Home | Community | Message Board

SoulSpeciosa Kratom
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineScubySnak420
Tripped OutCollege Girl

Loc: Orlando FL
Theory on death/ reincarnation...
    #2610966 - 04/28/04 12:30 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

I'm really high but I thought I'd post this thought and see what other's opinions are.
OK...you know how people who are experiencing near death experiences report seeing a white light and can move towards or away from the bright light. What if this white light is eternity (un-consciousness) and those close to death can either choose that or to hang onto waking life (the ego) and regain consciousness. Well what about people who die instantly or have no choice whether to live or die? What if they get the same choice but if they choose to hang on to life, they start the cycle over again and are reborn. Could this be what drug induced ego-loss is? Experiencing the death of consciousness (although not the body) only to return to consciousness later having experienced what normally is only experienced at the time of death? Alright well I have to go back to studying for an exam I have in an hour and a half.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
Re: Theory on death/ reincarnation... [Re: ScubySnak420]
    #2611094 - 04/28/04 01:09 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah, I think that's pretty much it. According to the Tibetan Book of the Dead, at death one is confronted with the 'clear light'. If it is recognized as your 'true nature', you will be absorbed or consumed or otherwise travel into this light and be liberated from the wheel of birth and death. If on the otherhand, you do not recognize this clear light as your true nature you will begin to travel through the 'bardos', realms of angels and demons whose essence is the clear light. If you are unable to recognize that the essence of the heavenly and hellish apparitions are in fact your own nature, you will eventually come to search for solice from the apparitions in one of many small caves - which turns out to be a womb - and another birth/death cycle begins.

I'm not sure that I would describe the clear light as 'un-consciousness'. Maybe un-consciousness of self. The Hindu's describe it as Sat-Chit-Ananda (existence-consciousness-bliss).

Good luck on your exam!

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

Edited by Source (04/28/04 01:11 PM)

OfflineScubySnak420
Tripped OutCollege Girl

Re: Theory on death/ reincarnation... [Re: Source]
    #2611100 - 04/28/04 01:12 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Ooh thats very interresting. Western religions fascinate me but I don't have much knowledge of them. I'm not saying un-consciousness as like passed out or asleep...I mean more like the absence of our "conscious" life....if that makes any sense. Like our "reality" would be stripped away from us and we would be the opposide of "conscious" in life.

OfflineSource
Remainder of anUnbalancedEquation
Male

Loc: Outer Darkness
    #2611203 - 04/28/04 01:54 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

It's hard to explain what is left after the ego has burned away. Empty with such fullness, full with such emptyness. Because this state of existence transcends verbal-logic, there are no words to describe what it is. So, you're description of what the clear light is (eternity or un-consciousness) is as good as mine!

I think there is a post nearby on S&P dealing with the Tibetan Book of the Dead. It really does deal with exactly you are describing here. The book's exoteric purpose was to be read by a living relative of someone who has just died in order to guide the deceased into the clear light. It's esoteric purpose is as a guide to dying while living.

Timothy Leary created a translation of it called "The Psychedelic Experience" to be used as a trip guide during psychedelic sessions. One person would consume a sufficiently large dose and he/she would in essence be the 'dead' travelling in the bardos. Another person would read from the book in order to guide the tripper into the clear light.

Very cool stuff indeed!

--------------------
What you're searching for is what's searching.

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2612485 - 04/28/04 07:14 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

maybe, honestly i dont think anyone knows...and id be wary of anyone who says they have the answer. when confronted with ego-loss we may see the mystery and we are awestruck...perhaps a combonation of fear and facination.

"when i began my practice, mountains were mountains and rivers were rivers. in the middle of my practice mountains werent mountains and rivers werent rivers. but now that ive completed my practice, mountains are mountains and rivers are rivers."

the world doesnt change, but our perception certinly does.

religions are mens egos trying to answers these riddles. thats all.

our compulsion to explain the mystery is understandable, confronting the abyss of non-being(ego-loss) can be terrifying. to the extent that you realize lifes improbability, you realize its precariousness and gratuitousness. you know that there is no reason for us to exist. we should not be here, and yet here we are. how lucky can we get?

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

InvisibleTrueBrode
Stranger

#2612752 - 04/28/04 08:16 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Seeing that every near death experience is different- some have seen the gates of heaven and hell, some were greeted by dead beloved relatives, and some submerged in nature's beauty- there are two possiblities left to explain these experiences. A) The afterlife is anything you believe it will be or B) These experiences are the mind's subjective way of coping with dying, and seeing that the mind secretes DMT during these experiences, isn't it likely that they are a fabrication of our minds based on our preconceived notions?

OfflineScubySnak420
Tripped OutCollege Girl

Re: Theory on death/ reincarnation... [Re: TrueBrode]
    #2613397 - 04/28/04 11:10 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

Yeah....oh I'm definately not trying to convinvce anyone this is true...it was just a thought I had this morning because I was high as hell...all philosophical and such :smile: Just thought I'd post it and see people's opinions :wink:

OfflineCleverName
the cloudsshould know meby now...

Loc: red earth painted with mi...
    #2613588 - 04/28/04 11:45 PM (13 years, 7 months ago)

cool, that what this place is for man. your opinions and ideas are always welcome

--------------------
if you can't find the truth right where you are, where else do you expect to find it?

this is the purpose

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology