Home | Community | Message Board

RVF Garden Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineagentjrr
student
Loc: Mountain West
Casing Trouble
    #2609898 - 04/28/04 02:56 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

I have a casing that up to now has performed very well. It is on its 4th flush. The problem is that now on this flush, it has begun producing but none of the shrooms has grown past about 1/2 an inch. They fatten up for a few days, then nothing. Very few show signs of aborting beyond lack of growth, even most of the ones that are a week old have not had changes in cap color, etc. Just no more growth.

It is still putting new pins, and the pins have a growth spurt up to that height. But no further.

The setup is a rubbermaid with perlite and misting for humidity. Temps from have ranged from 74-82, average is usually 76-77. The casing is a single PF cake cased in straight vermiculite. There are no real signs of too much humidity. The previous flushes had extensive mycelial growth on the stipes. This flush a few of the shrooms have white hairs sticking straight out from the base, they are thread like and not at all dense (a single layer in most cases), very geometric.

The temperature has gone a little higher than in past flushes. And the terrarium seems to be drying out more, but the water level in the perlite is a little high if anything. Could the lid be not sealed well enough?

Nothing has really changed in the environment since the first flush as far as I can tell, and this is the last casing still going so I have no good basis for comparison. I know there have been some posts about this but none had answers that really helped. Does anyone have any ideas?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineempath
I feel you

Loc: Seattle
Re: Casing Trouble [Re: agentjrr]
    #2610000 - 04/28/04 03:09 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Past flushes have been good and you ARE on the 4th flush. Did you dunk after each flush? Maybe the nutritional content of your substrate is spent?

--------------------
"It tastes like burning"-Ralph Wiggum

Offlineagentjrr
student
Loc: Mountain West
Re: Casing Trouble [Re: empath]
    #2610272 - 04/28/04 03:53 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

4th Flush, 1st was excellent, 2nd okay, 3rd mediocre (5 shrooms and a few aborts). But this casing was an experiment anyway, made from two half cakes that stopped colonizing in the jars. So I was really suprised to see new pins. I didn't know if it would even get this far. If anything this flush would surpass the second if the shrooms would grow to full size. It just kept putting up pins, there were new ones as of Sunday.

I rehydrated by misting each time, rather than dunking. It would not suprise me if the casing were somewhat spent. But it seems to have no problem producing pins all over. Only a few have obviously aborted, although as time goes by it is pretty much a forgone conclusion that others have aborted also.

Nothing I have tried seems to encourage growth past a point. The only thing left is fanning more often (Difficult with work) and sealing the rubbermaid better (this did not seem to affect previous flushes).

OfflinesHrOoMeRrR420
Narcotics Agent
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: Casing Trouble [Re: agentjrr]
    #2611011 - 04/28/04 12:40 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

How do you dunk a casing?

I think that maybe your humidity could possible be too high Im going to be starting to grow soon using perlite and misting in a rubbermaid so I hope this doesnt happen to me anyways I heard the humidity is good around 90%-95% for pinning and than should be dropped for fruiting - to about 85%-90% <-- Im not sure about this one ;O

InvisibleHanky
wiffle bat.
Male User Gallery
Loc: Great Southern Land.
Re: Casing Trouble [Re: sHrOoMeRrR420]
    #2611032 - 04/28/04 12:47 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

you dunk a casing by submerging it in water....it's not rocket science.
agentjrr,you need to dunk that casing,there is no moisture left to allow full development.
think of it like this,a casing produces a 200 gram wet flush,shrooms are 90%water by weight.thats 180 ml of water gone from the casings reserve.
you need to replace that water every flush.
place your casing in a suitable container filled with water and use a brick to hold it down,if you dunk for 12 hours or less you wont even have to remove those pins it already has.

--------------------
Coaster is an idiot...
[quote]Coaster said:
but i thnk everything thats pure is white?
[/quote]

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Perlite, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation