Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Quick tip for mixing brf substrate
    #2609167 - 04/28/04 12:26 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

In my experience a poorly mixed brf substrate can lead to very poor results. I am sure that many of you have learned the same thing and have subsequently mixed that stuff untill your arms fall off in order to coat every last grain of verm as evenly as possible.

Here is an awesome little trick that will mix that stuff better than ever and result in optimum colonization times as long as you incubate correctly.---Put the verm portion in a bowl and add the water to it. Then mix it with a cake mixer. The kind with the beaters that come out when you push the button on top. If you don't have one you can pick one up at WallyWorld for about 10 bucks. Then just add your brf slowly as you mix with that thing and you will get a perfect mix every time. (If you have a flour sifter it works great as you can sift in the brf and avoid any little chunks that are stubborn about mixing in.)

You probably don't want to lick the beaters when your done like you did when you made cakes with Grandma as a kid!! LOL

Hope Somebody Finds This Helpfull,
                                    Mykey :bong:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMagashM
Da Bud Guru
 User Gallery

Loc: Near Hilo
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Quick tip for mixing brf substrate [Re: Mykey]
    #2609306 - 04/28/04 12:53 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Good idea.  :thumbup:

--------------------
All creatures tremble when faced with violence. All creatures fear death, all love life. If we can only see ourselves in others, then how could we possibly hurt another creature?

:growingweed: Join us at the Growery! :growingweed:

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Quick tip for mixing brf substrate [Re: Magash]
    #2609334 - 04/28/04 12:59 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Thanks Magash! I have picked up alot of good info and tricks from experienced people here like yourself and am happy to pass along any of my own. Glad you liked it!

--------------------

OfflineGanjaNamja
enthusiast

#2609511 - 04/28/04 01:37 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

i dont see what's wrong with just mixing with a spoon...just as long as you mix water and verm first THEN add flour it doesn't take that long at all with a spoon which doesn't cost 10 bucks and seems much easier to clean

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Quick tip for mixing brf substrate [Re: GanjaNamja]
    #2612002 - 04/28/04 05:12 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

There isnt anything wrong with the spoon method at all. I can definately say ,however,that the mixer does a much better job of mixing it up very evenly. I have seen both ways side by side and it is easy to see that the one with the mixer coats each bit of verm very evenly in about two minutes. I wouldnt urge you to go out and blow ten bucks if you dont think it would be worth it,but many people out there already have one of them in their kitchen and probably just never thought about using it. As far as cleaning one,it couldn't be easier! Just stick it into a bowl of water,turn it on high for about ten seconds and abracadabra you got one sqeeky clean mixer. ( I mean ,of course,only the beater portion of the mixer goes into the water. Wouldnt want anyone shoving the whole thing in and frying themselves or anything!!)

Mykey

--------------------

Edited by Mykey (04/28/04 05:15 PM)

Invisiblevinsue
Grand Old Fart
Male

Loc: The Garden State(NJ)
    #2614724 - 04/29/04 04:23 AM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Have you been hanging out with Martha Stewart?  {the cook, not the criminal} :lol: Good idea.  I usually only mix enough for 2 jars at a time to stay consistent.Did ya ever take the mixer out of the bowl without turning it off? {cake mix, not BRF/verm} :wtf:Shit everywhere!

--------------------
"All mushrooms are edible; but some only once." Croatian proverb. BTW ...
  Have You Rated Ythans Mom Yet ?? ... :taser:  ... HERE'S HOW ... (be nice) .  :mod: ... :peace:

InvisibleMykey
spectraltraveler

Re: Quick tip for mixing brf substrate [Re: vinsue]
    #2616694 - 04/29/04 04:06 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Oh yeah,I have made quite a mess once or twice. Cake mix is bad enough(I think I have made a cake like twice in my life),but the brf/can make quite the mess too if you arent carefull!HA!HA!
It's best to use a bowl that is a few inches deeper than the mix to keep it from giving you a nice even coating in the process. Being able to mix up enough for quite a few jars very evenly is no problem with the mixer. I'll bet Martha Stewart is doing more than just  baking  pie's these days as she is probably now known as "BIG SALLY"S BITCH" or something by now!! :lol:

MYKEY

--------------------

Offlinecool
Stranger

#16355126 - 06/09/12 07:59 AM (4 years, 5 months ago)

i think the main differnce here is the amount of substrate you are trying to mix, if you are simply doing 2 cups 1 cup 1 cup recepe a spoon is ok, but anything more then that a spoon will not mix it properly.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation