflection of yourself? [Re: Ravus]
    #2613683 - 04/29/04 12:02 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

eventually, every empire will fall. evolution baby. just about 50 years ago there was segregation and women and minorities had little rights. we really have moved ahead in many areas, mostly humaniterian, which are the most important, i believe.

education around the world is the highest ever. science is reaching new levels of understanding and discovery everday. technology is amazing.

our founding fathers were as corrupt as any gov't official today, and of the roman empire times. those in power are usually corrupt to a degree.

america really is the best country to live in. i consider myself damn lucky to have been born here, even though i dont agree with most politicians, and i hate the fact the leaders of this earth are driven by greed, power, and money...and i dont think its good that when american commerce sneezes the rest of the world catches a cold...

but yes, despite all of our advances, there is still hunger all over the world, the poor are the majority, war is rampant(always as been), we are vastly overpopulated. and we humans may have technology, but we also have primitive minds that war over religion and territory and shit like that. think of all the more postive technology and insight and creativity our human people could come up with, but we cant fight ourselves and expect to survive as a species, we cant forget we are just another big, hairless, strange ape.

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

OfflineAbFab
me

Loc: Here
Re: is it possible to be a reflection of yourself? [Re: Alan Stone]
    #2613907 - 04/29/04 01:04 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i for one am happy here. i know i may sound blind or naive, but i have finally reached a point in my life where i feel like i am in the place i am supposed to be. i guess the reason is because i am focusing on my life as it is now, not what it was or what it will be. i love my friends, and i tell them so. i tell the truth, which may sound simple, but isn't always. and i realize that the time we spend here (though it may seem eternal to some) is insanely brief and is at once both inconsequential and extremely meaningful.

im sorry, i am rambling, but i do truly wish that i could help everyone to be happy and comfortable. i guess that there is clarity in blindness

--------------------
The only true currency in this bankrupt world is what you share with someone else when your uncool.

Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
    #2613933 - 04/29/04 01:12 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

i dont think i do

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

Invisiblelearning_byte
click here

#2614300 - 04/29/04 02:43 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Alan Stone : I know exactly what you mean, that is something I asked myself everyday, as a matter of fact I just did like an hour ago, if I am living at the right time, or it is me in my head going nuts, I ve never felt part of this world, even when I was a kid. Today I was taking a walk by a pier downtown, and I was so sad because I was thinking about our motivations are mostly material and selfish.

CleverName: America is a continent, not a country.

Edited by learning_byte (04/29/04 02:48 AM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology