Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Grain jars look ok?
    #26110882 - 07/16/19 12:11 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

these have been going for three weeks and a few days and only see green in one of the jars. I see some healthy looking growth but then again this is my first time preparing grains. I used 50/50 water and coffee and gypsum. A little moisture in the jars and I gave them a couple of knocks against my hand. Any help would be appreciated thank you.

The last pic is the only jar with anything obviously wrong looking to ME

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRandalf the Grey
Woodland Creature
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: iNitwit]
    #26110887 - 07/16/19 12:17 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Definitely lots of mold in there. Seems like almost 4 weeks to get to 50% colonized means they were growing to slowly (I could be wrong, I have not done quart jars).
What spawn did you use and what temps? I had some jars stall and eventually fail because they got too hot where I had them and the myc started to die.

--------------------
Randalf the Grey
Lost in the right direction
A wizard is never late..........but I can try
Randalf's Book of Genesis: In The Beginning - Teks, ratios, recipes and log entries
LAGM2O2O Grow Log
Genesis II: Electric Boogaloo - The Restart

OfflineRandalf the Grey
Woodland Creature
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: Randalf the Grey]
    #26110889 - 07/16/19 12:19 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

If it is in all of the jars my guess is either dirty spawn or insufficient PC.

--------------------
Randalf the Grey
Randalf's Book of Genesis: In The Beginning - Teks, ratios, recipes and log entries
LAGM2O2O Grow Log

OfflineMyNameIsntTrashcan
Walker of Earth
I'm a teapot

#26110892 - 07/16/19 12:22 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

The last one is definitely fuq'd but I thpught the others looked well enough.

You're spawn is coffee beans?

OfflineSFS96
AstroMan
 User Gallery

Loc: Valleys Of Neptune
Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: MyNameIsntTrashcan]
    #26110895 - 07/16/19 12:25 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Last one is definitely fucked. The others don’t look great either but you can spawn the decent ones  each to a shoebox to maximize your chance of success. Definitely wait for full colonization.

--------------------
How I make and preserve tea

Consuming consumes a man That was never a purpose of life To only crave for material joys Is believing the lie - Mellow Mood

InvisibleFunky Monkey
Human Suppository
 User Gallery

Loc: In your MOM's poop shoot
    #26110932 - 07/16/19 01:41 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

:whathesaid:

Last jar = Mold fest 2019 :rockon:

Others look sketchy as well, so don't expand the grain out to more grain. Just shoebox it to see if you can get lucky with some fruits to work with.

Quote:

Randalf the Grey said:
Seems like almost 4 weeks to get to 50% colonized means they were growing to slowly (I could be wrong, I have not done quart jars).

I do quart jars, and different varieties/genetics perform differently. So not necessarily something to worry about, but for your jars that look okay, they would have been done by now if you had given them a shake at 20-30% colonization. You can shake now too, and in a few days you will be golden I'm sure provided your jars are good, and if they don't bounce back... well now you know they were for sure no good.

Quote:

Randalf the Grey said:

"Dirty spawn" is not what you would call jars with contamination. That term is more what we say when we are tracing back a problem to a contaminated grow that either underperformed, or didn't produce before contaminating because of SPAWNING your jars out to bulk, so at that point, we would refer to it as "Dirty Spawn" :thumbup:

Quote:

MyNameIsntTrashcan said:
You're spawn is coffee beans?

Again, not spawn. Also, nobody uses coffee beans as their grain, that would not work for a myriad of reasons. He means he used a "coffee soak" (fresh brewed) with his grain's soak water when he was prepping grains for the PC.

OP, how long in the PC? 

How long did you soak?

Btw I think 50/50 coffee water is a bit strong, I prep grain in 5 gallon buckets and only add a pot of coffee to the whole bucket. I don't get anywhere close to 50% coffee... That is a lot.

I'm in the trenches with you!

Edited by Funky Monkey (07/16/19 11:58 PM)

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26111133 - 07/16/19 07:42 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

And it creeps up on you. What an awful feeling after looking over them thinking I nailed it on my first go and then took a second look at them and saw that green. Sneaky little guys those spores. I’ll have to read up on green mold more but I’m guessing how that happened...Not wiping down that particular jar top when dragging the needle around to find the hole! I smarted up after realizing what I was doing. Definitely primitive sterile technique but I damped a paper towel with alcohol and just wrapped the needle and set it on top of the lid after flaming it - trying not to expose it to the air when injecting. But like I said that first jar I didn’t wipe down! I don’t doubt I pc’d Effectively and I kept them in there overnight and worked in the morning. I’m going on but I went out of town for two weeks and stored them in my snow tires on the jars sides. Tires were under my bed In big plastic bags that I ripped holes in, mostly darkish but temps were at low 70’s highest mid 70’s. But definitely was worried about enough air under there but I had no choice but to stash them. Thanks for looking Randolph! Here some more shots

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #26111139 - 07/16/19 07:46 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

iNitwit said:
I damped a paper towel with alcohol and just wrapped the needle and set it on top of the lid after flaming it - trying not to expose it to the air when injecting.

in doing so you made the sterilized needle(from the flame) dirty as fuck by wrapping it in alcohol.

alcohol only sanitizes. sanitize is less than sterilize. only flame or high heat can sterilize.

also you should learn to pop open your jar lids inside the SAB and inoculate that way. injecting through ships/noob tape is asking for mold.

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26111144 - 07/16/19 07:48 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

I did the brewed coffee and water soak like so many teks recommend but like funky monkey said I won’t use as much coffee next time and it seemed to my dumbass that was not needed. It obviously works though

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: mushboy]
    #26111150 - 07/16/19 07:52 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Ahhhh I knew that! But I had to learn it. Now I know it, thanks for confirming that! Sanitize vs sterilize copy that. Should have just wiped down the tyvek top with the alcohol. Cheers Mushboy

FYI I fucked up a SAB I made but I wanted to do that. Next time.

Edited by iNitwit (07/16/19 07:57 AM)

InvisiblemushboyMDiscord
modboy
 User Gallery

Loc: where?
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: iNitwit] * 1
    #26111153 - 07/16/19 07:54 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

dont use coffee at all. learn to grow mushrooms properly before attempting to improve anything.

have fun. make more jars:awegroove:

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: mushboy]
    #26111162 - 07/16/19 08:00 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Lol will do. No more until I get set up in a better environment but you gotta be prepared not worth trying to get lucky. And no coffee

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: Funky Monkey]
    #26111222 - 07/16/19 08:21 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Ahaha they are definitely crashing the festival! Thanks for taking the time, and that is some beautiful room my God. Those bags shiiiiiit!! Well my three jars give me some excitement but that image gives me a nervous breakdown.

But I will spawn these and see. But I have to mention that it took two goes to get my grains and the second soak I didn’t use enough liquid and when I came home the top of the grains were not covered and all the coffee water was absorbed. But they looked plump and were still covered in the morning, but during over the next several hours soaked up the rest. I pc’d them anyways, I was frustrated and I wanted it done. Fucked up because the grains that aren’t colonized are the ones that were on top?? And as far as genetics and slow going I think the two syringes I originally got from a trusted site might be a little lazy eyed, appropriate they found me. I initially knocked up brf jars and they took pretty much 7 weeks. And when I mixed it with outgrow horse poo it took over 3 weeks to pin, seems that’s on the long end from what most others see.

Like I said I know the pc was effective just the prep I fucked up, and properly inoculating cleanly, and and and I’m learning and have to this way! That’s me! 5th times a charm 💪

Thanks everyone I really appreciate it

OfflineFailboat
Fuck Up

Trusted Cultivator
    #26111416 - 07/16/19 10:41 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

You are venting your PC, right? It took me like 6 years to Read The Fucking Manual lol

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: Failboat]
    #26112121 - 07/16/19 04:19 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Vent? I made sure to keep it at 15 psi for 90 minutes and then it sat overnight. Prolly cooled for 8 hrs before I opened it. The first time I pc’d I messed with that air bleed and released a bunch of pressure before I heard something pop. And then thought that might have been a bad idea to mess with that vent.. so I look on this site for info on that and knew I had to do it all over again and that’s when I fugged up again by not putting enough liquid over the grains and apparently too much coffee. And i went outside and cracked that moldy jar open and let it breath for a minute and then smelled it quick. My eyes melted outa my skull and I’m blind now. But they do feel slightly irritated an hour later and that was some funky smell.

InvisibleSir Pentinite
Stranger all the time.

Loc: ation Location Location
Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: iNitwit] * 1
    #26112549 - 07/16/19 07:46 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Vent = you're supposed to vent the steam for at least 10min before letting it come up to pressure. It gets the air out.

--------------------
"I thought to myself 'Boy, I'm sure glad there's nobody here to see this because this is exactly the sort of thing that gets people riled-up and they assume you're dying and that something has to be done. Where if you're alone, you know, you either come through it or you die, but in any case you avoid the fuss.'"
- Terrence McKenna

Offlinetopohunt
noob
Male

Loc: PNW Flag
Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #26112571 - 07/16/19 08:00 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah hes right. An unvented PC wont reach reach the temps you need.

OfflineJe77Ce11ar
I'm a teapot

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: topohunt]
    #26112761 - 07/16/19 09:34 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

The jars arent the worst ive seen or made myself, but yea do look kinda weird. Did you shake test your grain? Looks in a couple pics your myc has stalled out, which means hidden contam.

OfflineRandalf the Grey
Woodland Creature
Male User Gallery

#26112806 - 07/16/19 09:54 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Funky Monkey said:

Quote:

Randalf the Grey said:

"Dirty spawn" is not what you would call jars with contamination. That term is more what we say when we are tracing back a problem to a contaminated grow that either underperformed, or didn't produce before contaminating because of SPAWNING your jars out to bulk, so at that point, we would refer to it as "Dirty Spawn"

My bad, I completely understand the importance of proper terminology. Both for myself who is still learning and anyone else who is trying to learn from me. For future reference, what would be the proper term for contaminated grain or agar that is used to start another grain jar? (serious question, not a smart ass comment) :smile:

--------------------
Randalf the Grey
LAGM2O2O Grow Log

InvisibleFunky Monkey
Human Suppository
 User Gallery

Loc: In your MOM's poop shoot
    #26112904 - 07/16/19 10:41 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

In that case, it would just be a contaminated jar or agar dish. No special term needed. We would just say that x jar or x dish was contaminated by XYZ, no special terms needed.

No smart ass-ness heard/taken, and I hope mine came across with the positivity and productive spirit it was written with, if not I apologize. :thumbup:

I (and other shroomerites) do appreciate your sincere desire to use the correct terminology for the benefit of the other members. +5 Brother!

Edited by Funky Monkey (07/17/19 12:48 AM)

OfflineRandalf the Grey
Woodland Creature
Male User Gallery

#26113020 - 07/17/19 12:38 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Not at all. Nothing but love Funky Monkey
Just didn't want to come off as an arrogant new guy
:peacesign:

--------------------
Randalf the Grey
LAGM2O2O Grow Log

Edited by Randalf the Grey (07/17/19 12:40 AM)

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: Sir Pentinite]
    #26113661 - 07/17/19 10:22 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks fellas I am more informed and surprised that’s something I haven’t read about when reading about PC procedures. The first I’ve seen it and I read about it but I jcan’t understand what RR is talking about I gotta read it a few times. Thanks

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Grain jars look ok? [Re: Je77Ce11ar]
    #26113685 - 07/17/19 10:30 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Shit that’s no good to hear. Yeah it doesn’t look right for sure, some nice mycelium growing but at the tops seems like it’s fucked idk. And I inoculated a week before I was going out of town and only had a couple of growth spots, small spots, so I was gone for 2 weeks and came back to that and I had to leave the jars on the sides. And I don’t know about a shake test and I tried not to mess with them too much after I inoculated. The one jar I threw out yesterday was nice and mushy smelling in the middle but when I first opened the jar it smelled like nothing else I’ve smelled. And no mold on the inside. And another question... when it is fully consolidated what will the grains feel like? Easily smooshed between your fingers? I’m thinking tomorrow or the next day I’m just gonna mix with a sub and shoebox them. And hope for something clean! Thanks

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26118468 - 07/19/19 05:33 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

These really seem to be taking offf and the one jar looks to be almost ready and I’m gonna give it another day or two but the other one isn’t on the same pace. No colors yet but I’m spots it almost looks like packed cotton which has me worried but I don’t have the eye for it yet.

OfflineiNitwit
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#26137055 - 08/15/19 12:09 PM (4 years, 7 months ago)

Grain did it’s job. So did outgrows substrate, it had been in the freezer since april so kudos to them. I had a little mold which i hit twice with h2o2.  It looked like mold to me, comparing pics and descriptions and absence of strong mushroom smell. But see if I get sick from eating them but they smelled good, just didn’t smell like mushrooms until I started fanning inside the bag after first opening it so it had me a little concerned. These were all short and stubby for the most part compared to longer and mostly skinnier on the first grow using brf. Quart and a half of spawn used thought it would be a little bigger. Thanks for all the good tips I was gonna shoebox but I had 1 bag left so it was meant to be and I don’t trust my apt air quality etc. bags are awesome if your not looking for high yields. A little fun factor is lost for sure but I’m happy.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Boomr Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale