Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Loc: W-Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox]
    #25991674 - 05/14/19 07:23 AM (4 years, 10 months ago)

Well done, MeanGreen. Persistence pays off! Thank you for sharing those pictures. Have those pods matured in the meantime? What tool do you think is suitable for hand-pollination?

A couple of weeks ago, I repotted my remaining S. tortuosum and D. bosseranum plants. The ones that stayed outdoors during winter sadly didn't make it. They haven't really grown a lot the last couple of months though. I placed them outdoors today since there won't be any night frost anymore.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26080979 - 06/29/19 01:44 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Did those S. tortuosum seed pods eventually mature, MeanGreen?

Sadly, two of the S. tortuosum plants from my previous post didn't make it after placing them outdoors. One of them was growing together in the pot on the right in the picture below. The other plant looks about the same so I don't really have much hope for them. During the winter when I took them indoors, a couple were lost as well. I would like to point out though that I have given away quite a few of the original plants, so not all of them perished..

I'm left with one D. bosseranum and three S. tortuosum plants which have grown quite well the last month. They're growing in a somewhat shady spot. Due to this their branches have thickened and internodes are short.

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Loc: Europe
Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink]
    #26081066 - 06/29/19 02:57 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Sorry to hear about your losses, PD :frown:
The survivors are looking good though. That bosseranum should already be producing seed, right? I have smaller ones flowering and it looks like there's a dried seedpod in your pic.

My kanna seedpods have basically done nothing visible since my last post. I think the plant went into dormancy/skeletonization for a couple months and now it's pushing a bunch of new growth. Never really understood the cycles of this plant...
I don't want to rush it and pick an unripe pod so I'll just wait for the pods to dry out on the plant.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen]
    #26081140 - 06/29/19 03:50 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

The majority of green plant material of the D. bosseranum is actually either a flower or a seed pod. It's not very visible in the picture, but I wasn't really lacking D. bosseranum seeds anyway. Might start a few new pots now that I think of it.

I likewise never understood the growth cycle of S. tortuosum. I remember other shroomerites stating that S. tortuosum was a winter grower in their climate. Mine definitely grow best in summer though and during winter they skeletonize a bit.. Letting the seed pods dry on the plant sounds like the best plan of action indeed. I'm interested to see how they will turn out!

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26087097 - 07/02/19 09:58 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

So I ended up fermenting that delosperma nubigenum for 9 or 10 days and then dried it in the sun.  I smoked a bowl of it and it did nothing.  Maybe its inactive?  Maybe the plants I used were too young to be potent?  If I ever try again and have a different result I'll chime back in with an update.  But at this point it doesnt look too promising.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26088128 - 07/03/19 12:55 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I remember reading in Trout's notes that the time of harvest can affect the potency of S. tortuosum. Might be similar to Delosperma spp. but not a lot is known about these I believe. I can imagine your disappointment though! Did you succeed in protecting the plants from chickens and rabbits? If so, why not grow one of the tried-and-true plants?

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26089059 - 07/03/19 10:07 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Yes the chickens and rabbits are fenced off.  But unfortunately the summer heat is now killing the nubigenum off.  It seems sensitive to heat and sun here in the desert.  Maybe I'll give Kanna a try again.  I just dont seem to have luck with this group of plants.  Maybe next time they'll go in full shade.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26089355 - 07/04/19 04:52 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I'm growing my D. bosseranum and S. tortuosum right next to a low brick wall that's been painted black. That way they don't get a lot of direct sunlight but it's bright (and warm) nonetheless. If you grow them in a pot, you can try different locations and see where they like it best or even grow them in a windowsill.

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26089825 - 07/04/19 10:48 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I think in my climate they probably need more shade in the summer compared to most places.  I should probably water them more frequently too.  Right now they get watered twice a week like the cacti.  Should probably give them more but I get nervous about overwatering succulents.

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Grey Fox] * 1
    #26094614 - 07/07/19 12:16 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

I enjoyed reading through this Pdf. It was already published in 2008 so it's most likely not the latest information. Interesting read nonetheless.

Quote:

Although Sceletium tortuosum has so far received the most
attention among the Sceletium species both for research and commercial
development, it is clear that other species of Sceletium were
certainly utilized in the past, including Sceletium emarginatum,
Sceletium expansum, and Sceletium strictum.With further research,
these species may also prove to be suitable candidates for product
development. It is not yet apparent what the relative advantage
would be of one species over another.

Wish I could find other Sceletium spp. seeds!

Edited by Poison Drink (07/07/19 12:21 PM)

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#26096565 - 07/08/19 05:31 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Well I just checked my plant today and I found one dried out pod that wasn't dried out 10 days ago.
Left it on the plant, I'll take some pics of it tomorrow and open it. Fingers crossed there's a good amount of seeds per pod.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen]
    #26096574 - 07/08/19 05:36 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

The following is a sentence from that Pdf I posted:

Quote:

The fruit capsule contains numerous kidney-shaped seeds which are brown to black in color.

So I'm curious how many seeds you will find. Do you reckon it's dependent on how well it has been pollinated?

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#26096579 - 07/08/19 05:40 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, that's encouraging. Yeah it probably depends on how well it was pollinated, and I'm pretty sure I have poor pollination technique with this plant. We'll see :shrug:

--------------------
Trade List

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen] * 2
    #26097401 - 07/09/19 02:41 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Here's the dried pod on the plant:

In my fingers for approximate scale:

Cut the crown, you can start to see how the inside of the pod is arranged:

Cut one side further down, now you can see the compartments each containing several seeds (around 3-5 per compartment):

Got a total of 20 seeds from this pod, not too bad I'm happy with that:

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26097582 - 07/09/19 06:55 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for documenting this! I had never seen a S. tortuosum seed pod. I'm wondering if the pods are water sensitive as well, as D. bosseranum seed pods open up and expose their seeds when made wet. That's quite a good yield as well, twenty seeds!

InvisibleGrey Fox

#26097721 - 07/09/19 08:55 AM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Nice seed pod MeanGreen!

:billymaythumbup:

--------------------
IT WAS ALL A DREAM

OfflineMeanGreen
Kratom Eater
 User Gallery

#26100520 - 07/10/19 03:13 PM (4 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks guys! Good question about the pods being water sensitive, I'll give it a shot with the next one.

--------------------
Trade List

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: MeanGreen] * 1
    #26112417 - 07/16/19 06:35 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

Re: Delosperma bosseranum - Sceletium tortuosum - Ephedra sinica [Re: Poison Drink] * 1
    #26120549 - 07/20/19 08:14 PM (4 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting video from a South African farm about propagating Sceletium sp. I should add some stones on top of the soil for my S. tortuosum to crawl over. Maybe my soil mixture is a bit too organic judging from the instructions in the video.

InvisiblePoison Drink
Male User Gallery

#26126624 - 08/08/19 08:40 AM (4 years, 8 months ago)

My succulents are doing good this summer! Maybe I should take some S. tortuosum cuttings by following the South-African farmer's instructions..

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules